News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Reasonable Trade Discussion  ( 77,102 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Reasonable Trade Discussion
« Reply #705 on: September 13, 2017, 12:45:40 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on September 13, 2017, 12:42:18 PM
Quote from: SKO on September 13, 2017, 12:33:40 PM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on September 13, 2017, 11:31:52 AM
Shohei Otani is coming to MLB next year.

There's no way the Cubs get him, right?

Actually there's a fairly compelling argument they might. Otani is passing up hundreds of millions potentially by wanting to be posted right now vs waiting the 2 years when he'd qualify as an actual free agent and not be subject to the cap. So the argument there is he knows he's giving up millions, he just wants to pitch in MLB, and whatever team he signs with can sign him to a market value extension after a year or so. So knowing any team he signs with is gonna have to work out a mega-extension with him soon, he's likely to choose based more on winning and culture than the ability to pay him 10 mil vs 300 K right now, because he's going to get his big pay day down soon enough anyway. So I'd definitely consider the Dodgers and Cubs in it.

What the Dodgers and Cubs can't offer though, is a chance to DH on non-pitching days.

Honestly I'm not sure how that plays. Most AL teams will have an actual designated DH and would be afraid to take the risk of giving up offense if Otani turns out to be just a good-hitting pitcher and not an actual good hitter. I think an NL team where he'd be allowed to bat for himself while pitching and then be a pinch hitter/outfield sub might be more appealing. I'd have to think Joe's willingness to get weird would be a bonus for the Cubs here.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #706 on: September 13, 2017, 01:10:26 PM »

Actually there's a fairly compelling argument they might. Otani is passing up hundreds of millions potentially by wanting to be posted right now vs waiting the 2 years when he'd qualify as an actual free agent and not be subject to the cap. So the argument there is he knows he's giving up millions, he just wants to pitch in MLB, and whatever team he signs with can sign him to a market value extension after a year or so. So knowing any team he signs with is gonna have to work out a mega-extension with him soon, he's likely to choose based more on winning and culture than the ability to pay him 10 mil vs 300 K right now, because he's going to get his big pay day down soon enough anyway. So I'd definitely consider the Dodgers and Cubs in it.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/how-to-sign-shohei-otani/

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #707 on: September 13, 2017, 01:17:44 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on September 13, 2017, 01:10:26 PM

Yep. I'd put money that Otani will sign with the Cubs, Dodgers, Yankees, or Red Sox. He's gonna go wherever he has the best chance of winning and future earnings. The 300 K vs 10 mil teams can offer him right now isn't gonna make a difference.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #708 on: September 13, 2017, 01:25:59 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 13, 2017, 12:45:40 PM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on September 13, 2017, 12:42:18 PM

What the Dodgers and Cubs can't offer though, is a chance to DH on non-pitching days.

Honestly I'm not sure how that plays. Most AL teams will have an actual designated DH and would be afraid to take the risk of giving up offense if Otani turns out to be just a good-hitting pitcher and not an actual good hitter. I think an NL team where he'd be allowed to bat for himself while pitching and then be a pinch hitter/outfield sub might be more appealing. I'd have to think Joe's willingness to get weird would be a bonus for the Cubs here.
Hal Jeffcoat
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hal_Jeffcoat
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #709 on: September 14, 2017, 07:55:51 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 13, 2017, 01:17:44 PM

Yep. I'd put money that Otani will sign with the Cubs, Dodgers, Yankees, or Red Sox. He's gonna go wherever he has the best chance of winning and future earnings. The 300 K vs 10 mil teams can offer him right now isn't gonna make a difference.

My sense is that he wants to play for a team that will let him play both ways. It's a crazy idea, one that probably wouldn't last, but I bet that'll be important to him. Even if the Cubs were crazy enough to allow for that, I don't know where they'd put him.
M'lady.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #710 on: September 14, 2017, 08:08:36 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on September 14, 2017, 07:55:51 AM

My sense is that he wants to play for a team that will let him play both ways. It's a crazy idea, one that probably wouldn't last, but I bet that'll be important to him. Even if the Cubs were crazy enough to allow for that, I don't know where they'd put him.

He can play right field 4/5 days. They don't have anyone there.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #711 on: September 14, 2017, 09:34:49 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 14, 2017, 08:08:36 AM
Quote from: Canadouche on September 14, 2017, 07:55:51 AM

He can play right field 4/5 days. They don't have anyone there.

/gif "Ed McMahon Hiyo"
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #712 on: September 14, 2017, 10:27:31 AM »
Also shouldn't this be in some kind of offseason or Reasonable Free Agent Discussion thread. Nobody is trading for Shohei Otani. MODS!!!!

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #713 on: September 14, 2017, 02:28:34 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 14, 2017, 10:27:31 AM
Also shouldn't this be in some kind of offseason or Reasonable Free Agent Discussion thread. Nobody is trading for Shohei Otani. MODS!!!!

What

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #714 on: September 14, 2017, 02:34:21 PM »
Quote from: CT III on September 14, 2017, 02:28:34 PM

What

These kinds of things never happened when I was the admin. Mostly because if you opened this thread a bunch of pr0n bots would destroy your computer.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #715 on: September 14, 2017, 03:28:38 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 14, 2017, 02:34:21 PM

What

These kinds of things never happened when I was the admin. Mostly because if you opened this thread a bunch of pr0n bots would destroy your computer.

Go on...
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #716 on: September 14, 2017, 04:05:11 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on September 14, 2017, 03:28:38 PM
Quote from: SKO on September 14, 2017, 02:34:21 PM

What

Go on...
Winner of "Faces I'd Like to Punch" contest.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #717 on: October 07, 2017, 01:49:06 AM »
In the offseason, I think the Cardinals will trade for Giancarlo Stanton and Tommy Pham will be part of the return. 

Which will REALLY piss off Cardinals fans when they still lose to the Cubs.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #718 on: May 09, 2018, 10:45:11 AM »
Question: Is Addison Russell's remaining team control worth half a season of Manny Machado?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #719 on: May 09, 2018, 10:53:42 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on May 09, 2018, 10:45:11 AM
Question: Is Addison Russell's remaining team control worth half a season of Manny Machado?

For the Cubs or Orioles?

Anyway yes. In fact the Cubs would probably have to throw in adbert or something. And I'd be cool with it. Machado would make this lineup even better for a title run and they'd presumably get a chance to talk terms of an extension with him. If they don't win the Harper derby, Machado at SS would be a nice consolation prize.