News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Reasonable Trade Discussion  ( 77,118 )

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Reasonable Trade Discussion
« Reply #690 on: July 31, 2017, 02:08:06 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on July 31, 2017, 10:48:29 AM
Quote from: Canadouche on July 31, 2017, 10:37:49 AM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on July 31, 2017, 08:33:30 AM
Quote from: Canadouche on July 31, 2017, 08:19:24 AM
Does Wilson constitute as a the "Miller-type" I was speculating that Theo would pursue?

Not really. He's only gone more than one inning twice all season.

Before he'd been traded to Cleveland last year, Miller had pitched 45.1 innings in 44 games. Even last year, in the regular season, he only pitched 3 more innings than games he'd appeared in. It wasn't until the playoffs that he began to be used in an unconventional way, which has spilled over into the new season where, this year, he's thrown 53.1 innings in 45 appearances. Miller was always a well-known amazing set up man/closer, but the unconventional way that he gets used is still pretty new for him. I bet that the Cubs will try to use Wilson in a similar way to how Cleveland now uses Miller, assuming he steps up and can handle the workload, and high leverage situations.

Is this just because you really want to be right on the internet, or is there some indication besides Miller = lefty, Wilson = lefty, therefore Wilson = Miller that this is what the Cubs have in mind?

I don't even think the lefty-lefty thing is relevant. The Cubs glaring weakness in the last post season was in bridging the gap from starter to closer, which caused Joe to over-rely on a handful of guys, and, in particular, to use Chapman in a way that Chapman wasn't particularly used to or comfortable with. He was basically trying to have his cake and eat it to -- use Chapman the way the Indians were using Miller, but still relying on Chapman to get the last 3 outs of the game, although the Indians had a different pitcher in the closer role.

The Cubs still only have a handful of relievers that I think Joe trusts in those high leverage situations. Obtaining Wilson gives Maddon a go-to-guy particularly in those situations in which they have to use your best reliever earlier in a game in either a dirty inning and/or against the best bats on the opposing lineup. Maybe they have no intention of using Wilson, or anybody, in that kind of role, but instead will maintain a more traditional use of bullpen. Still, this is a pretty good grade that makes the Cubs a better team in those high leverage situations.
M'lady.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #691 on: July 31, 2017, 02:23:28 PM »
Are the Dodgers still having issues against LH pitching? Because now the Cubs have 2 in the rotation and 3 in the bullpen.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #692 on: July 31, 2017, 02:44:55 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on July 31, 2017, 02:23:28 PM
Are the Dodgers still having issues against LH pitching? Because now the Cubs have 2 in the rotation and 3 in the bullpen.

It looks like they are actually hitting lefties slightly better than they hit righties.
M'lady.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #693 on: July 31, 2017, 03:06:39 PM »

The Dodgers aren't having issues with anything right now. Gonna have to hope that just means they'll hit their wall late in the year.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #694 on: July 31, 2017, 03:19:48 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 31, 2017, 03:06:39 PM

The Dodgers aren't having issues with anything right now. Gonna have to hope that just means they'll hit their wall late in the year.

Plus they just picked up Darvish.
M'lady.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #695 on: July 31, 2017, 03:30:27 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on July 31, 2017, 03:19:48 PM

Gonna be some Cardinal-esque bullshit that pisses off everyone when a 91 win Cubs team tops the 110 win Dodgers and brother I am here for it.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #696 on: July 31, 2017, 03:38:29 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 31, 2017, 03:30:27 PM

Gonna be some Cardinal-esque bullshit that pisses off everyone when a 91 win Cubs team tops the 110 win Dodgers and brother I am here for it.

I can't see Dodger fans getting too pissed off about anything. Except, of course, Giants fans.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #697 on: July 31, 2017, 04:04:15 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on July 31, 2017, 03:38:29 PM
Quote from: SKO on July 31, 2017, 03:30:27 PM

I can't see Dodger fans getting too pissed off about anything. Except, of course, Giants fans.

