News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Batman books  ( 30,097 )

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Batman books
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 07:49:35 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on August 14, 2012, 07:37:30 PM
Quote from: Slaky on August 10, 2012, 10:30:09 PM
I just finished The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller.

Good fucking god was that a grim story. Reminded me of Watchmen a little bit with the semi-apocalyptic event. I mean that in a good way and I'm guessing that's probably some kind of sin in comicland of which I know little about.

I picked up a ton of other ones I only vaguely know about but am really looking forward to getting through.

The Killing Joke is next.

Geek Trivia: Miller changed course halfway through DKR after having read Watchmen.

*snort*

Did he find an unfinished copy laying around the DC offices?  The final issue of DKR was published in mid-1986, Watchmen's initial publication run went from fall of 86 to fall of 87.

*adjusts glasses*

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 09:40:25 PM »
Quote from: CT III on August 14, 2012, 07:49:35 PM

Good fucking god was that a grim story. Reminded me of Watchmen a little bit with the semi-apocalyptic event. I mean that in a good way and I'm guessing that's probably some kind of sin in comicland of which I know little about.

I picked up a ton of other ones I only vaguely know about but am really looking forward to getting through.

Geek Trivia: Miller changed course halfway through DKR after having read Watchmen.

*snort*

Did he find an unfinished copy laying around the DC offices?  The final issue of DKR was published in mid-1986, Watchmen's initial publication run went from fall of 86 to fall of 87.

*adjusts glasses*

Looks like someone tried to make chumpmeat out of the maestro and failed.

So it's between Year One, Knightfall Vol. 1. and Arkham Asylum - which one should I read next?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 10:13:24 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on August 14, 2012, 09:40:25 PM

*snort*

*adjusts glasses*

Looks like someone tried to make chumpmeat out of the maestro and failed.

So it's between Year One, Knightfall Vol. 1. and Arkham Asylum - which one should I read next?

I'd say Year One. Might as well do the origin story. Also, you may want to add The Man Who Falls to your reading list. I never actually cared that much for it, but then Nolan turned it into the basis for Batman Begins, so it's worth a look. Also, someone needs to watch Under the Red Hood and validate my opinion on it.

Also, people should just post in this thread every day. There just isn't enough Batman discussion right now to satisfy my appetite for it.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 10:16:55 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 14, 2012, 10:13:24 PM
Also, someone needs to watch Under the Red Hood and validate my opinion on it.

High quality film.  Nods nicely to the original Red Hood story.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 08:27:24 AM »

*snort*

*adjusts glasses*
I'd like to approve this.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2012, 01:11:16 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 15, 2012, 08:27:24 AM

*snort*

*adjusts glasses*
I'd like to approve this.

It wouldn't be a nerd thread without a snarky correction. I also approve.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2012, 03:00:29 PM »
Since the is the default comic book thread, is there anyone out there who thinks there's a chance the Justice League film WON'T suck?

For one, Ben Affleck is supposedly directing it.

Also, they want to get the movie out so fast that they're apparently going to do The Avengers thing in reverse, with the big ensemble film preceeding the solo spinoffs. What the hell? Do they really think the average moviegoer has any idea who the fuck The Flash or Aquaman are anymore or why they should care? Also, they're apparently keeping Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern (didn't see the film, but it's currently at 27% on Rotten Tomatoes).

Another problem? Nolan's Batman universe is intended to be isolated, so they're going to have to reboot Batman to do it. I can only assume the Nolan-produced Man of Steel will be similarily incompatible with other superhero films, so they may need to have two completely new heavyweights to headline a cast of characters nobody else gives a shit about.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2012, 04:11:36 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 15, 2012, 03:00:29 PM
Since the is the default comic book thread...

Well, there's also this thread. Which I guess you could be forgiven for forgetting about, as it's been nearly three weeks since you started it.

[ snorts ]

Quote from: SKO on August 15, 2012, 03:00:29 PMFor one, Ben Affleck is supposedly directing it.

To be fair to Affleck, both feature films he's directed in his career have been very well received.

Quote from: SKO on August 15, 2012, 03:00:29 PMAlso, they want to get the movie out so fast that they're apparently going to do The Avengers thing in reverse, with the big ensemble film preceeding the solo spinoffs. What the hell? Do they really think the average moviegoer has any idea who the fuck The Flash or Aquaman are anymore or why they should care?

Are you saying they need to introduce an unsuspecting public to The Flash and Aquaman via their own films first? That'd make for box office gold.

Quote from: SKO on August 15, 2012, 03:00:29 PMAnother problem? Nolan's Batman universe is intended to be isolated, so they're going to have to reboot Batman to do it.

Well, as The Dark Knight Rises has officially closed out Nolan's trilogy, and as Batman will still be seen as a license to print money for the foreseeable future, the question of a future Batman reboot is not "if" but "when". With "when" leaning towards sooner rather than later (Google autosuggesting 2015 or even 2014).

This is the acknowledged future of the franchise, to the point where I recall seeing the future reboot discussed in various articles in the run-up to the release of TDKR. Looking ever forward, I guess.

I gather that Nolan is expected to be involved in a producing role for these, too, a la Man of Steel.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2012, 04:17:26 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on August 15, 2012, 04:11:36 PM
Quote from: SKO on August 15, 2012, 03:00:29 PM
Since the is the default comic book thread...

Well, there's also this thread. Which I guess you could be forgiven for forgetting about, as it's been nearly three weeks since you started it.

[ snorts ]

Quote from: SKO on August 15, 2012, 03:00:29 PMFor one, Ben Affleck is supposedly directing it.

