News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: First Concert  ( 25,052 )

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: First Concert
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2012, 10:28:11 PM »
Quote from: thehawk on February 23, 2012, 07:50:25 PM
Early adopter, late discarder.  The whole Walkman thing was basically a way to carry an OK AM radio that could get WGN in the Loop.  It still is a more stable way to get a cubs game than streaming audio using 3G coverage downtown (although I've moved to an Iphone)

I do remember that my best friend back in 1985 had the OG Walkman.  The thing felt like it was made from a solid block of aluminum.

ALL OF THI

I'd do that in a heartbeat. Plus I have hundreds of cassettes I'd cram into that joker too. (||) And every Discman I ever owned was a piece of shit. Nice thread hijack.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2012, 12:28:58 AM »
Quote from: Tony on February 23, 2012, 12:18:32 PM
My first two concerts were Van Hagar in '91 and then Aerosmith in '93 (with Jackyl as the opener), both at the World Music Theater sitting in the lawn. We missed most of Jackyl because halfway there my buddy realized he left the tickets at home so we had to go all the way back to get them.

I also saw some kind of concert sponsored by the Loop around that time with Johnny B and Kevin Mathews. A pre-Conan era Brian McCann did stand up too.

Good news for you. I know someone who has an extra ticket to Van Halen tomorrow (tonight, I guess)

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2012, 08:22:55 AM »
Quote from: Tony on February 23, 2012, 03:55:40 PM
Quote from: PANK! on February 23, 2012, 02:14:02 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on February 23, 2012, 02:09:08 PM
Quote from: thehawk on February 23, 2012, 01:55:32 PM
Quote from: Slaky on February 23, 2012, 08:55:44 AM
Quote from: Tonker on February 23, 2012, 02:21:54 AM
Quote from: thehawk on February 22, 2012, 09:27:35 PM

Bruce Springsteen, September 1985, the Orange Bowl (Born in the USA Tour).  Never really had that great taste in music (although they were also the first tickets I had bought online).  Ironically, I did marry a Jersey girl who used to hang out at a Mexican Restaurant in Rumsen NJ (as Bruuuce was known to hang out there). 

I'm pretty sure that's not ironic.  CT?

Also, you bought tickets online in 1985?  Really?  Jesus, I didn't get the interwebs until about eight years after that.  God Bless America.

Seriously - how the hell?

An Apple IIe, a 300 Baud modem, and Viewtron software  (which was a teletext service which I recall became Prodigy, but I may be wrong).  Ticketmaster reserved some tickets for users of the service, which worked about as well as you would think it would.  The good news was, since they had no users, I was able to get a few tickets.

Hawk was ahead of the technological curve in 1985.

And, if everything I've heard about his Walkman is true, I guess he was more than happy to stay there.

Hawk buying things online in the Reagan Era, but walking around with a Walkman in the Obama era.  Tell me that's not ironic.

A Walkman, like with tapes? I saw a dude with a discman today and thought that was crazy.

Seriously, Tony.  You should have seen him carry the thing into Perry's.  It looked like one of those bag phones.

I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2012, 09:15:30 AM »
I think my first concert with a band that wasn't one of my friends' shitty punk or metal bands was They Might Be Giants.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2012, 09:26:15 AM »
Quote from: Bort on February 24, 2012, 09:15:30 AM
I think my first concert with a band that wasn't one of my friends' shitty punk or metal bands was They Might Be Giants.

I went through a brief TMBG spell wherein I once came in from DeKalb to see them play at the Metro in '92.

That's the Cabaret Metro to you, punk. *adjust onion on belt*
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2012, 10:03:25 AM »

Those weren't concerts.

Those were "shows".
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2012, 10:13:44 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on February 24, 2012, 10:03:25 AM

Those weren't concerts.

Those were "shows".

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2012, 10:19:25 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on February 24, 2012, 10:13:44 AM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on February 24, 2012, 10:03:25 AM

Those weren't concerts.

Those were "shows".

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Thanks, Tank.

