News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Reasonable Trade Discussion  ( 77,065 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Reasonable Trade Discussion
« Reply #720 on: May 09, 2018, 10:53:59 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on May 09, 2018, 10:45:11 AM
Question: Is Addison Russell's remaining team control worth half a season of Manny Machado?

Yes. The offense immediately becomes more dangerous, and the Cubs can start their sales pitch early.

Even if Machado winds up walking, Baez can play short and the Ian Happ Outfield Adventures can come to an end until Ademan's ready.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #721 on: May 09, 2018, 11:20:35 AM »
I've come around on this too, mostly because Russell continues to regress. This team is in win-now mode; he can go try to figure it out in Baltimore while Machado slides in at SS. GET IT DONE THEO
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #722 on: May 09, 2018, 11:39:03 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on May 09, 2018, 11:20:35 AM
I've come around on this too, mostly because Russell continues to regress. This team is in win-now mode; he can go try to figure it out in Baltimore while Machado slides in at SS. GET IT DONE THEO

It's pretty simple:

Plan A) Machado Rental, Sign Harper:
2018: Contreras C, Rizzo 1B, Baez 2B, Machado SS, Bryant 3B, Schwarber LF, HappMora CF, HeyZo RF
2019: Contreras C, Rizzo 1B, Happ 2B, Baez SS, Bryant 3B, Schwarber LF, HeyMora CF, Harper RF

Plan B)Machado extension
See the 2018 lineup above.

Either way no one misses Addison Russell
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #723 on: May 09, 2018, 01:34:10 PM »
Quote from: SKO on May 09, 2018, 11:39:03 AM

It's pretty simple:

2018: Contreras C, Rizzo 1B, Baez 2B, Machado SS, Bryant 3B, Schwarber LF, HappMora CF, HeyZo RF
2019: Contreras C, Rizzo 1B, Happ 2B, Baez SS, Bryant 3B, Schwarber LF, HeyMora CF, Harper RF

Plan B)Machado extension

And the fact that he is *allegedly* a trash human being makes all of this a lot easier to take. David Bote, start shopping for the jewelry or fancy watch you're going to need to give up #13. IT'S GONNA HAI
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #724 on: May 09, 2018, 01:39:23 PM »

It's pretty simple:

Plan B)Machado extension

DPD. I vastly prefer these plans to Plan C: Joe hangs yet another "Try Not to Suck" shirt in Russell's locker every single morning.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #725 on: May 09, 2018, 02:36:07 PM »

It's pretty simple:

Plan B)Machado extension

What is the story on Machado's defense at SS? I shockingly do not follow the Orioles too closely, so other than knowing that his glove played well at 3B the last few years, I'm not sure what the consensus is on Machado sticking at SS long-term.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #726 on: May 09, 2018, 03:14:54 PM »
Quote from: R-V on May 09, 2018, 02:36:07 PM

It's pretty simple:

Plan B)Machado extension

What is the story on Machado's defense at SS? I shockingly do not follow the Orioles too closely, so other than knowing that his glove played well at 3B the last few years, I'm not sure what the consensus is on Machado sticking at SS long-term.

Fangraphs/BP/B-Ref all have him as below average there, but he looks more serviceable than, like, Theriot. Manny was -6.2 runs per FRAA per BP last year, Theriot in 2008 was -11.9. so he's probably more "meh but playable" with elite offense than "not really a shortstop."
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #727 on: May 18, 2018, 09:22:35 AM »
It seems that Machado wouldn't be a stranger to everyone in the Cubs' clubhouse.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #728 on: May 18, 2018, 10:03:43 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on May 18, 2018, 09:22:35 AM
It seems that Machado wouldn't be a stranger to everyone in the Cubs' clubhouse.

Really forked that link.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #729 on: June 15, 2018, 11:13:49 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 25, 2016, 11:28:15 AM
Quote from: ChuckD on July 25, 2016, 11:21:57 AM
Quote from: SKO on July 25, 2016, 11:15:57 AM
Quote from: ChuckD on July 25, 2016, 11:12:01 AM
Ah, gotcha. I went to his page and it all seemed to be about Chapman being a scumbag.

Quote"just bad asset management. traded a lottery ticket for a gas station cheeseburger"

I don't like the trade now that more details have come out, but that's a shit metaphor. The expected value of a lottery ticket is like $0.000000000001. Trading it for a gas station cheeseburger would be good asset management.

Yeah the amusing thing is I don't really like this trade. It is an overpay and I think Chapman's a douchebag. But from a baseball only standpoint it does increase their odds of winning it all this year however marginally and I don't think it's a horrendous overpay, just the kind that teams on the cusp of winning it all are prone to making.

I just am not surprised Trueblood managed to wade in with his Smartest Man in the Room smugness and have the worst take of all.

I was thinking it's a lot like the Snork/Hammel trade.

Elite SS Prospect + Billy McKinney + AAAA swingman + something/body else.

The A's got 1.5 years of Snork and a half season of Hammel.

The Cubs are getting a half season of Chapman and a lot of off-field baggage.

Seems like comparatively, the A's got the better deal since they got two SPs for the second half and could flip Snork's final year for other prospects afterward.

But ... 105.

I think it's possible we've overvalued Gleyber because he's been good for his age but his ceiling still actually seems to be merely "pretty good" and not "great." Freddy Sanchez at SS is the comp that stuck with me. That's a very useful player but it's not one that has a future as a Cub and it's also likely that our fantasy trade packages gave him more value than he actually has. Sahadev was one of a few guys I saw last night saying teams were more impressed with Happ/Eloy then Gleyber.

But again I don't doubt that it's an overpay, it's just one I'm comfortable with them making, or would be if Chapman was just a baseball player and not a wife beater. Hell I don't disagree with Beane making that trade back in 2014 either. Their second half collapse was pretty inexplicable and had little to do with that trade, and he then sold Snork before it was too late and got Semien out of it, and Semien has been nearly as valuable as Addison this year.

Gleyber Torres is really good at baseball. Maybe pitchers will adjust, and he'll slow down, but he's fucking good (.295/.351/.577 with 13 dongs in 172 PA as the youngest player in the AL).

And I have no complaint about the trade. As they say, flags fly forever.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #730 on: July 19, 2018, 10:14:26 AM »
So...Jesse's suggesting the Cubs send Happ, Montgomery and a couple prospects to the Mets for DeGrom.

Anybody got Jepstink's secretary on the phone?
TIME TO POST!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #731 on: July 27, 2018, 05:30:49 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on July 19, 2018, 10:14:26 AM
So...Jesse's suggesting the Cubs send Happ, Montgomery and a couple prospects to the Mets for DeGrom.

Anybody got Jepstink's secretary on the phone?

I do wonder how much they would be willing to give up for DeGrom, let alone what the Mets would take.  Maybe the conversation starts with Happ, Montgomery, Amaya + TBD?

DeGrom would be the gutsiest move they've ever made, more so than the Chapman and Quintana trades.  He's the current ERA leader in the NL and immediately becomes their Game 1 starter for every playoff series.  The pitching scares me for October, which of course means everyone is going to pitch like an ace and make me look stupid.  But if they could at least pry Wheeler loose...