I mean in general I think if LA/NYY/CHI/BOS are all going to be in the mix this October casual fans are going to be on team "Anyone But Those Guys", but I would bet a few neutral observers/Cardinals and White Sox fans will be rooting for LA over the Cubs and be as baffled by their inexplicable success against Kershaw et al as we were in 2013/2014

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #698 on: August 31, 2017, 01:40:50 PM »
The Tigers traded Justin Upton to the Angels. Is there any scenario in which Mr. Kate Upton (aka Justin Verlander) goes to the Cubs today? There was speculation yesterday that the Leake trade was for the Cardinals to clear space for Verlander.

As a side note, there have been fun Aug. 31 deals and near-deals. One of my favorite what-ifs was the near-trade of Jeff Pico and Calvin Schiraldi to the Sux for Carlton Fisk in 1989.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #699 on: August 31, 2017, 02:14:44 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on August 31, 2017, 01:40:50 PM
The Tigers traded Justin Upton to the Angels. Is there any scenario in which Mr. Kate Upton (aka Justin Verlander) goes to the Cubs today? There was speculation yesterday that the Leake trade was for the Cardinals to clear space for Verlander.

As a side note, there have been fun Aug. 31 deals and near-deals. One of my favorite what-ifs was the near-trade of Jeff Pico and Calvin Schiraldi to the Sux for Carlton Fisk in 1989.

Thank you for clarifying what you meant by Mr. Kate Upton, as I would have had no idea who you were talking about.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #700 on: August 31, 2017, 02:46:16 PM »

So, The Cardinals would then think that Verlander is worth his remaining salary (58MM) plus the 17MM they sent to...oh god I forgot to whom they traded Leake.  75MM for two years of a 3-3.5-win pitcher...

Does that seem smart?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #701 on: August 31, 2017, 09:18:06 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on August 31, 2017, 02:46:16 PM

So, The Cardinals would then think that Verlander is worth his remaining salary (58MM) plus the 17MM they sent to...oh god I forgot to whom they traded Leake.  75MM for two years of a 3-3.5-win pitcher...

Does that seem smart?

It's not the smart move, but it's the RIGHT move.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #702 on: September 13, 2017, 11:31:52 AM »
Shohei Otani is coming to MLB next year.

There's no way the Cubs get him, right?
TIME TO POST!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #703 on: September 13, 2017, 12:33:40 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on September 13, 2017, 11:31:52 AM

Actually there's a fairly compelling argument they might. Otani is passing up hundreds of millions potentially by wanting to be posted right now vs waiting the 2 years when he'd qualify as an actual free agent and not be subject to the cap. So the argument there is he knows he's giving up millions, he just wants to pitch in MLB, and whatever team he signs with can sign him to a market value extension after a year or so. So knowing any team he signs with is gonna have to work out a mega-extension with him soon, he's likely to choose based more on winning and culture than the ability to pay him 10 mil vs 300 K right now, because he's going to get his big pay day down soon enough anyway. So I'd definitely consider the Dodgers and Cubs in it.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #704 on: September 13, 2017, 12:42:18 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 13, 2017, 12:33:40 PM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on September 13, 2017, 11:31:52 AM

Actually there's a fairly compelling argument they might. Otani is passing up hundreds of millions potentially by wanting to be posted right now vs waiting the 2 years when he'd qualify as an actual free agent and not be subject to the cap. So the argument there is he knows he's giving up millions, he just wants to pitch in MLB, and whatever team he signs with can sign him to a market value extension after a year or so. So knowing any team he signs with is gonna have to work out a mega-extension with him soon, he's likely to choose based more on winning and culture than the ability to pay him 10 mil vs 300 K right now, because he's going to get his big pay day down soon enough anyway. So I'd definitely consider the Dodgers and Cubs in it.

What the Dodgers and Cubs can't offer though, is a chance to DH on non-pitching days.
TIME TO POST!