News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Asian Food  ( 2,930 )

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Asian Food
« on: April 24, 2011, 10:28:25 AM »
I don't mean to lump all Asian food together, but, fuck it.

So, for the first time a couple of days ago, I had something called Soon Tofu.  It was at a restaurant in Orange County called BCD, which is located in a little shopping mall with about a dozen other Asian joints.  Soon Tofu is a Korean soup that is made from pure deliciousness and tofu.  You can get various other meat and stuff in the soup that I gather is there to add flavor.

They first come out and serve you little dishes of appetizers.  All of them seem to have a bit of that awesome seaweed taste.  Plus, you get a kimchi side as well, which is just fantastic.  They'll bring you as much of those as you want, but there are few of them that you will finish.

My favorite of the little appetizers was the anchovies, which were kind of dried out and packed so much flavor that I could have eaten bowl after bowl of them.

The soup comes boiling.  I mean, really fucking hot.  The idea is that you crack open an egg into it and the egg then cooks in this boiling soup.  Fucking fantastic!

You put some rice in the soup, let the rice soak up the flavor and off you go.  Tofu is also a perfect vehicle for the flavor that comes out of the soup.

I've now insisted that we eat there twice.  Two nights ago, I had the soup with kimchi and beef.  Last night I had it with beef, clams, and shrimp, which were the full shrimp with the heads and everything.  The soup just takes on the flavor of what's in it.  Last night, I also had it with a side of bbq pork, which was also out of this world.

I'm probably the only person on this board who hadn't tried this yet.  Anyone who hasn't...go try it.  It's awesome.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Asian Food
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 10:34:28 AM »
We get it, you went to California
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 02:07:11 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on April 24, 2011, 10:28:25 AM
They first come out and serve you little dishes of appetizers.  All of them seem to have a bit of that awesome seaweed taste.  Plus, you get a kimchi side as well, which is just fantastic.  They'll bring you as much of those as you want, but there are few of them that you will finish.

Banchan are really side dishes, not appetizers. Sundubu ("soon tofu") per se is the unprocessed tofu (the appeal of which eludes me), so what you actually had was probably sundubu jjigae, "uncurdled tofu" stew.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 03:11:08 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on April 24, 2011, 10:28:25 AM
I don't mean to lump all Asian food together, but, fuck it.

So, for the first time a couple of days ago, I had something called Soon Tofu.  It was at a restaurant in Orange County called BCD, which is located in a little shopping mall with about a dozen other Asian joints.  Soon Tofu is a Korean soup that is made from pure deliciousness and tofu.  You can get various other meat and stuff in the soup that I gather is there to add flavor.

They first come out and serve you little dishes of appetizers.  All of them seem to have a bit of that awesome seaweed taste.  Plus, you get a kimchi side as well, which is just fantastic.  They'll bring you as much of those as you want, but there are few of them that you will finish.

My favorite of the little appetizers was the anchovies, which were kind of dried out and packed so much flavor that I could have eaten bowl after bowl of them.

The soup comes boiling.  I mean, really fucking hot.  The idea is that you crack open an egg into it and the egg then cooks in this boiling soup.  Fucking fantastic!

You put some rice in the soup, let the rice soak up the flavor and off you go.  Tofu is also a perfect vehicle for the flavor that comes out of the soup.

I've now insisted that we eat there twice.  Two nights ago, I had the soup with kimchi and beef.  Last night I had it with beef, clams, and shrimp, which were the full shrimp with the heads and everything.  The soup just takes on the flavor of what's in it.  Last night, I also had it with a side of bbq pork, which was also out of this world.

I'm probably the only person on this board who hadn't tried this yet.  Anyone who hasn't...go try it.  It's awesome.

You've never dropped an egg in hot soup?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 04:49:00 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on April 24, 2011, 03:11:08 PM

You've never dropped an egg in hot soup?

Cut him some slack, Slak. He just found out someone other than Campbell's makes soup.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 04:56:49 PM »
So...Oleg went to LA and obtained a shitload of weed and is going to get high every night and review every shitbox strip-mall restaurant he eats at while he's got the munchies?

Is that right?

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 08:43:27 PM »
Quote from: CT III on April 24, 2011, 04:56:49 PM
So...Oleg went to LA and obtained a shitload of weed and is going to get high every night and review every shitbox strip-mall restaurant he eats at while he's got the munchies?

Is that right?

Yes.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 10:08:49 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on April 24, 2011, 08:43:27 PM
Quote from: CT III on April 24, 2011, 04:56:49 PM

Is that right?

Yes.

I'm good with that.