News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Totally Unreadable  ( 194,997 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Totally Unreadable
« Reply #1530 on: May 29, 2018, 03:26:34 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on May 29, 2018, 11:43:50 AM
Quote from: Saul Goodman on May 29, 2018, 11:03:59 AM
Quote from: Brownie on May 29, 2018, 10:33:04 AM
Phil Rogers is back on the pages of the Tribune]=http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-spt-cubs-giants-20180527-story.html]pages of the Tribune as a stringer, and he has not used his time off to polish his writing skills.

Nice links.

Anyway, did MLB.com let him go?

Sort of why the Cubs never signed me. I am bad at hitting, running, fielding, throwing, and pitching. Phil is reportedly bad at writing, reporting, and analysis.

Other than that, he's terrific at his job.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1531 on: July 15, 2018, 07:17:22 PM »
QuoteDanny Rockett @SonRanto
So. We got Chatwood and Norwood. Why not just keep Travis Wood? I bet Kerry Wood or Gary Woods has something to do with it.
3:24 PM ยท Jul 15, 2018 from Chicago, IL

Woof.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1532 on: October 11, 2018, 11:52:51 AM »

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1533 on: November 12, 2018, 11:48:18 PM »
What kind of person could come up with the barbarism "potentiated an inhibition"?
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1534 on: November 13, 2018, 08:24:56 AM »
There's someone on SBNation dumber than Alvin?

Behind Hamels is Jon Lester and his $27.5 million salary. Lester is quickly becoming the poster-boy of paying for past performance rather than future value. He has not lived up to billing as an 'ace' for many years. Adding on $20 million going towards a broken Yu Darvish, the Cubs have $67.5 million earmarked for three players who likely will not emerge as 'the guys' to take the Cubs back to the World Series. When comparing Chicago to the other strong teams in the National League, including some in their own division, they have no differentiators in the rotation.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1535 on: November 13, 2018, 11:17:18 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on November 13, 2018, 08:24:56 AM

Behind Hamels is Jon Lester and his $27.5 million salary. Lester is quickly becoming the poster-boy of paying for past performance rather than future value. He has not lived up to billing as an ‘ace’ for many years. Adding on $20 million going towards a broken Yu Darvish, the Cubs have $67.5 million earmarked for three players who likely will not emerge as ‘the guys’ to take the Cubs back to the World Series. When comparing Chicago to the other strong teams in the National League, including some in their own division, they have no differentiators in the rotation.
Yeah.  He is so right. 
There isn't any team in either league that would want Lester on its roster. 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1536 on: November 13, 2018, 01:15:16 PM »

Behind Hamels is Jon Lester and his $27.5 million salary. Lester is quickly becoming the poster-boy of paying for past performance rather than future value. He has not lived up to billing as an ‘ace’ for many years. Adding on $20 million going towards a broken Yu Darvish, the Cubs have $67.5 million earmarked for three players who likely will not emerge as ‘the guys’ to take the Cubs back to the World Series. When comparing Chicago to the other strong teams in the National League, including some in their own division, they have no differentiators in the rotation.

They should be embarrassed by that piece. After reading it I’m not sure he’s ever seen a Cubs game. Or knows who Lance Lynn is.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1537 on: November 13, 2018, 01:30:22 PM »
Lester's numbers, pretty much across the board, are better as a Cub than they were as a player on the Red Sox. I still don't expect him to make it all the way through his contract an effective front line starter, but he's near the end and he's earned every dollar.
M'lady.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1538 on: November 13, 2018, 02:28:04 PM »
This has become my least favorite thread on Desipio and that's saying something.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1539 on: November 13, 2018, 03:28:04 PM »
Quote from: flannj on November 13, 2018, 02:28:04 PM
This has become my least favorite thread on Desipio and that's saying something.

Just wait until BH starts putting Coldplay shit in here.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1540 on: November 13, 2018, 03:44:49 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on November 13, 2018, 03:28:04 PM

Wait--I thought it was Tonker who was the HUGE Coldplay fan.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1541 on: November 13, 2018, 06:59:40 PM »
Quote from: World's #1 Astros Fan on November 13, 2018, 03:44:49 PM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on November 13, 2018, 03:28:04 PM

Wait--I thought it was Tonker who was the HUGE Coldplay fan.

Only if they cover Waltzing Matilda.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1542 on: November 16, 2018, 02:24:59 PM »

Been away for some time, and just stumpled upon this... Frank offered us just a sampling of the dumb.

Quote2018 was a disappointing year for the Chicago Cubs. Coming into the season, the Cubs were the hands-on favorites to win the NL Central.
Hands-on favorites? Does he mean hands-down?
Quote. But despite lofty expectations, they never pulled ahead of the Brewers, always allowing them to be a stone's-throw away.

Despite having their largest divisional lead of the year on September 2nd, the Cubs tempted fate, ended up in a Game 163, where anything can and did happen. When the Cubs woke up on Labor Day, they had a comfortable five game lead with 26 games to go...err, 27, actually, when you include their loss to Milwaukee in game 163. Following a brutal home loss in which the offense only scored one run, Chicago lost yet another home game in a one-and-done Wild Card game.

Never pulled ahead? They were in first place most of the season, no? Always allowed Milwaukee to be a stone's throw-away (90 miles is pretty close), but they had opened up a comfortable lead by Labor Day?