To be fair to Affleck, both feature films he's directed in his career have been very well received.

Quote from: SKO on August 15, 2012, 03:00:29 PMAlso, they want to get the movie out so fast that they're apparently going to do The Avengers thing in reverse, with the big ensemble film preceeding the solo spinoffs. What the hell? Do they really think the average moviegoer has any idea who the fuck The Flash or Aquaman are anymore or why they should care?

Are you saying they need to introduce an unsuspecting public to The Flash and Aquaman via their own films first? That'd make for box office gold.

Quote from: SKO on August 15, 2012, 03:00:29 PMAnother problem? Nolan's Batman universe is intended to be isolated, so they're going to have to reboot Batman to do it.

Well, as The Dark Knight Rises has officially closed out Nolan's trilogy, and as Batman will still be seen as a license to print money for the foreseeable future, the question of a future Batman reboot is not "if" but "when". With "when" leaning towards sooner rather than later (Google autosuggesting 2015 or even 2014).

This is the acknowledged future of the franchise, to the point where I recall seeing the future reboot discussed in various articles in the run-up to the release of TDKR. Looking ever forward, I guess.

I gather that Nolan is expected to be involved in a producing role for these, too, a la Man of Steel.
I'm aware that I started a comic book movie thread. I've changed my mind and just decided to keep all discussion here, since this thread is alive. I'm also aware that the Batman reboot is coming, and that another one will follow that reboot because it's Batman. It's just going to be too soon for the public not to say "fuck NOTCHRISTIANBALE Batman" I just don't see how the Justice League can succeed with characters nobody knows or cares about. That's always been DC's problem beyond their two superstars, and even those two often seem like an ill-fit whenever they're awkwardly wedded together (outside of The Dark Knight Returns).

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2012, 09:03:45 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 15, 2012, 04:17:26 PM
I'm aware that I started a comic book movie thread. I've changed my mind and just decided to keep all discussion here, since this thread is alive. I'm also aware that the Batman reboot is coming, and that another one will follow that reboot because it's Batman. It's just going to be too soon for the public not to say "fuck NOTCHRISTIANBALE Batman" I just don't see how the Justice League can succeed with characters nobody knows or cares about. That's always been DC's problem beyond their two superstars, and even those two often seem like an ill-fit whenever they're awkwardly wedded together (outside of The Dark Knight Returns).

As long as I finally get to see David Ogden Stiers as Martian Manhunter, I'm happy.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2012, 09:07:04 PM »
To be honest, I think Frank Miller writes a shitty Superman, and that scene in Dark Knight Returns, while not even technically canon, has fucked up comics nerds expectations for Superman/Batman for 25 years now.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2012, 10:27:07 PM »
Quote from: CT III on August 15, 2012, 09:03:45 PM
Quote from: SKO on August 15, 2012, 04:17:26 PM

As long as I finally get to see David Ogden Stiers as Martian Manhunter, I'm happy.

Winchester <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Frank Burns

*waves everlasting fist at CT*

** I can only follow about 7% of this thread, but it fucking rules.  As you were.  /Hijack.**
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2012, 11:27:02 PM »
Quote from: Bort on August 15, 2012, 09:07:04 PM
To be honest, I think Frank Miller writes a shitty Superman, and that scene in Dark Knight Returns, while not even technically canon, has fucked up comics nerds expectations for Superman/Batman for 25 years now.

I'm going to respectfully disagree. I enjoyed the way Miller twisted around the whole "truth, justice, and the American way" statement by making Superman a government stooge. That said, the fight was sketchy and I agree that it provided an unsatisfying answer to the ultimate (and utterly stupid) question of who would win in a fight. Anywho, FUCK YOU IT WAS AWESOME AND WHEN PART TWO OF THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS COMES OUT NEXT YEAR I'M GOING TO WATCH IT AND SLAKY AND I WILL TWEET "MAN, BORT FUCKIN' SUCKS" AT EACH OTHER AND HI FIVE BECAUSE BATMAN.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2012, 07:35:01 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 15, 2012, 11:27:02 PM
Quote from: Bort on August 15, 2012, 09:07:04 PM

I'm going to respectfully disagree. I enjoyed the way Miller twisted around the whole "truth, justice, and the American way" statement by making Superman a government stooge. That said, the fight was sketchy and I agree that it provided an unsatisfying answer to the ultimate (and utterly stupid) question of who would win in a fight. Anywho, FUCK YOU IT WAS AWESOME AND WHEN PART TWO OF THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS COMES OUT NEXT YEAR I'M GOING TO WATCH IT AND SLAKY AND I WILL TWEET "MAN, BORT FUCKIN' SUCKS" AT EACH OTHER AND HI FIVE BECAUSE BATMAN.

Anyone who still buys into the 50s TV show intro as the correct Superman characterization is doing a disservice to nearly 80 years of storytelling. I'll admit, Supes is a hard character to write well, and more often than not he isn't written well, but Miller's naked contempt for the character makes his Superman a straw man.

Of course, I've never thought DKR was the pinnacle of Batman storytelling. It's an interesting take, but I don't think it holds up as well as Year One.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2012, 07:50:46 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 15, 2012, 11:27:02 PM
That said, the fight was sketchy and I agree that it provided an unsatisfying answer to the ultimate (and utterly stupid) question of who would win in a fight.

Why is this even discussed? Everyone knows Supe gave the B-Man some Kryptonite to use in case he ever went rogue. There's no way BM doesn't whip that out.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16