News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Batman books  ( 30,001 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Batman books
« on: August 10, 2012, 10:30:09 PM »
I just finished The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller.

Good fucking god was that a grim story. Reminded me of Watchmen a little bit with the semi-apocalyptic event. I mean that in a good way and I'm guessing that's probably some kind of sin in comicland of which I know little about.

I picked up a ton of other ones I only vaguely know about but am really looking forward to getting through.

The Killing Joke is next.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Batman books
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 07:58:34 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on August 10, 2012, 10:30:09 PM

Good fucking god was that a grim story. Reminded me of Watchmen a little bit with the semi-apocalyptic event. I mean that in a good way and I'm guessing that's probably some kind of sin in comicland of which I know little about.

I picked up a ton of other ones I only vaguely know about but am really looking forward to getting through.

A little advice - do NOT read The Dark Knight Strikes Again.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 02:07:04 PM »
Quote from: CT III on August 11, 2012, 07:58:34 AM

Also overrated to awful: Hush and The Cult.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 04:13:27 PM »

Terrible?

I was leafing through and it seemed like the art was half-assed.

The Killing Joke took me no time to get through - very cool story and excellent artwork.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 02:45:58 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on August 11, 2012, 04:13:27 PM

Terrible?

The Killing Joke took me no time to get through - very cool story and excellent artwork.

The Dark Knight Returns is outstanding, but CT is absolutely right. Don't read All Star Batman and Robin either. That thin little line between psychopath and Batman that Frank Miller walked so nicely in TDKReturns is destroyed in those two. He feeds Robin fucking rats.

Killing Joke is my all time favorite. I can't recommend Year One and The Long Halloween enough, either. They also have a beautiful two volume hardback edition of Knightfall that I'm dying to own.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 02:50:56 PM »
Also, I could put this here or in the comic book movie thread, but I've started working my way through the new PG-13 DC Animated Batman films. Year One was outstanding and was practically a shot for shot straight adaption of the novel. Also, Bryan fucking Cranston is Gordon and that should be all you need to know.

Batman: Under the Red Hood was incredible as well. Maybe the best animated Batman film of all time. It's right up there with Mask of the Phantasm. John DiMaggio is excellent as the Joker and the movie combines both the Death in the Family arc and the Under the Hood arc while somehow avoiding the few elements (Iranian ambassador Joker, anyone?) that dragged those down in the comics. The climactic scene between Batman, Red Hood, and Joker is just Batman writing at its finest.

Both of those films have me really excited for the two part animated version of The Dark Knight Returns they're doing (first part released Sept. 25, there's a trailer here: http://www.mtv.com/videos/misc/820585/exclusive-batman-the-dark-knight-returns-part-1-trailer.jhtml).

Batman.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 04:28:18 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 12, 2012, 02:45:58 PM

Terrible?

The Dark Knight Returns is outstanding, but CT is absolutely right. Don't read All Star Batman and Robin either. That thin little line between psychopath and Batman that Frank Miller walked so nicely in TDKReturns is destroyed in those two. He feeds Robin fucking rats.

Killing Joke is my all time favorite. I can't recommend Year One and The Long Halloween enough, either. They also have a beautiful two volume hardback edition of Knightfall that I'm dying to own.

Miller basically seems to have gone completely nuts after the September 11th attacks (he was living in NY writing TDKR at the time) and hasn't been the same writer since.  

Also, others may differ, but I really liked the "No Man's Land" arc, which is collected in trade.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 05:56:32 PM »
Quote from: CT III on August 12, 2012, 04:28:18 PM

Terrible?

Miller basically seems to have gone completely nuts after the September 11th attacks (he was living in NY writing TDKR at the time) and hasn't been the same writer since.  

Also, others may differ, but I really liked the "No Man's Land" arc, which is collected in trade.

Miller definitely lost his mind. He's written an insane revenge fantasy called Holy Terror, that was originally going to be Batman vs. al Queda until cooler heads prevailed.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 06:55:25 PM »
Quote from: Bort on August 12, 2012, 05:56:32 PM
Quote from: CT III on August 12, 2012, 04:28:18 PM

Terrible?

Miller definitely lost his mind. He's written an insane revenge fantasy called Holy Terror, that was originally going to be Batman vs. al Queda until cooler heads prevailed.

Yeah. He was also part of the brains behind the original planned Batman reboot with Darin Arinofsky, the Year One (that was nothing like the comic Year One) where Bruce Wayne was a streetwise orphan raised by a black mechanic named Big Al. Oh, and the Batmobile was a Lincoln Continental. Basically, Miller's fucking insane.

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 07:26:25 PM »
All Star Batman and Robin may have sucked, but it did give us this:

Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 09:24:56 PM »
Quote from: Tinker to Evers to Chance on August 12, 2012, 07:26:25 PM

True. And it's entertaining if you pretend it's a parody.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 09:54:45 PM »
Quote from: Bort on August 12, 2012, 09:24:56 PM
Quote from: Tinker to Evers to Chance on August 12, 2012, 07:26:25 PM

True. And it's entertaining if you pretend it's a parody.

Speaking of parody...

http://mightygodking.com/index.php/i-dont-need-your-civil-war/

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 10:09:40 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 12, 2012, 02:50:56 PM
Also, I could put this here or in the comic book movie thread, but I've started working my way through the new PG-13 DC Animated Batman films. Year One was outstanding and was practically a shot for shot straight adaption of the novel. Also, Bryan fucking Cranston is Gordon and that should be all you need to know.

Batman: Under the Red Hood was incredible as well. Maybe the best animated Batman film of all time. It's right up there with Mask of the Phantasm. John DiMaggio is excellent as the Joker and the movie combines both the Death in the Family arc and the Under the Hood arc while somehow avoiding the few elements (Iranian ambassador Joker, anyone?) that dragged those down in the comics. The climactic scene between Batman, Red Hood, and Joker is just Batman writing at its finest.

Both of those films have me really excited for the two part animated version of The Dark Knight Returns they're doing (first part released Sept. 25, there's a trailer here: http://www.mtv.com/videos/misc/820585/exclusive-batman-the-dark-knight-returns-part-1-trailer.jhtml).

Batman.

I just came a little. Ok, a lot.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2012, 11:22:16 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on August 12, 2012, 10:09:40 PM
Quote from: SKO on August 12, 2012, 02:50:56 PM

Batman.

I just came a little. Ok, a lot.

Yep. The Nolan films incorporated about as much of The Dark Knight Returns as you possibly could for a mainstream audience. If they animate the rest of it and market it directly to us nerds, I'll take it. I'm just waiting for them to announce that they're doing The Killing Joke. Then I can box up the Nolan Trilogy, Mask of the Phantasm, Under the Red Hood, the Dark Knight Returns, and Year One with that and have them buried with me.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 07:37:30 PM »

Geek Trivia: Miller changed course halfway through DKR after having read Watchmen.
M'lady.