[url]In the Wild Card game, the Cubs hobbled together nine pitchers who performed really well despite the loss. It took 13 innings before the the Rockies broke a 1-1 tie and took the 'series', earning a spot in the National League Divisional Series. Despite Chicago's solid starting pitching performances in both games, the late-season small sample belies the difficulties the staff endured all season, which consequently led to the Brewers being able to keep pace in the Central.[/b]

How does one hobble together 9 pitchers? Similar to cobbling together 9 pitchers?

QuoteAlthough Chicago starters gobbled up the most innings of any pitching staff in the NL, their starters ranked 11th in National League fWAR, with 12.9, basically tied with the 66-96 last place Padres. The Brewers, Cardinals, and Pirates all finished the season with more wins above replacement from their rotation including more strikeouts and significantly fewer walks than the Cubs starters.

This is shocking that the Cubs starting pitchers led the NL in innings.

QuoteKyle Hendricks earned his spot as the default Cubs' 'ace' by tossing 199 innings, posting an ERA 14 percent better than league average, but behind hendricks is a bunch of names that sound better than they've actually performed. Behind the 28-year-old Hendricks are mid-30-somethings Jon Lester and Cole Hamels. Together, Lester and Hamels combined the total value Hendricks posted himself, not a great sign. Lester put up the worst season of his career by fWAR, and struck out fewer batters than he ever had, even in an environment that is becoming more and more strikeout ridden.

Get this man an editor. Get that editor a bottle of whisky and sleeping pills. I never thought about how phonetically pleasing "Jon Lester" and "Cole Hamels" were, but B-Ref's WAR has Lester and Hamels (in 2 months) combining for 5.9 WAR to Hendricks' 3.5. Is he looking at 2017 which was Lester's weakest season?

QuoteHamels wasn't much better overall in 2018, though he did show a remarkable improvement after his trade from Texas to Chicago. Hamels improved his ERA from an atrocious 4.72 in Texas to an excellent 2.36 in Chicago. He increased his strikeout rate, lowered his walk rate, and significantly improved his home run rate when he changed leagues and cities. Considering the Cubs sunk-cost in Yu Darvish, the $20 million Hamels is owed in 2019 is probably something the Cubs will be glad to spend if he even finds a happy medium between what he did for the Rangers and what he did for the Cubs. Even so, there are clear indications Hamels is in his decline-phase, which is expected at his point on the aging-curve.

OK, so if he performs relatively OK, the $20MM for 2019 is good. Where does it say the Cubs have re-upped him for 10 years?

QuoteOverall on the season, Hamels put up the worst FIP of his career, his second-worst fWAR, and he gave up the most home runs of his career. While we can't ignore the success he had in Chicago, we also can't ignore how bad he was to start the year in Texas. 2019 could potentially end up costing the Cubs $20 million for an over-the-hill Hamels who remains an average pitching innings eater.

Ferguson Jenkins could also tomorrow enter a medical test study that regenerates pitching arms and by February he's throwing 95 with a snapping curve and ready to go 280 innings like he did in the late 60s and early 70s.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1543 on: November 16, 2018, 02:25:10 PM »
QuoteBehind Hamels is Jon Lester and his $27.5 million salary. Lester is quickly becoming the poster-boy of paying for past performance rather than future value. He has not lived up to billing as an 'ace' for many years. Adding on $20 million going towards a broken Yu Darvish, the Cubs have $67.5 million earmarked for three players who likely will not emerge as 'the guys' to take the Cubs back to the World Series. When comparing Chicago to the other strong teams in the National League, including some in their own division, they have no differentiators in the rotation.

Besides what everyone else said about Lester, this year is essentially a balloon payment that they inserted into that contract that Gordon W. still hates. It's not a new cost, not an unexpected cost, and it's one they likely amortized over the past four seasons and the two seasons after 2019. There's a team option for $10MM in 2021, which the Cubs are all but certain to take.

QuoteLooking forward, it's hard to see how the Cubs can go through the offseason without adding an impact arm. At first glance, it appears they have more starters than rotation spots, however, each starter comes with significant risk. Although the Cubs seem to loaded with starters going into 2019, including Kyle Hendricks, John Lester, Cole Hamels, Mike Montgomery (who remains arbitration-eligible), Jose Quintana (whose option the Cubs selected for $10.5 million), and the injured Yu Darvish, the question remains how much value they will receive from most of the names on that list.

I've got news for you, buddy. Every starting pitcher comes with significant risk. They also have Tyler Chatwood and Adbert Alzolay. Risk with them, too.

QuoteBottom line is, depth is good, but with so many questions marks in this rotation, better talent is well....better! Considering the affordability of Hendricks, Montgomery, and Quintana, the Cubs would do well to supplement another impact arm; someone who can step in and throw 150+ innings of better-than-average ball. They can afford to add a J.A. Happ or a Lance Lynn type starter, and it would certainly position the Cubs to take back the division from Milwaukee.[/url]

Happ or Lynn? Does anyone have Mike Hampton's agent number?

QuoteThe Cubs need to start thinking about the future of their rotation now, because if they don't, they will continue to keep pace with their divisional and league rivals.

Do you not want to keep pace? Are the rivals not thinking about the futures of their rotations?

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1544 on: November 17, 2018, 09:50:59 AM »
"...the Cubs hobbled together nine pitchers..."

I guess that I have seen too many Western movies,  but in my mind I see nine pitchers standing in the bullpen, tied together at the knees.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)