News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Tonker's Upscale Fast Food Tour and Reviews  ( 45,254 )

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Tonker's Upscale Fast Food Tour and Reviews
« Reply #150 on: August 31, 2018, 05:32:08 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on August 31, 2018, 03:58:14 PM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on August 31, 2018, 01:18:57 PM
Quote from: Wheezer on August 31, 2018, 09:53:44 AM
Quote from: Bort on August 31, 2018, 07:51:01 AM
Quote from: Tonker on August 31, 2018, 06:05:17 AM
Quote from: CBStew on August 30, 2018, 04:36:03 PM
Quote from: Tonker on August 29, 2018, 06:31:40 AM
So, I tried a few things in Canada, eh?

Montréal smoked meat.  Hmm.  This isn't pastrami, although quite how it's different, I'm not sure I could tell you.  It was fine.  Good, even.  I'd still rather have pastrami.
So, in summary, don't visit Canada for the food.  DO visit Canada if you like trees, though, or lakes, or moose, because they have those in fucking spades.

Pastrami, although smoked, is brined longer and pickled.  Don't be mislead by the pepper that borders both.  (Shame on those delis that cut pastrami a quarter inch thick.  Might as well serve me Montreal smoked meat.  Pastrami should be cut almost paper thin and piled 3 inches high on fresh caraway rye bread, sitting next to a genuine dill pickle.)

There are few things better in this World than a good Reuben.  Sadly, there are also few good Reubens.

It's my very favorite sandwich when done right. But yeah.

I can't take pastrami with excessive allspice, which, unfortunately for me, is now what comes with the "Egg McMorry" from the final outpost of the local deli.

I was very disappointed in Manny's Reuben. They have pre-toasted bread with cheese and kraut, and just stick corned beef/pasrami in there.

But my favorite deli sandwich is pastrami, turkey and tongue on marble with Russian dressing.

I am strongly of the opinion that Russian dressing only goes with Corned Beef or Pastrami when accompanied by kraut and swiss. 
If you don't have those elements, then it's mustard only for pastrami and corned beef.

You can continue to put Russian on your turkey though.

Ah, the weird vertex where PenFoe and I agree more often than not: food.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #151 on: August 31, 2018, 09:42:56 PM »
Quote from: Bort on August 31, 2018, 05:32:08 PM

Montréal smoked meat.  Hmm.  This isn't pastrami, although quite how it's different, I'm not sure I could tell you.  It was fine.  Good, even.  I'd still rather have pastrami.
So, in summary, don't visit Canada for the food.  DO visit Canada if you like trees, though, or lakes, or moose, because they have those in fucking spades.

Pastrami, although smoked, is brined longer and pickled.  Don't be mislead by the pepper that borders both.  (Shame on those delis that cut pastrami a quarter inch thick.  Might as well serve me Montreal smoked meat.  Pastrami should be cut almost paper thin and piled 3 inches high on fresh caraway rye bread, sitting next to a genuine dill pickle.)

There are few things better in this World than a good Reuben.  Sadly, there are also few good Reubens.

I can't take pastrami with excessive allspice, which, unfortunately for me, is now what comes with the "Egg McMorry" from the final outpost of the local deli.

I was very disappointed in Manny's Reuben. They have pre-toasted bread with cheese and kraut, and just stick corned beef/pasrami in there.

But my favorite deli sandwich is pastrami, turkey and tongue on marble with Russian dressing.

I am strongly of the opinion that Russian dressing only goes with Corned Beef or Pastrami when accompanied by kraut and swiss. 
If you don't have those elements, then it's mustard only for pastrami and corned beef.

Whoa!  Russian dressing on turkey.  I admit that has never occurred to me.  This is why I come here.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #152 on: September 01, 2018, 09:09:47 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on August 31, 2018, 09:42:56 PM

Whoa!  Russian dressing on turkey.  I admit that has never occurred to me.  This is why I come here.

Not a fan of kraut and Russian dressing is just okay.
But thinly sliced pastrami, corned beef, tongue, or turkey in any combination with a horseradish mustard and swiss on rye with caraway is truly heaven.
(I think Kosher laws should make an exception for the swiss in these cases because come on)
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #153 on: September 02, 2018, 04:09:40 AM »
Quote from: flannj on September 01, 2018, 09:09:47 AM
Quote from: CBStew on August 31, 2018, 09:42:56 PM

Not a fan of kraut and Russian dressing is just okay.
But thinly sliced pastrami, corned beef, tongue, or turkey in any combination with a horseradish mustard and swiss on rye with caraway is truly heaven.
(I think Kosher laws should make an exception for the swiss in these cases because come on)

You expect rationality in kashrut? Jesus, my shrink lectures at the same shul that my former host is nominally a member of, and I had to cite the Decalogue to shut him up about my slaving away in the cat prison. Tza'ar ba'alei chayim is a nonstarter.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #154 on: September 03, 2018, 04:09:51 AM »

This is, objectively, the correct take.  Good Pen.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.