News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Alinea  ( 15,518 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Alinea
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2012, 10:15:05 AM »

Today their turds are better than ours.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2012, 10:40:40 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 07, 2012, 10:03:42 AM
Those who attended, have you tried Trotter's?  I was there 15 years ago.  While I enjoyed it, the subtleties and textures of the food are lost on my un-nuanced palate.  It was an amazing experience, but I only wish I could understand the complexity of what I ate.

Curious as to how Alinea compares.

I was there about the same time you were Chuck.  Charlie T has always been about using classical techniques (mostly French and Asian, primarialy Japanese) to prepare dishes that, while extremely complex to prepare, seemed simple and classical.  Keller took those same techniques and put a bit of his spin on them, with a light bit of molecular gastronomy added and humerous names (for example, the pearls "oyster and pearls" served a tapioca pearls made out of a custard with the oysters and caviar-- fantastic withh a little 'how did they do that').  Its sort of the highest most refined 'classical' cusine there is.

Grant makes incredible food, and as you can see from the videos, adds to that a quality that, when presented to you causes you to literlally giggle. It all seems so over the top, it makes your brain explode when the servers describe it.  But then you try the stuff and it just all tastes so good.  It really shouldn't (and there are other chefs in town, Homar Cantu (Moto) and Graham Elliot Bowles come to mind, who play in the same techniques, but dont make quite as good food), but thats his genius.

My wife and I have been lucky enough to eat at each of Charlie Trotters, Alinea and the French Laundry.  In  Noelle's opinion, the French Laundry is the best restaurant (because of location, service, food etc.).   Alinea is the wildest and most fun.  They were all certainly memorable.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2012, 10:41:41 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on August 07, 2012, 10:10:25 AM
Quote from: Wheezer on August 07, 2012, 01:09:49 AM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on August 07, 2012, 12:19:01 AM
Quote from: Wheezer on August 06, 2012, 10:27:15 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on August 06, 2012, 08:37:29 PM
The oyster leaf, a leaf that tastes naturally like oysters, was served just as a real oyster might be, in an oyster shell with mignonette sauce.

You wrote this copy from scratch?

What of it?

When was the last time you naturally thought, "mignonette sauce, a sauce naturally served with oysters"?

"Mignonette sauce is a condiment usually made with minced shallots, cracked pepper, and vinegar. It is traditionally served with raw oysters."

I already knew what a mignonnette sauce is. There was something Jeremiah Denton-ish about the communiqué.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2012, 11:12:20 AM »
Mrs. Cubbieblue and I have been to the French Laundry only once.  It was in the early days.  It was on the 4th of July and we had been at the nearby Mondavi Vineyards for a picnic and expecting later on to watch fireworks and the Preservation Hall Jazz Band.  One of our group announced that he had reservations for 10 people that evening and there was still room in the group for us.   So we went, planning on getting back to Mondavi by 9:30 for the fireworks.  Needless to say, we didn't get back to Mondavi.  We sat in the garden at The French Laundry eating many courses and drinking wine for over four hours.  Lovely.   A memorable experience.  Keller has opened another place in Napa.  We have to get there.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2012, 11:17:22 AM »
Quote from: thehawk on August 07, 2012, 10:40:40 AM
My wife and I have been lucky enough to eat at each of Charlie Trotters, Alinea and the French Laundry.  In  Noelle's opinion, the French Laundry is the best restaurant (because of location, service, food etc.).   Alinea is the wildest and most fun.  They were all certainly memorable.

And then there's Schwa...
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2012, 11:25:31 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on August 07, 2012, 10:41:41 AM
The oyster leaf, a leaf that tastes naturally like oysters, was served just as a real oyster might be, in an oyster shell with mignonette sauce.

What of it?

When was the last time you naturally thought, "mignonette sauce, a sauce naturally served with oysters"?

"Mignonette sauce is a condiment usually made with minced shallots, cracked pepper, and vinegar. It is traditionally served with raw oysters."

I already knew what a mignonnette sauce is. There was something Jeremiah Denton-ish about the communiqué.

I admit it... I've seriously lost the thread on this one.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2012, 12:30:52 PM »

What of it?

