News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Batman books  ( 30,000 )

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Batman books
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2015, 12:57:36 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 06, 2015, 12:56:04 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on January 06, 2015, 12:08:34 PM
Quote from: SKO on July 23, 2014, 10:38:44 AM
TPD:

Today is Batman Day, and comixology is having an absolutely Massive Batman sale. The app is free to download, I think, and they have up to 750 different Batman comics on sale for .99, plus several graphic novels for 2.99 (normally $12.99). I bought Year One, The Dark Knight Returns, The Black Mirror, and The Killing Joke for less than $12.00. So if you like Batman and have a smart phone/tablet....this is something you might want to look into.

My 5-year old daughter has gotten pretty into Harley Quinn the past couple of months.  I have no idea how this happened.

I got her "Preludes and Knock Knock Jokes" but it's a little advanced for a 5-year old.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

DPD but not that Harley Quinn as she was depicted on the cartoon at least is anymore disturbing than the Joker, or anything, and I can see how the funny accent and stuff could be appealing to a kid, but as far as the books go she's been largely re-written over the last decade to be just a really deplorable character who is frequently forced into some pretty degrading situations, so you're probably not gonna find too many books that you'd want the kid reading.

I got Mad Love also. 

I'm sure, like everything else, this will be a few month phase and then we'll be on to something else totally bizarre.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2015, 01:03:03 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 06, 2015, 12:57:36 PM
TPD:

Today is Batman Day, and comixology is having an absolutely Massive Batman sale. The app is free to download, I think, and they have up to 750 different Batman comics on sale for .99, plus several graphic novels for 2.99 (normally $12.99). I bought Year One, The Dark Knight Returns, The Black Mirror, and The Killing Joke for less than $12.00. So if you like Batman and have a smart phone/tablet....this is something you might want to look into.

My 5-year old daughter has gotten pretty into Harley Quinn the past couple of months.  I have no idea how this happened.

I got her "Preludes and Knock Knock Jokes" but it's a little advanced for a 5-year old.

DPD but not that Harley Quinn as she was depicted on the cartoon at least is anymore disturbing than the Joker, or anything, and I can see how the funny accent and stuff could be appealing to a kid, but as far as the books go she's been largely re-written over the last decade to be just a really deplorable character who is frequently forced into some pretty degrading situations, so you're probably not gonna find too many books that you'd want the kid reading.

I got Mad Love also. 

I'm sure, like everything else, this will be a few month phase and then we'll be on to something else totally bizarre.

Yeah. Harley is a character that's interesting and sympathetic when used properly, like the TV show used her, and otherwise can venture into a creepy misogynistic portrayal of a woman in an abusive relationship really quickly, so I would hope she moves on before that stuff could actually make sense to her.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2015, 01:34:47 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 06, 2015, 01:03:03 PM
TPD:

I got Mad Love also. 

Yeah. Harley is a character that's interesting and sympathetic when used properly, like the TV show used her, and otherwise can venture into a creepy misogynistic portrayal of a woman in an abusive relationship really quickly, so I would hope she moves on before that stuff could actually make sense to her.

Yeah. The last page of Mad Love, which is...arguably the best comic portrayal of her, includes a reference to the classic soul song "He Hit Me (and It Felt Like a Kiss)." She's best seen on the TV show.

I don't know if they've been reprinted, but the Batman Adventures comics from the 90s, based on the cartoon show's aesthetic, also have some decent Harley stories, if I recall. 
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2015, 01:38:47 PM »
Quote from: Bort on January 06, 2015, 01:34:47 PM
TPD:

I got Mad Love also. 

Yeah. The last page of Mad Love, which is...arguably the best comic portrayal of her, includes a reference to the classic soul song "He Hit Me (and It Felt Like a Kiss)." She's best seen on the TV show.

I don't know if they've been reprinted, but the Batman Adventures comics from the 90s, based on the cartoon show's aesthetic, also have some decent Harley stories, if I recall. 

You can get em for .99 a piece on comixology.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2015, 02:13:15 PM »
TPD:

Listen to Mr. Expert...how many letters have YOU had published in comics?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #95 on: May 05, 2015, 02:58:10 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 06, 2015, 01:38:47 PM
TPD:

I got Mad Love also. 

Pretty glad that her Harley Quinn phase is 90% over, considering the photos released of Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn in some new dorky movie.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #96 on: May 05, 2015, 03:08:12 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on May 05, 2015, 02:58:10 PM
TPD:

I got Mad Love also. 

Pretty glad that her Harley Quinn phase is 90% over, considering the photos released of Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn in some new dorky movie.

Honestly that costume's not as awful as I thought it would be. I hate that character so much though. Glad she's moving on. You should get her to read Batgirl or something.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2015, 03:11:21 PM »
Quote from: SKO on May 05, 2015, 03:08:12 PM
TPD:

I got Mad Love also. 

Honestly that costume's not as awful as I thought it would be. I hate that character so much though. Glad she's moving on. You should get her to read Batgirl or something.

We're actually just not reading comics at all.
Felt that was a better long-term investment.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #98 on: May 05, 2015, 03:16:03 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on May 05, 2015, 03:11:21 PM
Quote from: SKO on May 05, 2015, 03:08:12 PM
TPD:

I got Mad Love also. 

We're actually just not reading comics at all.
Felt that was a better long-term investment.

Fair enough.