News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Chicago Bears General Manager Sweepstakes  ( 22,895 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
The Chicago Bears General Manager Sweepstakes
« on: January 03, 2012, 10:22:36 AM »
I shouldn't bother getting my hopes up for hiring this guy, right?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: The Chicago Bears General Manager Sweepstakes
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 10:29:32 AM »
Whoever it is, he already has a coach.

Nothing like neutering the new guy before you even hire him.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 10:51:26 AM »
I hope it's not Tim Ruskell. Please God, no.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 11:27:52 AM »
Quote from: PenPho on January 03, 2012, 10:29:32 AM

Not really surprising since this is exactly what they did last time.

So, I assume they're going to want to hire a new offensive coordinator and then just give the job to Mike Tice since nobody in their right mind is going to want to pack up and take the job under these circumstances?

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 11:28:23 AM »
Quote from: BH on January 03, 2012, 10:51:26 AM
I hope it's not Tim Ruskell. Please God, no.

Don't be a Seahawks fan, dude.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 11:28:54 AM »
Quote from: CT III on January 03, 2012, 11:27:52 AM

So, I assume they're going to want to hire a new offensive coordinator and then just give the job to Mike Tice since nobody in their right mind is going to want to pack up and take the job under these circumstances?

With every passing moment, the Ricketts look more and more like the smartest owners in Chicago.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 11:39:53 AM »
Quote from: PenPho on January 03, 2012, 11:28:54 AM

With every passing moment, the Ricketts look more and more like the smartest owners in Chicago.

Intrepid Reader: Rocky Wirtz

Hi.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 12:14:25 PM »
Quote from: Fork on January 03, 2012, 11:39:53 AM

Hi.

FWIW.

QuoteAre #Bears influenced by new blood of #Blackhawks revival? Source confirms Geo. McCaskey had lunch w/Rocky Wirtz recently

http://twitter.com/#!/peggykusinski

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 01:14:30 PM »

Hi.

Sorry, I was talking about major sports.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 03:32:58 PM »
Quote from: Waco Kid on January 03, 2012, 12:14:25 PM

Hi.

FWIW.

QuoteAre #Bears influenced by new blood of #Blackhawks revival? Source confirms Geo. McCaskey had lunch w/Rocky Wirtz recently

http://twitter.com/#!/peggykusinski

How much revenue can the Bears shift into other corporate entities to avoid sharing them with the NFL? That's a Wirtz thing, was wondering how much the NFL safeguards against it.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 10:08:30 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on January 03, 2012, 10:22:36 AM

Possibly.

Packers director of football operations Reggie McKenzie will reportedly interview for the Raiders GM job on Wednesday.
As Profootballtalk points out, ex-Packers GM Ron Wolf is leading the Raiders' search and "strongly advocating" for McKenzie -- who would likely bring along Wolf's son, Eliot, Green Bay's assistant director of player personnel. Coach Hue Jackson's personnel power would then be muted, which should be music to the ears of Raiders fans. McKenzie is also viewed as a front-runner for the Bears' job.

From Bananaworld.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 10:57:53 AM »
Quote from: PenPho on January 04, 2012, 10:08:30 AM

Possibly.

Packers director of football operations Reggie McKenzie will reportedly interview for the Raiders GM job on Wednesday.
As Profootballtalk points out, ex-Packers GM Ron Wolf is leading the Raiders' search and "strongly advocating" for McKenzie -- who would likely bring along Wolf's son, Eliot, Green Bay's assistant director of player personnel. Coach Hue Jackson's personnel power would then be muted, which should be music to the ears of Raiders fans. McKenzie is also viewed as a front-runner for the Bears' job.

From Bananaworld.

So what happens when the new GM wants to draft a WR and Lovie wants to draft another crappy athletic defensive player, Ted Phillips gets the final say? After yesterday's press conference, the only thing I took out of it is that Ted Phillips is running the show. And that Lovie gets a say in a lot more things than he probably should. Which sucks.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 11:05:49 AM »
Quote from: BH on January 04, 2012, 10:57:53 AM

Possibly.

From Bananaworld.

So what happens when the new GM wants to draft a WR and Lovie wants to draft another crappy athletic defensive player, Ted Phillips gets the final say? After yesterday's press conference, the only thing I took out of it is that Ted Phillips is running the show. And that Lovie gets a say in a lot more things than he probably should. Which sucks.

This seems to be conventional wisdom, but I'm wondering why everyone thinks Lovie's so safe.  If he shits the tub next year, I would think the GM would then be free to make a move, no?  How much power does Lovie have if the Bears go 7-9 and now he's heading into his final year under a boss who didn't hire him?   Is it not possible that the idea is to force Lovie out, but in a way that they don't have to pay him?  Wouldn't a fresh 3 year deal to go back to Tampa be something that Lovie might have considered asking his agent about?  Or something the Bears wouldn't be terribly broken-hearted about were it to happen?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 11:11:03 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on January 04, 2012, 11:05:49 AM

Possibly.

From Bananaworld.

This seems to be conventional wisdom, but I'm wondering why everyone thinks Lovie's so safe.  If he shits the tub next year, I would think the GM would then be free to make a move, no?  How much power does Lovie have if the Bears go 7-9 and now he's heading into his final year under a boss who didn't hire him?   Is it not possible that the idea is to force Lovie out, but in a way that they don't have to pay him?  Wouldn't a fresh 3 year deal to go back to Tampa be something that Lovie might have considered asking his agent about?  Or something the Bears wouldn't be terribly broken-hearted about were it to happen?

But why even give lovie a chance? Just do what Ricketts did and say it's up the next GM to determine who stays.
I'm assuming Lovie has his hands all over that crappy drafts we've had with Angelo?
Lovie is certainly responsible for developing those players.
But you're probably right, let's give Lovie another shot to hire an offensive coordinator, and to lead the drafting of crappy players for another year to see how it plays out.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 11:11:54 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on January 04, 2012, 11:05:49 AM

Possibly.

From Bananaworld.

This seems to be conventional wisdom, but I'm wondering why everyone thinks Lovie's so safe.  If he shits the tub next year, I would think the GM would then be free to make a move, no?  How much power does Lovie have if the Bears go 7-9 and now he's heading into his final year under a boss who didn't hire him?   Is it not possible that the idea is to force Lovie out, but in a way that they don't have to pay him?  Wouldn't a fresh 3 year deal to go back to Tampa be something that Lovie might have considered asking his agent about?  Or something the Bears wouldn't be terribly broken-hearted about were it to happen?

I have to guess this is Lovie's last chance. The McCaskey's don't want to pay both him and Angelo in addition to a new coach and GM, so he's got one more chance to win with his power clipped by a new GM.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015