[slinks into even darker corner of the Internet to lick wounds]
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2012, 02:42:59 PM »
Quote from: Tollbooth Yeti on February 24, 2012, 12:28:58 AM
Quote from: Tony on February 23, 2012, 12:18:32 PM
My first two concerts were Van Hagar in '91 and then Aerosmith in '93 (with Jackyl as the opener), both at the World Music Theater sitting in the lawn. We missed most of Jackyl because halfway there my buddy realized he left the tickets at home so we had to go all the way back to get them.

I also saw some kind of concert sponsored by the Loop around that time with Johnny B and Kevin Mathews. A pre-Conan era Brian McCann did stand up too.

Good news for you. I know someone who has an extra ticket to Van Halen tomorrow (tonight, I guess)

With Kool and the Gang opening? Sweet.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2012, 02:44:34 PM »
Quote from: morpheus on February 24, 2012, 08:22:55 AM

Bruce Springsteen, September 1985, the Orange Bowl (Born in the USA Tour).  Never really had that great taste in music (although they were also the first tickets I had bought online).  Ironically, I did marry a Jersey girl who used to hang out at a Mexican Restaurant in Rumsen NJ (as Bruuuce was known to hang out there). 

Also, you bought tickets online in 1985?  Really?  Jesus, I didn't get the interwebs until about eight years after that.  God Bless America.

An Apple IIe, a 300 Baud modem, and Viewtron software  (which was a teletext service which I recall became Prodigy, but I may be wrong).  Ticketmaster reserved some tickets for users of the service, which worked about as well as you would think it would.  The good news was, since they had no users, I was able to get a few tickets.

And, if everything I've heard about his Walkman is true, I guess he was more than happy to stay there.

Hawk buying things online in the Reagan Era, but walking around with a Walkman in the Obama era.  Tell me that's not ironic.

A Walkman, like with tapes? I saw a dude with a discman today and thought that was crazy.

Seriously, Tony.  You should have seen him carry the thing into Perry's.  It looked like one of those bag phones.

It's only a matter of time before hipsters start in with the bag phones and walkmans. Hawk is starting a new retro trend.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2012, 05:24:23 AM »
So anyway, I'm going to be in London for two nights in a couple of weeks' time, and I suggested to my mate that we might want to take in a gig while I'm there.  He's far more switched on than I am these days so I left the choice in his capable hands.  Turns out I'm going back to (almost) the beginning - we're going to see the Inspiral Carpets.

Teh.  Dog's.  Bollocks.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2012, 03:57:30 PM »
Quote from: Tony on February 28, 2012, 02:44:34 PM
Quote from: morpheus on February 24, 2012, 08:22:55 AM

It's only a matter of time before hipsters start in with the bag phones and walkmans. Hawk is starting a new retro trend.

Great, once the hipsters start using Walkmen again, I'm going to have to go back to crystal sets.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2012, 01:20:15 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on February 21, 2012, 11:46:16 AM
Quote from: Slaky on February 21, 2012, 11:02:48 AM
My first concert was MC Hammer supported by Boyz II Men at Rosemont and I went backstage and got my picture taken with MC Hammer. He was not yet Hammer, I don't think. I was definitely 12 so I think I get a pass.

You mean you didn't get to meet The Funky Headhunter?

Edit: Upon further review, he was already just "Hammer" by the time "Too Legit to Quit"* was released in 1991.

*My first CD

Oh, dear, my first CD purchase was Band on the Run paired with Sonatas for Viola da Gamba and Harpsichord by Yo-Yo Ma. I have no idea what I could have been thinking.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2012, 11:17:40 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on March 04, 2012, 01:20:15 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on February 21, 2012, 11:46:16 AM
Quote from: Slaky on February 21, 2012, 11:02:48 AM
My first concert was MC Hammer supported by Boyz II Men at Rosemont and I went backstage and got my picture taken with MC Hammer. He was not yet Hammer, I don't think. I was definitely 12 so I think I get a pass.

You mean you didn't get to meet The Funky Headhunter?

Edit: Upon further review, he was already just "Hammer" by the time "Too Legit to Quit"* was released in 1991.

*My first CD

Oh, dear, my first CD purchase was Band on the Run paired with Sonatas for Viola da Gamba and Harpsichord by Yo-Yo Ma. I have no idea what I could have been thinking.

The Pharcyde - A Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde

*keeps winning this thread*
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2012, 11:59:33 AM »
My first CD was Kid Rock-Bawitdaba