News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Totally Unreadable  ( 195,028 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Totally Unreadable
« Reply #1485 on: October 13, 2016, 03:03:18 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on October 13, 2016, 03:01:44 PM
Quote from: morpheus on October 13, 2016, 02:57:20 PM
Quote from: Saul Goodman on October 13, 2016, 02:17:29 PM
Quote from: SKO on October 13, 2016, 09:38:20 AM
This has got to be the most pretentious, nonsensical article written yet about the Cubs: https://theringer.com/god-is-dead-and-so-is-evenyearmagic-d2b4b85eac6a#.pe7cdauaf

QuoteBut if they win the World Series, it means that if a franchise has enough money and a national brand and hires the best front office and the best manager and nails every high draft pick and every high-profile free-agent signing, it'll win, no matter what curses stand in its way.

Maddon and Theo Epstein breaking the 108-year hex on the Cubs would feel like the apotheosis of sabermetrics, the final triumph of empiricism over hokum, and proof of concept that there's no bogeyman we can't outsmart.

The Epstein coalition isn't the first to take on this Apollo program of metaphysical conquest, but we've accepted as a baseball culture that it's a realistic possibility that they'll succeed. To assault the biggest spiritual curse in American sports and even contemplate victory before it's in hand feels hubristic, a rebuke to our shared history and mythology on the scale of the Tower of Babel. Without that mythology, baseball is merely throwing darts at a bell curve — it's Yahtzee with a better literary tradition.

I forgot that baseball isn't a sport, it's apparently a play by Aeschylus, and GMs who dare build great teams should be struck down for flying too close to the sun, or something.

Has anyone checked in on Wendy Thurm? I need her to explain why the Giants are still the better team and whose fault this is.

Holy shit, I just went to look at her tweets and she's blocked me.  I don't even know why.  I don't even recall ever reading her tweets, let alone interacting with her in such a way as to get blocked.

You're not missing anything. Not a lot of salt there.

Yeah she gave up on the whole "Giants are actually better than the Cubs" thing once they got outplayed by the Twins in the second half.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1486 on: October 13, 2016, 06:08:54 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 13, 2016, 03:03:18 PM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on October 13, 2016, 03:01:44 PM
Quote from: morpheus on October 13, 2016, 02:57:20 PM
Quote from: Saul Goodman on October 13, 2016, 02:17:29 PM
Quote from: SKO on October 13, 2016, 09:38:20 AM
This has got to be the most pretentious, nonsensical article written yet about the Cubs: https://theringer.com/god-is-dead-and-so-is-evenyearmagic-d2b4b85eac6a#.pe7cdauaf

QuoteBut if they win the World Series, it means that if a franchise has enough money and a national brand and hires the best front office and the best manager and nails every high draft pick and every high-profile free-agent signing, it'll win, no matter what curses stand in its way.

Maddon and Theo Epstein breaking the 108-year hex on the Cubs would feel like the apotheosis of sabermetrics, the final triumph of empiricism over hokum, and proof of concept that there's no bogeyman we can't outsmart.

The Epstein coalition isn't the first to take on this Apollo program of metaphysical conquest, but we've accepted as a baseball culture that it's a realistic possibility that they'll succeed. To assault the biggest spiritual curse in American sports and even contemplate victory before it's in hand feels hubristic, a rebuke to our shared history and mythology on the scale of the Tower of Babel. Without that mythology, baseball is merely throwing darts at a bell curve — it's Yahtzee with a better literary tradition.

I forgot that baseball isn't a sport, it's apparently a play by Aeschylus, and GMs who dare build great teams should be struck down for flying too close to the sun, or something.

Has anyone checked in on Wendy Thurm? I need her to explain why the Giants are still the better team and whose fault this is.

Holy shit, I just went to look at her tweets and she's blocked me.  I don't even know why.  I don't even recall ever reading her tweets, let alone interacting with her in such a way as to get blocked.

You're not missing anything. Not a lot of salt there.

