News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Tonker's Upscale Fast Food Tour and Reviews  ( 45,248 )

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Tonker's Upscale Fast Food Tour and Reviews
« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2016, 02:18:25 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on November 07, 2016, 02:08:31 PM
A couple more entries:

Ricobene's.  HOLY SHIT WHAT A FUCKEN SAMMICH.  That thing was fucking HUGE and I only had the regular.  It was really, really, REALLY good, too.  Like, "I'm totally going to make the trip down to DA SOUT SIDE MY FRENT to get another one next time I'm in town" good.  The fries were also excellent, but they were gilding the lily, really.  Yuge thanks to Fork and Larry for going out of their way to make sure I filled in a gap of which - in hindsight - I should have been thoroughly ashamed.

Gene and Jude's.  Once again, Fork's Culinary Tours came up trumps and this little beauty filled the gap between second lunch and high tea very nicely indeed.  It's a bit weird in that they bill themselves as a hot dog place but there's no poppy seed buns, no green relish, no tomato and if I remember rightly, not even a pickle spear.  Still, what they do is very good and almost embarrassingly cheap.  And not a bottle of ketchup in sight, so it gets the Huey seal of approval, too.

I had a couple of pizzas, too, but there was so much confusion with regard to where they had come from (I think we nearly ate somebody else's pizza at one point on Saturday night), that I can't really review them.

Also, Fork's BBBQ is the balls, and Hawk and NHawk are just ridiculously, fantastically gracious, generous and above all, delicious hosts.

And as for that cake, Chuck?  I'm not exaggerating, that thing had to have been twenty thousand calories.  I could hardly eat it all.

We were absolutely delivered someone else's pizza on Saturday night, but I don't recall anyone eating it.  I think the delivery came back pretty quickly. 

That said, I don't remember what actual pizza came.  I remember the french fries and that we're still waiting for Oleg to order BBQ from Fat Louie's.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2016, 02:47:12 PM »
Hawk and NHawk are just ridiculously, fantastically gracious, generous and above all, delicious hosts.

Eating your hosts seems like a weird way to thank them for letting you stay, but I'm not up to speed on Australian customs.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2016, 04:04:21 PM »
Quote from: R-V on November 07, 2016, 02:47:12 PM
Hawk and NHawk are just ridiculously, fantastically gracious, generous and above all, delicious hosts.

Eating your hosts seems like a weird way to thank them for letting you stay, but I'm not up to speed on Australian customs.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #93 on: November 14, 2016, 08:45:52 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on November 07, 2016, 02:18:25 PM
A couple more entries:

Ricobene's.  HOLY SHIT WHAT A FUCKEN SAMMICH.  That thing was fucking HUGE and I only had the regular.  It was really, really, REALLY good, too.  Like, "I'm totally going to make the trip down to DA SOUT SIDE MY FRENT to get another one next time I'm in town" good.  The fries were also excellent, but they were gilding the lily, really.  Yuge thanks to Fork and Larry for going out of their way to make sure I filled in a gap of which - in hindsight - I should have been thoroughly ashamed.

Gene and Jude's.  Once again, Fork's Culinary Tours came up trumps and this little beauty filled the gap between second lunch and high tea very nicely indeed.  It's a bit weird in that they bill themselves as a hot dog place but there's no poppy seed buns, no green relish, no tomato and if I remember rightly, not even a pickle spear.  Still, what they do is very good and almost embarrassingly cheap.  And not a bottle of ketchup in sight, so it gets the Huey seal of approval, too.

I had a couple of pizzas, too, but there was so much confusion with regard to where they had come from (I think we nearly ate somebody else's pizza at one point on Saturday night), that I can't really review them.

Also, Fork's BBBQ is the balls, and Hawk and NHawk are just ridiculously, fantastically gracious, generous and above all, delicious hosts.

And as for that cake, Chuck?  I'm not exaggerating, that thing had to have been twenty thousand calories.  I could hardly eat it all.

We were absolutely delivered someone else's pizza on Saturday night, but I don't recall anyone eating it.  I think the delivery came back pretty quickly. 

That said, I don't remember what actual pizza came.  I remember the french fries and that we're still waiting for Oleg to order BBQ from Fat Louie's.

This was, at least partly, your fault.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #94 on: November 14, 2016, 10:23:47 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on November 14, 2016, 08:45:52 AM
A couple more entries:

He wanted tofu ribs?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2016, 04:11:30 PM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on November 14, 2016, 10:23:47 AM
A couple more entries:

He wanted tofu ribs?

I believe Oleg is implying that I forced him to eat all those edibles.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #96 on: November 15, 2016, 08:52:40 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on November 14, 2016, 04:11:30 PM
A couple more entries:

He wanted tofu ribs?

You put a gun to my head.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #97 on: November 15, 2016, 08:56:46 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on November 15, 2016, 08:52:40 AM
A couple more entries:

He wanted tofu ribs?

To be fair to Pen, he was holding it at his hip.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #98 on: November 15, 2016, 12:36:50 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on November 15, 2016, 08:56:46 AM
A couple more entries:

He wanted tofu ribs?

Why is that fair to Pen?

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #99 on: November 16, 2016, 03:09:41 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on November 15, 2016, 12:36:50 PM
Quote from: Tonker on November 15, 2016, 08:56:46 AM
A couple more entries:

He wanted tofu ribs?

Why is that fair to Pen?

It's not his fault you're short.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2016, 05:21:53 AM »
Oh, I forgot to mention: in Toronto, I went for traditionally Canadian and had Five Guys - indeed, I was eating my Five Guys meal in my hotel room whilst watching game 7.  It was fucking excellent.  Properly delicious.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #101 on: November 30, 2016, 06:01:51 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on November 30, 2016, 05:21:53 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention: in Toronto, I went for traditionally Canadian and had Five Guys - indeed, I was eating my Five Guys meal in my hotel room whilst watching game 7.  It was fucking excellent.  Properly delicious.

Does "traditionally Canadian" mean "not Canadian?" Or did Tim's rebrand while I was in that month long coma.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #102 on: November 30, 2016, 06:13:06 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on November 30, 2016, 06:01:51 AM

Does "traditionally Canadian" mean "not Canadian?" Or did Tim's rebrand while I was in that month long coma.

Yes.  I was poking fun at myself.  I didn't even go to Tim's while I was there.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2016, 11:53:46 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on November 30, 2016, 06:13:06 AM

The only thing more Canadian would have been poutine soaked in a Molson.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #104 on: November 30, 2016, 12:29:30 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on November 30, 2016, 11:53:46 AM
Quote from: Tonker on November 30, 2016, 06:13:06 AM

The only thing more Canadian would have been poutine soaked in a Molson.

Carried to your table by an apologizing Mountie riding a moose.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?