News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Drive  ( 1,251 )

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Drive
« on: September 17, 2011, 11:18:52 PM »
Good movie.  Very much like a movie I remember seeing a lot of in the 80s.  Lots of interesting characters and good action as well.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Drive
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 12:07:09 PM »
The whole eighties vibe is indeed very strong (neon-pink cursive titles and an exclusively eighties soundtrack) but never really explained - the film is set now, not then.  Nonetheless, it's very stylishly done - so much so that when the (occasional, really fucking brutal) violence crops up it's genuinely shocking.  I'm slowly but surely turning into a huge fan of Ryan Gosling - I defy you to watch his performance in this film and not be reminded of Steve McQueen, and not only because of the driving:  he is stony-faced and silent almost throughout and yet nonetheless manages to communicate everything he needs to.  My one gripe with the whole thing is that the story is almost too simple - it's really, really straightforward and although it does twist and turn here and there, it might have been nice to have something more to think about than how good-looking the whole thing is.

In summary, Gosling was great (as was Albert Brooks, actually), the film is merely very good.  Check it out, yo.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 12:12:35 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on February 05, 2012, 12:07:09 PM
I'm slowly but surely turning into a huge fan of Ryan Gosling

Pause.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 11:44:57 PM »
Not what I was expecting.  I had heard Fast & Furious, but good.

Anyone else get a Shane vibe from it?