News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Game of Thrones  ( 46,121 )

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #195 on: June 21, 2016, 10:55:54 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on June 21, 2016, 10:16:48 AM
Rickon could have zigged once or twice, though

If only his name was Sheldon.

Sansa could have said, "You know, I sent a raven to a guy with an army..."

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #196 on: June 21, 2016, 11:40:42 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 21, 2016, 10:55:54 AM

I agree. That was completely infuriating. I'm just saying that sequence of her riding up with an army with Littlefinger is probably straight from the future books. As far as the show is concerned, it was very predictable and all sorts of questions could be asked, like "Did she withhold that info because she knew Ramsey wouldn't have come out if the Knights of the Vale arrived before the battle started?" (I think no, because I doubt that thought was there, and then she also risked slaughter of her "brother" with that play)... Really, it was likely a plot decision for the army coming in.

They were likely in a scenario where they always knew Sansa/Littlefinger were going to save the day. They couldn't stay true to the real Ramsey marriage, because they didn't want to make Sansa go away for basically 2 seasons, so they had to try to improvise and the fell flat.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #197 on: June 21, 2016, 02:09:49 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on June 21, 2016, 11:40:42 AM

I agree. That was completely infuriating. I'm just saying that sequence of her riding up with an army with Littlefinger is probably straight from the future books. As far as the show is concerned, it was very predictable and all sorts of questions could be asked, like "Did she withhold that info because she knew Ramsey wouldn't have come out if the Knights of the Vale arrived before the battle started?" (I think no, because I doubt that thought was there, and then she also risked slaughter of her "brother" with that play)... Really, it was likely a plot decision for the army coming in.

They were likely in a scenario where they always knew Sansa/Littlefinger were going to save the day. They couldn't stay true to the real Ramsey marriage, because they didn't want to make Sansa go away for basically 2 seasons, so they had to try to improvise and the fell flat.

Sansa was also telegraphed by the theme of the ep: Women leadership.  You had Dany and Yara agreeing to fight together (and all but scissoring) in the first part.  Sansa was noticeably absent from the battle despite being at the parley. So, she's Han Solo now riding in on the Knights of Vale Falcon to save the day.

It played like fanfic.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #198 on: June 22, 2016, 08:35:56 AM »

I believe you're right. I think that the show made some decisions which contradict the books, and require this kind of logical stretching in order to reconcile the differences.

Although, to be honest, I'm still holding out hope that Stannis rolled Ramsay in the books, or at least ate a huge chunk of his army before dying.

One general complaint I'm having this year is that characters are moving between plot segments much too quickly. I have no idea how Brie got from the North to Jamie and the Blackfish so quickly, although I was pleased that she didn't make it back in time for this episode.
M'lady.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #199 on: June 22, 2016, 10:11:13 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on June 22, 2016, 08:35:56 AM

I believe you're right. I think that the show made some decisions which contradict the books, and require this kind of logical stretching in order to reconcile the differences.

Although, to be honest, I'm still holding out hope that Stannis rolled Ramsay in the books, or at least ate a huge chunk of his army before dying.

One general complaint I'm having this year is that characters are moving between plot segments much too quickly. I have no idea how Brie got from the North to Jamie and the Blackfish so quickly, although I was pleased that she didn't make it back in time for this episode.

Yea, I think you're going to have to ignore how fast people are getting place to place because we're within 15 episodes of the supposed end game and they're (the showrunners) trying to be efficient.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #200 on: June 22, 2016, 11:07:16 AM »
Maybe Dany will be along to save the day, but I think that the real outcome of the Battle of the Bastards is that the north will be primed for getting crushed by the white walkers. All the fighting men, literally ALL of them, appear to be dead now. This does not bode well for anyone.
M'lady.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #201 on: June 22, 2016, 11:39:47 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on June 22, 2016, 11:07:16 AM
Maybe Dany will be along to save the day, but I think that the real outcome of the Battle of the Bastards is that the north will be primed for getting crushed by the white walkers. All the fighting men, literally ALL of them, appear to be dead now. This does not bode well for anyone.

We know the Walkers hav a problem with fire.  And "Dragon" glass.  If only there was someone headed for Westeros who had access to large, portable fire producing machines.

And along that line, WTF are the walkers waiting for?

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #202 on: June 22, 2016, 12:10:59 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 22, 2016, 11:39:47 AM

We know the Walkers hav a problem with fire.  And "Dragon" glass.  If only there was someone headed for Westeros who had access to large, portable fire producing machines.

They can't go past the wall. I suspect that the wall coming down will either be the last thing that happens this season, or one of the first things to happen next season.
M'lady.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #203 on: June 22, 2016, 12:13:58 PM »

Mance Rayder once said that there's magic in the wall that prevents them from moving south.  I can't quite remember where I've heard this theorized but someone mentioned that the presence of the Three Eyed Raven (now Bran) north of the wall solidifies this power. If the TER moves south of the wall, then the magic in the wall is toast. There's a chance that they're now trying to push Bran south of the wall now.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #204 on: June 22, 2016, 12:21:43 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on June 22, 2016, 12:13:58 PM

Mance Rayder once said that there's magic in the wall that prevents them from moving south.  I can't quite remember where I've heard this theorized but someone mentioned that the presence of the Three Eyed Raven (now Bran) north of the wall solidifies this power. If the TER moves south of the wall, then the magic in the wall is toast. There's a chance that they're now trying to push Bran south of the wall now.

I'd suspected it was connected to the TER somehow, but I don't recall it being explicitly stated as such in the books. One way or the other, be it through Bran's death or something else, that wall is coming down.

It would be pretty cool if by Bran merely passing under the wall, a giant crack is formed.
M'lady.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #205 on: June 22, 2016, 12:29:07 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on June 22, 2016, 12:21:43 PM

I'd suspected it was connected to the TER somehow, but I don't recall it being explicitly stated as such in the books. One way or the other, be it through Bran's death or something else, that wall is coming down.

It would be pretty cool if by Bran merely passing under the wall, a giant crack is formed.

Chances are that I heard it on one of the 2-3 GOT podcasts I listen to.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #206 on: June 22, 2016, 12:49:59 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on June 22, 2016, 12:29:07 PM

If that hasn't been in the show yet, that's a big flaw.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #207 on: June 22, 2016, 01:49:22 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 22, 2016, 12:49:59 PM

Because you want them to telegraph what would be a cool plot development?

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #208 on: June 22, 2016, 02:36:34 PM »
Quote from: R-V on June 22, 2016, 01:49:22 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 22, 2016, 12:49:59 PM

Because you want them to telegraph what would be a cool plot development?

The walkers being unable to cross the wall isn't development. It would be setting.  Revealing the cause of them being unable to cross being Bran would be development.  I'm only asking for the first.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #209 on: June 26, 2016, 08:34:37 PM »
Jesus.