OK, this is a bit clearer to my imagination:

Except for the part where it seems like different crockery.

That's the same crockery, though if I had to guess I'd say that photo was taken after the hot tea had already been poured in and the mists had cleared.

Quote from: Canadouche on August 07, 2012, 08:55:31 AM
Sounds like they take a page from Thomas Keller's playbook - pricey fixed menu, occasionally changes, worth selling your children into bondage for the chance to partake. There's a place in Toronto that does the same - Ruby Watch Co, except they change their menu nightly.

Well, yeah. The French Laundry is only the most renowned restaurant in the country. And Achatz worked there before coming to Chicago.

But pricey tasting menus aren't exactly exclusive to the French Laundry and Alinea. Even in Chicago alone, they're all the rage these days.

For sure - but the (possibly mistaken) impression I'm getting is that a lot of these places are following in the footsteps of Keller. Nothing wrong in that.
M'lady.

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2012, 01:47:30 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on August 07, 2012, 11:17:22 AM

A completely different experience... more of a college house party where the cooks are 3 star michelin chefs.  I'm pretty sure that Carlson is doing a goodbye dinner for Charlie Trotter this month.  Would be a good dinner to attend.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2012, 02:01:44 PM »
Quote from: thehawk on August 07, 2012, 01:47:30 PM
My wife and I have been lucky enough to eat at each of Charlie Trotters, Alinea and the French Laundry.  In  Noelle's opinion, the French Laundry is the best restaurant (because of location, service, food etc.).   Alinea is the wildest and most fun.  They were all certainly memorable.

A completely different experience... more of a college house party where the cooks are 3 star michelin chefs.  I'm pretty sure that Carlson is doing a goodbye dinner for Charlie Trotter this month.  Would be a good dinner to attend.

And, after that: the coke and MDMA bender.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2012, 02:08:12 PM »

A completely different experience... more of a college house party where the cooks are 3 star michelin chefs.  I'm pretty sure that Carlson is doing a goodbye dinner for Charlie Trotter this month.  Would be a good dinner to attend.

Is he dying?

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2012, 02:15:51 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on August 07, 2012, 02:08:12 PM

Is he dying?

He closed/isclosing Charlie Trotter's.

Schwa is BYOB, which is nice.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2012, 02:22:33 PM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on August 07, 2012, 02:15:51 PM

Is he dying?

Bud Light bottles go with every course.

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2012, 02:24:32 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on August 07, 2012, 02:01:44 PM
My wife and I have been lucky enough to eat at each of Charlie Trotters, Alinea and the French Laundry.  In  Noelle's opinion, the French Laundry is the best restaurant (because of location, service, food etc.).   Alinea is the wildest and most fun.  They were all certainly memorable.

A completely different experience... more of a college house party where the cooks are 3 star michelin chefs.  I'm pretty sure that Carlson is doing a goodbye dinner for Charlie Trotter this month.  Would be a good dinner to attend.

And, after that: the coke and MDMA bender.

Nah, I think he hit his personal level of dont give a fucketedness:

From that GQ article

Quotethe call came. Trotter, again.

He said he wanted to rent Schwa for the evening. He had celebrated chefs coming to Chicago. Sounded familiar. Sounded catastrophic.

"A year ago, Michael refused to take a dime. I was mortified," Trotter says. "I understand that he was so excited and proud to host those chefs. I'd do the same. That's what we live for. But this year, I said I wasn't coming unless I could pay. I put a check in his hand and told him if he didn't cash it in a week, he would never see me again."

And so the night arrived. The city of Chicago was suddenly not so windy. Every resident with an interest in eating had heard about the dinner. Every breath was held.

The day after the meal, I phoned and left a message for Carlson, demanding that he call back, which he did. I asked him if he had survived.

He said, "Cake, man."

Schwa is BYOB and BTCJ (Bring the cooks Jamesons).  They do serve a mean Dr. Pepper though

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2012, 02:47:29 PM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on August 07, 2012, 02:15:51 PM

Is he dying?

Seems like he's been closing Charlie Trotters every year for the last 4 years.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2012, 03:13:28 PM »
First, talk to Al.  Now, go to Alinea.

Crain's sucks.