News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The really shitty thread title for the 2012 Cubs Spring Training  ( 11,191 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
The really shitty thread title for the 2012 Cubs Spring Training
« on: February 14, 2012, 08:36:35 PM »
I will leave it to someone else to start the thread for the 2012 regular season.  I think that Spring Training for this collection of "Who?" and "Come Again?" players deserves it's own thread.  I have been a Cub fan during all or part of 8 decades.  (Just typing that gives me a sinking feeling.)  I have never before felt so disconnected and distant from the Cubs.  Epstein/Hoyer is doing what should have been done long ago.  That is my problem.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The really shitty thread title for the 2012 Cubs Spring Training
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 09:41:11 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on February 14, 2012, 08:36:35 PM
I will leave it to someone else to start the thread for the 2012 regular season.  I think that Spring Training for this collection of "Who?" and "Come Again?" players deserves it's own thread.  I have been a Cub fan during all or part of 8 decades.  (Just typing that gives me a sinking feeling.)  I have never before felt so disconnected and distant from the Cubs.  Epstein/Hoyer is doing what should have been done long ago.  That is my problem.

Cheer up, son.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

BC

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • bricrozier@hotmail.com
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 09:56:03 PM »
So you're the one that should be saying that you've seen it too many times?!?!?!?!?
Desipio is a free-flowing website that occasionally touches on the immaturity, foolishness and outright stupidity of its readership.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 12:08:55 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on February 14, 2012, 09:41:11 PM

Cheer up, son.

This version is really upbeat compared to what I wrote first. 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 01:09:26 AM »
Quote from: BC on February 14, 2012, 09:56:03 PM
So you're the one that should be saying that you've seen it too many times?!?!?!?!?

We're going to new heights with this "BC" character.  Might be time to shut down for re-tooling.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 08:12:54 AM »

Eight decades? 2010s, 20aughts, 90s, 80s, 70s, 60, 50s, 40s...

And after all that you missed out on the 30s? The decade of three NL Pennants?

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 08:26:25 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on February 15, 2012, 08:12:54 AM

STEW IS THE CURSE!
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 09:27:27 AM »

In the 30s I was mostly into puppies. 

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 09:38:28 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on February 15, 2012, 09:27:27 AM

In the 30s I was mostly into puppies. 

TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 05:10:47 PM »
The Tribune website ran a video with Epstein talking about "The Cubs' Way".  I watched it with some dread of hearing something embarrassing about doing things consistently with the history and tradition of the Cubs' organization.  But the "Cubs' Way" appears to be an invention of the Tribune.  I never heard Epstein utter the phrase. 

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 05:37:21 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on February 19, 2012, 05:10:47 PM
The Tribune website ran a video with Epstein talking about "The Cubs' Way".  I watched it with some dread of hearing something embarrassing about doing things consistently with the history and tradition of the Cubs' organization.  But the "Cubs' Way" appears to be an invention of the Tribune.  I never heard Epstein utter the phrase. 

He referred to it repeatedly in his introductory press conference.  Skip to 8:20.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 11:03:51 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on February 19, 2012, 05:37:21 PM

He referred to it repeatedly in his introductory press conference.  Skip to 8:20.

That is embarrassing. 

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 11:40:36 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on February 20, 2012, 11:03:51 AM

That is embarrassing. 

I thought Theo was saying there would be a new way of doing things consistent through all levels of the organization, not referring to the way they've done things in the past. At least that's what I hope he means.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 12:03:12 PM »
Quote from: Tony on February 20, 2012, 11:40:36 AM
Quote from: CBStew on February 20, 2012, 11:03:51 AM
The Tribune website ran a video with Epstein talking about "The Cubs' Way".  I watched it with some dread of hearing something embarrassing about doing things consistently with the history and tradition of the Cubs' organization.  But the "Cubs' Way" appears to be an invention of the Tribune.  I never heard Epstein utter the phrase.  

He referred to it repeatedly in his introductory press conference.  Skip to 8:20.

That is embarrassing.  

I thought Theo was saying there would be a new way of doing things consistent through all levels of the organization, not referring to the way they've done things in the past. At least that's what I hope he means.

This.

It's a reference to the development of extensive written guidelines for playing, coaching and scouting baseball throughout the Cubs system.

Something self-consciously akin to this...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1190632/7/index.htm

QuoteBack in 2002, as Lewis and Beane were collaborating, Epstein worked with Cherington, Craig Shipley, now the senior vice president of player personnel and international scouting, and their fellow whiz kids in the basement of Fenway on a project of their own. There was no established Red Sox Way, so they set out to define it: They began writing a player-development manual. "Everything from bunt plays to how we want our hitters to be selectively aggressive at the plate," Epstein says, "to what requirements we have to be a starting pitcher to how you throw your bullpens—every fundamental and every philosophical idea." They also wrote a companion manual, on scouting, because "what the scouts look for has to match up with your development philosophy."

Those manuals became the foundation for the Red Sox Way. No book or movie is in the works.

It's a good thing.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 12:03:22 PM »
Stew, you're welcome to join the SBox anytime during Spring Training when I live-cast games off of constantly refreshing the box scores.  

It's pretty riveting stuff.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"