News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Postmortal  ( 2,767 )

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
Postmortal
« on: March 20, 2012, 12:34:57 PM »
Just finished Drew Magary's book about a future society that has discovered a cure for aging.

Pretty enjoyable read, though nothing like anything he writes on the internet.

Fun concept and it's pretty entertaining right off the bat. 
Gets a lot heavier and darker as it progresses, but that's certainly intentional, based on the subject matter.

Quick read, fun story.
Would recommend if you want a break from Kierkegaard.

"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Postmortal
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 12:44:35 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on March 20, 2012, 12:34:57 PM
Just finished Drew Magary's book about a future society that has discovered a cure for aging.

Gets a lot heavier and darker as it progresses, but that's certainly intentional, based on the subject matter.

Quick read, fun story.

From the editorial reviews...

Quote"A darkly comic, totally gonzo, and effectively frightening population- bomb dystopia in the spirit of Logan''s Run, Soylent Green, and the best episodes of The Twilight Zone."
(-Neal Pollack, author of Alternadad and Stretch )

"A darkly comic, totally gonzo, and effectively frightening population- bomb dystopia in the spirit of Logan''s Run, Soylent Green, and the best episodes of The Twilight Zone."
(-Will Leitch, author of Are We Winning? and God Save The Fan )

Will Leitch: unoriginal to his core.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 09:08:52 PM »

Quick read, fun story.

Just finished this one.  Drew Magary writes a solid dystopia.

However, I will say I was a little surprised that a guy who spends much of his time mocking Peter King's hackneyed prose would manage to include not 1, not 2, but 3 horribly cliched love interests in his first novel.  Hopefully he was just getting this out of his system.

Anyway, looking forward to reading The Postmortal expanded universe, as well as SKO's 5 volume set of fanfic.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 11:01:51 PM »
Quote from: CT III on July 26, 2012, 09:08:52 PM

Quick read, fun story.

However, I will say I was a little surprised that a guy who spends much of his time mocking Peter King's hackneyed prose would manage to include not 1, not 2, but 3 horribly cliched love interests in his first novel.  Hopefully he was just getting this out of his system.

Anyway, looking forward to reading The Postmortal expanded universe, as well as SKO's 5 volume set of fanfic.

Crap, I hate love interests. Is this a pretty quick read?

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 08:08:08 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on July 26, 2012, 11:01:51 PM

Quick read, fun story.

Yeah, I blew through it in about 2 days.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 12:49:35 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on July 26, 2012, 11:01:51 PM

Quick read, fun story.

Depends how good you are at reading comprehension.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 04:22:23 PM »
Finished this recently. It was fun but the love stories were kind of whatever. I think based on the prologue he got a ton of advice on how to make this book coherent and that's probably something he can learn for next time.