News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Alinea  ( 15,523 )

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Alinea
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 12:19:01 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on August 06, 2012, 10:27:15 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on August 06, 2012, 08:37:29 PM
The oyster leaf, a leaf that tastes naturally like oysters, was served just as a real oyster might be, in an oyster shell with mignonette sauce.

You wrote this copy from scratch?

What of it?

Quote from: Wheezer on August 06, 2012, 10:47:05 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on August 06, 2012, 08:37:53 PM
QuoteBlueberry buttermilk, sorrel, macadamia
Paolo Saracco Moscato d'Asti 2011

Served in an elaborate glass vessel, almost a vase-like bowl. It was like a broad platter on top with a small hole in the middle leading to a round bowl underneath, which I guess contained the sorrel, an aromatic herb. It arrived at the table with a small glass ball covering the hole and rattling loudly as vapors escaped from the lower bowl. We pulled these stoppers off and the servers proceeded to pour liquid nitrogen into the holes, causing the entire table to be blanketed in clouds of vapor. We were left with a tea-like liquid in the bowl (drank that with metal straws) with the other stuff on top.

OK, now wait a second. Sorrel of course is the basis of germiny. It makes perfect sense to cut the sweetness of the blueberry (and the buttermilk, I suppose, but one does not know whether it was cultured or true buttermilk), but why was its vessel percolating?

I assume it was liquid nitrogen boiling.

Here's a photo of the before, taken by Oleg's buddy Aaron:

Aaron also has a video up where you can hear the server's spiel. My description above had it backwards: what was being poured was a hot citrus tea. The ultimate effect was the same, though, as the hot tea met what I guess was the frozen sorrel in the bowl.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 01:09:49 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on August 07, 2012, 12:19:01 AM
The oyster leaf, a leaf that tastes naturally like oysters, was served just as a real oyster might be, in an oyster shell with mignonette sauce.

What of it?

When was the last time you naturally thought, "mignonette sauce, a sauce naturally served with oysters"?

Served in an elaborate glass vessel, almost a vase-like bowl. It was like a broad platter on top with a small hole in the middle leading to a round bowl underneath, which I guess contained the sorrel, an aromatic herb. It arrived at the table with a small glass ball covering the hole and rattling loudly as vapors escaped from the lower bowl. We pulled these stoppers off and the servers proceeded to pour liquid nitrogen into the holes, causing the entire table to be blanketed in clouds of vapor. We were left with a tea-like liquid in the bowl (drank that with metal straws) with the other stuff on top.

OK, now wait a second. Sorrel of course is the basis of germiny. It makes perfect sense to cut the sweetness of the blueberry (and the buttermilk, I suppose, but one does not know whether it was cultured or true buttermilk), but why was its vessel percolating?

Aaron also has a video up where you can hear the server's spiel. My description above had it backwards: what was being poured was a hot citrus tea. The ultimate effect was the same, though, as the hot tea met what I guess was the frozen sorrel in the bowl.

OK, this is a bit clearer to my imagination:

Except for the part where it seems like different crockery.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 06:09:52 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on August 07, 2012, 01:09:49 AM

What of it?

When was the last time you naturally thought, "mignonette sauce, a sauce naturally served with oysters"?

Fuck.  You don't HAVE to out weird everything.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2012, 08:08:21 AM »
Thanks.  I am now jealous and hungry, but that seriously looked incredible.  The only change i could suggest is that the ???????!!!!!!! plate could use something big
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2012, 08:19:25 AM »
This probably belongs in the "I admit  it" thread, but I like TDubbs.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 08:25:02 AM »
That looked fucking awesome.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 08:25:16 AM »
Reading through Thrill's descriptions/summary truly brought the meal back for me.  Thank you sir.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2012, 08:55:31 AM »
Quote from: thehawk on August 06, 2012, 05:16:04 PM
Quote from: morpheus on August 06, 2012, 03:14:09 PM
Quote from: thehawk on August 06, 2012, 02:47:27 PM
So, what did you have?

We had exactly what they serve.  There isn't any choosing, except for the wine pairings.

The menu does change from time to time, and trying to understand the courses at Alinea from its descriptions would be like truly understanding Moby Dick soley from being told "its a book about a whale".

Sounds like they take a page from Thomas Keller's playbook - pricey fixed menu, occasionally changes, worth selling your children into bondage for the chance to partake. There's a place in Toronto that does the same - Ruby Watch Co, except they change their menu nightly.
M'lady.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2012, 09:36:32 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on August 07, 2012, 08:55:31 AM
So, what did you have?

We had exactly what they serve.  There isn't any choosing, except for the wine pairings.

The menu does change from time to time, and trying to understand the courses at Alinea from its descriptions would be like truly understanding Moby Dick soley from being told "its a book about a whale".

Sounds like they take a page from Thomas Keller's playbook - pricey fixed menu, occasionally changes, worth selling your children into bondage for the chance to partake. There's a place in Toronto that does the same - Ruby Watch Co, except they change their menu nightly.
In Yountville, (Napa) we call it The French Laundry.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2012, 09:46:35 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on August 07, 2012, 09:36:32 AM
So, what did you have?

The guy who runs Alinea trained at French Laundry.

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2012, 09:47:07 AM »
Tank's descriptions are spot-on - thanks for putting them up, Tank.  As Oleg notes, reading your posts brings back some wonderful memories.

When I get a chance I will post the reserve wine pairings and how they differed (as Tank correctly surmised, they are listed on my take-home menu), but quite frankly I didn't think they were really worth the extra $100.  However, the fact that everyone at the table got a little extra brought the value much closer to the price.  So for you Desipiots who are planning on going to Alinea, don't bother with the reserve, unless you're a serious wine connoisseur.

I thought there were never more than two people to a dish, though.  On the lamb I recall there being three garnish dishes, and on the finale I recall three white chocolate balls.  Whatever, it was the best meal I have ever had, without question.  Totally worth the ridiculous amount of money it cost to go there.

FYI, at the website, http://www.alinearestaurant.com, there are currently no tickets available.  We may have hit the last opening for a while.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2012, 09:55:39 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 07, 2012, 09:46:35 AM
Quote from: CBStew on August 07, 2012, 09:36:32 AM
So, what did you have?

The guy who runs Alinea trained at French Laundry.

Worshipped would probably also be an accurate term. He also put some time at El Bulli with the Adrias, which probably had nearly as much influence on him.

Have any Desipiots managed to get into Next for one of their concepts?

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2012, 10:03:42 AM »
Those who attended, have you tried Trotter's?  I was there 15 years ago.  While I enjoyed it, the subtleties and textures of the food are lost on my un-nuanced palate.  It was an amazing experience, but I only wish I could understand the complexity of what I ate.

Curious as to how Alinea compares.

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2012, 10:05:06 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 07, 2012, 10:03:42 AM
Those who attended, have you tried Trotter's? 

No.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2012, 10:10:25 AM »

What of it?

"Mignonette sauce is a condiment usually made with minced shallots, cracked pepper, and vinegar. It is traditionally served with raw oysters."

That's the same crockery, though if I had to guess I'd say that photo was taken after the hot tea had already been poured in and the mists had cleared.

Well, yeah. The French Laundry is only the most renowned restaurant in the country. And Achatz worked there before coming to Chicago.

But pricey tasting menus aren't exactly exclusive to the French Laundry and Alinea. Even in Chicago alone, they're all the rage these days.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.