News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The time has come  ( 1,056 )

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
The time has come
« on: October 06, 2011, 02:48:17 AM »
Never mind Steve Jobs, Bert fucking Jansch died, guys.  If you call yourself a music fan, and don't know who Bert Jansch was, I suggest you find out.  The word "genius" is overused these days, but can be legitimately applied to him.  I crossed paths with him once, and a more humble bloke I've never met.

Not convinced yet?

Neil Young:  "As much of a great guitar player as Jimi [Hendrix] was, Bert Jansch is the same thing for acoustic guitar . . . and my favourite."

Jimmy Page:  "At one point, I was absolutely obsessed with Bert Jansch. When I first heard that first LP of his in 1965, I couldn't believe it. It was so far ahead of what everyone else was doing. No one in America could touch that."

Johnny Marr:  "He completely re-invented guitar playing and set a standard that is still unequalled today - without Bert Jansch, rock music as it developed in the 1960s and 1970s would have been very different. You hear him in Nick Drake, Pete Townshend, Donovan, The Beatles, Jimmy Page and Neil Young. There are people playing guitar who don't even realise they've been influenced by him one step removed."

... and all of this was said while he was still alive.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The time has come
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 07:18:40 AM »

Say what you want about Mike Nesmith, but when he had Jansch and Red Rhodes in his band, there was some amazing playing going on.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16