Yeah she gave up on the whole "Giants are actually better than the Cubs" thing once they got outplayed by the Twins in the second half.

I try very hard not to pile on her because she's got such whiny baseball opinions but is also a woman who probably gets piled on plenty just because of the woman part, nothing to do with the baseball part. But MY GOD SHE SUCKS.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1487 on: October 21, 2016, 12:48:56 AM »
So I guess Molly Knight is the Wendy Thurm of Dodger fandom? Quite a twist.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1488 on: October 21, 2016, 09:12:50 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on October 21, 2016, 12:48:56 AM

Molly Knight actually wrote a decent book about the Dodgers. So she's got that going for her.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1489 on: October 25, 2016, 09:00:22 PM »

Quite a Twitter run for this Dodger meatball.  I can't find a screenshot, but apparently she said something stupid again and deleted it.  Cool.  Cool, cool.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1490 on: October 25, 2016, 11:13:36 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on October 25, 2016, 09:00:22 PM

Quite a Twitter run for this Dodger meatball.  I can't find a screenshot, but apparently she said something stupid again and deleted it.  Cool.  Cool, cool.

Cool story, bro.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1491 on: October 25, 2016, 11:34:56 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on October 25, 2016, 11:13:36 PM

Cool story, bro.

She said "Jon Lester's anxiety disorder just won America free tacos #MAGA" then apologized by saying "I would never mock an anxiety disorder (despite just mocking one) while also promoting her book in the same tweet. She's the worst.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1492 on: October 26, 2016, 12:33:19 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 25, 2016, 11:34:56 PM
Quote from: ChuckD on October 25, 2016, 11:13:36 PM

Cool story, bro.

She said "Jon Lester's anxiety disorder just won America free tacos #MAGA" then apologized by saying "I would never mock an anxiety disorder (despite just mocking one) while also promoting her book in the same tweet. She's the worst.

Wow.  That's worse than I even guessed.  Cool story: complete.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1493 on: October 26, 2016, 07:30:20 AM »
Going out on a limb here, but I bet every take today is going to be unreadable.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1494 on: October 26, 2016, 09:05:30 AM »
Quote from: Bort on October 26, 2016, 07:30:20 AM

Yep. I'm not going anywhere near fucking anything until the Cubs win a game.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1495 on: October 26, 2016, 09:25:15 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on October 26, 2016, 09:05:30 AM
Quote from: Bort on October 26, 2016, 07:30:20 AM

Yep. I'm not going anywhere near fucking anything until the Cubs win a game.

I'll summarize them all:

A bunch of teams who were not this year's Cubs facing this year's Indians lost game 1 and then lost the series, so the fact that it is a best of seven is irrelevant. Their fate is sealed. DOOOM.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1496 on: October 29, 2016, 02:35:45 PM »
"Well crafted phishing emails"? Who gives a shit about the encoded string when the fucking TLD gives it away?
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1497 on: October 29, 2016, 06:42:24 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on October 29, 2016, 02:35:45 PM
"Well crafted phishing emails"? Who gives a shit about the encoded string when the fucking TLD gives it away?

com-securitysettingpage.tk? Seems legit enough to me.

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1498 on: November 04, 2016, 11:04:02 PM »
Not unreadable: Jayson Stark's recap. I got nervous again. just reading it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1499 on: November 17, 2016, 08:03:58 AM »
Who wants to buy me this: https://www.amazon.com/Season-Ages-Chicago-Brought-Championship/dp/1683581156/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1479390786&sr=8-7&keywords=2016+Cubs+books ?

I wonder if Al will spend any part of the book detailing how steadfastly against the rebuild he was. It's very clear from the description ("Told by Al Yellon, managing editor of SB Nation's Bleed Cubbie Blue, A Season to Remember chronicles not only the 2016 Cubs' rise to the top of the baseball heap, but the team's—and the fans'—long journey to get there.") that the book will most definitely be about Al's long and tortured life as a Cub fan and what this truly means to him.