News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Reasonable Trade Discussion  ( 77,065 )

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Reasonable Trade Discussion
« Reply #600 on: August 01, 2016, 12:51:11 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 01, 2016, 12:38:49 PM
Sheehan says the deal may be on hold because of something in Bruce's medicals anyway, so hold your annoyance

Nimmo had a torn meniscus or something like that at the beginning of the year.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #601 on: August 01, 2016, 12:56:16 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on August 01, 2016, 10:16:22 AM
If Bruce goes to the Mets that'd be pretty annoying. I'm hoping they don't get into the playoffs again for obvious reasons.

I'm not sure those reasons are so obvious.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #602 on: August 01, 2016, 02:56:07 PM »
Joe Smith from the Angels! TRADE FUCKING DEADLINE, BITCHEZ!
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #603 on: August 01, 2016, 03:08:28 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on August 01, 2016, 02:56:07 PM

I have no idea what he offers over their current stash of relievers other than that he has a funky delivery. I'm sure there's some kind of matchup he presents that they like.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

D. Doluntap

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #604 on: August 01, 2016, 03:20:04 PM »
He's held RHBs to a Jose Macias-like .580 OPS over his career. But I have no idea if that makes him a ROOGY or not. He's also wrote a book on Mormons.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #605 on: August 01, 2016, 03:24:16 PM »
Quote from: D. Doluntap on August 01, 2016, 03:20:04 PM
He's held RHBs to a Jose Macias-like .580 OPS over his career. But I have no idea if that makes him a ROOGY or not. He's also wrote a book on Mormons.

He's apparently gotten groundballs at a 60.7% clip from RHB this year and he's induced a lot of soft contact, apparently some bad BABIP luck. For a guy probably asked to get one out a game once or twice a week it's probably fine.

Question is whose spot is he taking? Are they gonna cut bait on Nathan already? Does Grimm get stuck in Iowa till September? If they activate Cahill and send Edwards down that's gonna suck.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #606 on: August 03, 2016, 03:35:24 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on August 01, 2016, 02:56:07 PM

Nice choice, Epstink. /s
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #607 on: August 27, 2016, 06:03:51 PM »
The know-it-all loudmouth behind me who's been mansplaining baseball to his girlfriend/wife without taking a break was really impressed with this new kid Jesse Chavez, thinks that inning must be a big lift for a guy who's not used to the pressure of the major leagues, so maybe the Cubs should try to trade for him in the offseason.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #608 on: August 27, 2016, 06:53:53 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on August 27, 2016, 06:03:51 PM
The know-it-all loudmouth behind me who's been mansplaining baseball to his girlfriend/wife without taking a break was really impressed with this new kid Jesse Chavez, thinks that inning must be a big lift for a guy who's not used to the pressure of the major leagues, so maybe the Cubs should try to trade for him in the offseason.
Oh, I don't know.  Why not get that fellow Kershaw?  Or maybe that Strasburg kid?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #609 on: August 27, 2016, 09:05:16 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on August 27, 2016, 06:53:53 PM
Quote from: Saul Goodman on August 27, 2016, 06:03:51 PM
Oh, I don't know.  Why not get that fellow Kershaw?  Or maybe that Strasburg kid?

Those bums are old news.  Jesse Chavez is the new hotness.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #610 on: September 19, 2016, 02:48:44 AM »
Quote4. Jose Fernandez, RHP, Marlins — There's more buzz that the Marlins will listen to offers for Fernandez this offseason. Fernandez has long been the apple of the eye of a lot of big-market teams that wouldn't mind writing that extension check. The Dodgers, Red Sox, Yankees, and Cubs for sure would all be in line. Right now, it doesn't appear there will be any extension talks early this offseason between Miami and Fernandez's agent, Scott Boras, if at all.

Bye, Eloy.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #611 on: September 19, 2016, 09:19:41 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on September 19, 2016, 02:48:44 AM
Quote4. Jose Fernandez, RHP, Marlins — There's more buzz that the Marlins will listen to offers for Fernandez this offseason. Fernandez has long been the apple of the eye of a lot of big-market teams that wouldn't mind writing that extension check. The Dodgers, Red Sox, Yankees, and Cubs for sure would all be in line. Right now, it doesn't appear there will be any extension talks early this offseason between Miami and Fernandez's agent, Scott Boras, if at all.

Bye, Eloy.

Considering Jake's hitting the open market and Lackey and (if he's still here) Hammel both walk after next season, does it really make sense for the Cubs to get a rental at this point? Wouldn't it make more sense to look at guys they can keep under control for a few years?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #612 on: September 19, 2016, 09:59:48 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on September 19, 2016, 09:19:41 AM

Bye, Eloy.

Considering Jake's hitting the open market and Lackey and (if he's still here) Hammel both walk after next season, does it really make sense for the Cubs to get a rental at this point? Wouldn't it make more sense to look at guys they can keep under control for a few years?

A. Not if they think 2016 & 2017 is their best window to win before they have to retool the rotation (Arrieta gone, Lester old, Hendricks to the Braves for the prime of his career).

B. The deal might be contingent on agreeing to an extension with Fernandez, or at the very least maybe they think this gives them a leg up on signing him.

C. It seams that acquiring #1/#2 level cost-controlled starters is becoming more difficult since the Cubs ruined it for everyone with Arrieta & Hendricks.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #613 on: September 19, 2016, 10:16:59 AM »
Quote from: R-V on September 19, 2016, 09:59:48 AM

Bye, Eloy.

A. Not if they think 2016 & 2017 is their best window to win before they have to retool the rotation (Arrieta gone, Lester old, Hendricks to the Braves for the prime of his career).

B. The deal might be contingent on agreeing to an extension with Fernandez, or at the very least maybe they think this gives them a leg up on signing him.

C. It seams that acquiring #1/#2 level cost-controlled starters is becoming more difficult since the Cubs ruined it for everyone with Arrieta & Hendricks.

It also seams that every pitcher who is either a free agent or on the trading block will get linked to the Cubs at one point or another this winter.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #614 on: September 19, 2016, 03:35:48 PM »

Bye, Eloy.

Not sure if serious. Did you miss the part about "wouldn't mind writing that extension check"? I know it's Boras, no extensions, yadda yadda, except Strasburg just signed one instead of hitting the open market as Option A, B, C, and D for starting pitching.