News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Tonker's Upscale Fast Food Tour and Reviews  ( 45,254 )

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Tonker's Upscale Fast Food Tour and Reviews
« on: July 23, 2012, 06:20:08 AM »
Okay, Gentlemen - I give you the starting point for my week of gluttony and heartburn.  Some of these are just ideas and I would welcome any advice - just as I would welcome company.  At this point I'm happily going to assume that whenever I'm putting a delicious, juicy piece of meat in mouth, Oleg's going to be right there beside me, (||) but if any of the rest of you also fancy accompanying me to any of these (or other) joints, shout up and I'll include you in the plans.

BBBQ: Pork Shoppe; Smoque
Italian Beef: Portillo's
MEAT SANDWICHES: Skrine Chops
Burgers: Kuma's Corner (natch); Butcher and the Burger
Sausages: Hot Doug's; UB Dogs
Breakfast: Deleece; Sam & George's; Kanela Breakfast Club
Po Boys: Big & Little's
Burritos: ???

I've left Burritos blank because Yelp has got its knickers in a twist and appears to be recommending that I go to a Taco Bell on an industrial estate somewhere.  The burrito place that Fork took me to last year (right next to Wrigley) was fine but they didn't have fresh cilantro in their burrito which is, essentially, unforgiveable.  What I'm really looking for is reasonably authentic Mexican.  Is Chipotle any good?

One more thing - please bear in mind when making recommendations that a) I am limited to where public transport and/or my feet can take me and b) I have no wish to see the frigging suburbs.

Have at it.  Or don't.  Whatever.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Tonker's Upscale Fast Food Tour and Reviews
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 07:37:10 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on July 23, 2012, 06:20:08 AM
Okay, Gentlemen - I give you the starting point for my week of gluttony and heartburn.  Some of these are just ideas and I would welcome any advice - just as I would welcome company.  At this point I'm happily going to assume that whenever I'm putting a delicious, juicy piece of meat in mouth, Oleg's going to be right there beside me, (||) but if any of the rest of you also fancy accompanying me to any of these (or other) joints, shout up and I'll include you in the plans.

I've left Burritos blank because Yelp has got its knickers in a twist and appears to be recommending that I go to a Taco Bell on an industrial estate somewhere.  The burrito place that Fork took me to last year (right next to Wrigley) was fine but they didn't have fresh cilantro in their burrito which is, essentially, unforgiveable.  What I'm really looking for is reasonably authentic Mexican.  Is Chipotle any good?

One more thing - please bear in mind when making recommendations that a) I am limited to where public transport and/or my feet can take me and b) I have no wish to see the frigging suburbs.

UB Dogs isn't anything special at all.  It's across the street from my work here DOWNTOWN and been there twice and you might as well get a dog at Portillo's while you're getting a combo beef.

Go to the Vienna Beef place or make the trek out to Gene's and Jude's.

Burrito:::  Arturo's.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 07:47:26 AM »
Intrepid Readers: TEC and PenFoe:

No way in hell you're getting decent Mexican food that far north of the border.  You might as well go to Taco Bell.
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 07:50:38 AM »
Tonks

Chipotle is a national chain (originally started by McDonalds) that makes west coast style burritos (e.g. they use rice inside).  Its ok (a bit better than McDs does burgers) but far from anything to travel 5,000 miles for

One thing to consider is that Chicago is more a taco or torta town than a burrito town.  A couple of my local standbys are:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/dona-torta-chicago#query:tacos%20al%20pastor
Dona Torta is a tacoria (doesn't serve alcohol), but does some pretty good stuff

For a restaurant http://www.yelp.com/biz/mi-tierra-cocina-mexicana-chicago-3 is good, and serves good margaritas as well.

There are dozens of places that im sure are better (including the taco places at Western/Milwaukee and Armitage, which have Margies around as an added bonus), but these are good (and near the public transport)

Let me know your dates, I am out on this Friday and Saturday morning but otherwise want to join.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 09:12:11 AM »
The first of those places has apparently closed due to a "small fire", Hawk.  Perhaps I'll skip it - it's not what Chicago is famous for, after all, and I can make bloody good Mexican food for myself at home.  Margueritas, though... that's a thought.  Haven't had a marguerita since I made myself sick on them at a Straßenfest in Munich back in 2003.  It's probably safe to try again, by now.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 09:13:10 AM »
Oh, and the one thing I forgot to include was perhaps the most pertinent: the Shoutlunch.  Heaven on Seven?  Or do we want to mix it up a bit?  When's a good day?

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 09:15:52 AM »
Quote from: thehawk on July 23, 2012, 07:50:38 AM
One thing to consider is that Chicago is more a taco or torta town than a burrito town.

For tortas: Xoco?
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 09:33:19 AM »
Tonks

Chipotle is a national chain (originally started by McDonalds) that makes west coast style burritos (e.g. they use rice inside).  Its ok (a bit better than McDs does burgers) but far from anything to travel 5,000 miles for

One thing to consider is that Chicago is more a taco or torta town than a burrito town.  A couple of my local standbys are:

Dona Torta is a tacoria (doesn't serve alcohol), but does some pretty good stuff

For a restaurant http://www.yelp.com/biz/mi-tierra-cocina-mexicana-chicago-3 is good, and serves good margaritas as well.

There are dozens of places that im sure are better (including the taco places at Western/Milwaukee and Armitage, which have Margies around as an added bonus), but these are good (and near the public transport)

Let me know your dates, I am out on this Friday and Saturday morning but otherwise want to join.

You mean Arturo's?
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 09:35:29 AM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on July 23, 2012, 09:33:19 AM
Tonks

You mean Arturo's?

Señorita! Cincuenta margaritas, por favor.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 09:39:16 AM »

No pizza? Pequod's? Art of Pizza?

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 09:48:33 AM »
Quote from: R-V on July 23, 2012, 09:39:16 AM

Or, if Tonk feels like a trek to THE SUBURBS, Burt's.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 10:37:37 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on July 23, 2012, 09:48:33 AM

Honestly, I'm not a fan of Chicago-style pizza.  I did Lou Malnati's, years ago, and was thoroughly underwhelmed.  Besides, I'm going to make the traditional Candlelite stop on the way back on the airport.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 10:50:44 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on July 23, 2012, 10:37:37 AM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on July 23, 2012, 09:48:33 AM

Honestly, I'm not a fan of Chicago-style pizza.  I did Lou Malnati's, years ago, and was thoroughly underwhelmed.  Besides, I'm going to make the traditional Candlelite stop on the way back on the airport.

Malnati's is solid, but Pequod's will get you properly whelmed.

Unless you want straight Neopolitan, in which case Spacca Napoli will get it done.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 10:53:16 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on July 23, 2012, 09:13:10 AM
Oh, and the one thing I forgot to include was perhaps the most pertinent: the Shoutlunch.  Heaven on Seven?  Or do we want to mix it up a bit?  When's a good day?

Any day next week works for me.  Will never turn down H07 but Xoco is an interesting choice.  Its Rick Bayless's sammwich shop.  I tend to more 'hole in the wall places' like Dona Torta (can beleive they had a fire, can't beleive I leared about it from Tonks), but those arent available in the loop
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 01:03:50 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on July 23, 2012, 10:37:37 AM

That was your mistake. Malnati's is the most overrated and inconsistent deep dish in the city.

Burt's is not deep dish.  Nor is Pequods.