News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: BOSS  ( 2,579 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
BOSS
« on: October 22, 2011, 10:40:27 AM »
These are some not very nice people.  I can't imagine that Chicago politicians are pleased about this series.  It is engrossing.  Disgusting.  Unintentionally funny.  (Grammar unleashes a lengthy sentence in which the only adjective is "fucking", as in "Fucking Abraham Lincoln" and "fucking Civil War.")  Scary.  And convincing.  I am a fan of Kelsey Grammar as a comedic actor.  I have not been a fan of his personal ethos nor his politics.  But damn, he is a heavyweight dramatic actor when he wants to be.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: BOSS
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 02:48:48 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on October 22, 2011, 10:40:27 AM
These are some not very nice people.  I can't imagine that Chicago politicians are pleased about this series.  It is engrossing.  Disgusting.  Unintentionally funny.  (Grammar unleashes a lengthy sentence in which the only adjective is "fucking", as in "Fucking Abraham Lincoln" and "fucking Civil War.")  Scary.  And convincing.  I am a fan of Kelsey Grammar as a comedic actor.  I have not been a fan of his personal ethos nor his politics.  But damn, he is a heavyweight dramatic actor when he wants to be.

"Down Periscope" taught me this.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 05:42:25 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on October 22, 2011, 02:48:48 PM

"Down Periscope" taught me only that I wanted to fuck Lauren Holly.  I have no idea if I still do.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 01:38:08 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on October 22, 2011, 05:42:25 PM

"Down Periscope" taught me only that I wanted to fuck Lauren Holly.  I have no idea if I still do.

Going to go out on a limb and say you probably still do. NSFW

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 02:19:01 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on October 23, 2011, 01:38:08 PM
Quote from: Tonker on October 22, 2011, 05:42:25 PM

Going to go out on a limb and say you probably still do. NSFW

Oh, go on then.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 01:01:08 PM »
This show is a heavyweight.  I know that the critics love it, but I wonder if there is an audience for it?  I assume that it gets a lot of attention in Chicago.  One of the messages that it sends is that the mayor of the biggest city in the state is more powerful than the governor of the state.  That is not true in California, but I am not sure why.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 01:51:41 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on November 14, 2011, 01:01:08 PM
This show is a heavyweight.  I know that the critics love it, but I wonder if there is an audience for it?  I assume that it gets a lot of attention in Chicago.  One of the messages that it sends is that the mayor of the biggest city in the state is more powerful than the governor of the state.  That is not true in California, but I am not sure why.

Too many big cities in CA.  IL only has one.  The Mayor of Chicago governs 21% of the state population.  The mayor of LA governs 10.2%.

Add in the sway the Mayor has over Cook County (40.6% of the state population) and it's even more obvious.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 04:37:07 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 14, 2011, 01:51:41 PM

Too many big cities in CA.  IL only has one.  The Mayor of Chicago governs 21% of the state population.  The mayor of LA governs 10.2%.

Add in the sway the Mayor has over Cook County (40.6% of the state population) and it's even more obvious.

The size of the electorate in the city is important, but I don't think it is determinative.  It has to be how well organized the political machine is and who is beholden to whom.  When I first came to California the "Boss" was Jesse Unruh, the Speaker of the Assembly.  More recently the "Boss"  was Willie Brown, who was Speaker of the Assembly before he became Mayor of San Francisco.  But the same thing did did not happen when a more recent Speaker (Antonio Villagairosa) became Mayor of Los Angeles.  The power came from being Speaker, not from being the Mayor of a big city.  But I think that you are right about there being too many big cities in California to concentrate power in one mayor.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 02:29:06 PM »
GOTTERDAMMERUNG!

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 03:16:39 PM »
DVDs for Season 1 came out this week. Kelsey was great.  The rest, meh. Connie Nielsen's accent sneaks out pretty regularly (Danish, not Chicago) which is kinda funny.

Kathleen Robertson. Nice.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 10:58:41 AM »

Didn't conventional wisdom hold, at one time--in your day, Stew--that the three most powerful people in the country were the President of the US, the governor of New York, and the mayor of Chicago?  Not saying this was true, but that it was the perception?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 08:33:41 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on August 22, 2012, 10:58:41 AM

Didn't conventional wisdom hold, at one time--in your day, Stew--that the three most powerful people in the country were the President of the US, the governor of New York, and the mayor of Chicago?  Not saying this was true, but that it was the perception?

I never believed that the man makes the times. 

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 03:30:48 PM »
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.