News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Django  ( 3,814 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Django
« on: December 25, 2012, 09:37:22 PM »
The "D" is silent.  The movie isn't. 

I apologize for my flippant entry above.  I was very offended by this movie, as I was by the rewriting of history in "Inglorious Basterds".  But this movie is an orgy of blood and gore for the sake of blood and gore.  I heard that Spike Lee (who admits that he hasn't seen the movie, is ranting about the use of the "N" word.    Yes, every character uses it throughout the movie.  Tarantino might justify that on the basis of realism.  If that is his justification then how does he explain the unrealistic and exaggerated blood and body parts that he uses to underscore the killing?  Maybe I have been sensitized by what happened in Newtown and Webster, but this movie was obscenely violent.   Oh yes, he rewrites history.  The movie rewrites history by inventing a "Klan" like vigilante group that comically can't see through their masks.  The movie takes place before the Civil War when the White power structure didn't need a "Klan", because the governments of the Southern states made the masked "Klan" vigilantes  unnecessary. 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

BBM

• Hank White Fan Club
Re: Django
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 02:34:20 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on December 25, 2012, 09:37:22 PM
The "D" is silent.  The movie isn't. 

I apologize for my flippant entry above.  I was very offended by this movie, as I was by the rewriting of history in "Inglorious Basterds".  But this movie is an orgy of blood and gore for the sake of blood and gore.  I heard that Spike Lee (who admits that he hasn't seen the movie, is ranting about the use of the "N" word.    Yes, every character uses it throughout the movie.  Tarantino might justify that on the basis of realism.  If that is his justification then how does he explain the unrealistic and exaggerated blood and body parts that he uses to underscore the killing?  Maybe I have been sensitized by what happened in Newtown and Webster, but this movie was obscenely violent.   Oh yes, he rewrites history.  The movie rewrites history by inventing a "Klan" like vigilante group that comically can't see through their masks.  The movie takes place before the Civil War when the White power structure didn't need a "Klan", because the governments of the Southern states made the masked "Klan" vigilantes  unnecessary. 

Best part of the movie was Quentin Tarentino dying via nuclear bomb explosion.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 11:39:23 AM »
If you want to see a movie about violent revenge for slavery, rent "Amistad".   Ultimately the pre-Civil War Supreme Court held that the captives on the ship Amistad were not legally slaves because of the area where they were captured and therefore had a right to violent self defense.  When we think about the concept of owning a human being, and that person as chattel or property, we are morally repulsed.  Yet for the majority of Americans in the first 65% of the Nineteenth Century the issue was a technical legal issue, not a moral issue.   Even Lincoln, who believed that slavery was morally wrong,  premised his actions on interpretation of the Constitution, not morality,
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 11:40:02 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on January 02, 2013, 11:39:23 AM
If you want to see a movie about violent revenge for slavery, rent "Amistad".   Ultimately the pre-Civil War Supreme Court held that the captives on the ship Amistad were not legally slaves because of the area where they were captured and therefore had a right to violent self defense.  When we think about the concept of owning a human being, and that person as chattel or property, we are morallly repulsed.  Yet for the majority of Americans in the first 65% of the Nineteenth Century the issue was a technical legal issue, not a moral issue.   Even Lincoln, who believed that slavery was morally wrong,  premised his actions on interpretation of the Constitution, not morality,

GIVE US FREE!!
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 01:19:30 PM »
If you want to see a movie about violent revenge for slavery, rent "Amistad".   Ultimately the pre-Civil War Supreme Court held that the captives on the ship Amistad were not legally slaves because of the area where they were captured and therefore had a right to violent self defense.  When we think about the concept of owning a human being, and that person as chattel or property, we are morallly repulsed.  Yet for the majority of Americans in the first 65% of the Nineteenth Century the issue was a technical legal issue, not a moral issue.   Even Lincoln, who believed that slavery was morally wrong,  premised his actions on interpretation of the Constitution, not morality,

Woah, speak for yourself, champ.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 02:34:05 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 02, 2013, 01:19:30 PM

Preston Brooks'd.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 02:49:50 PM »
Quote from: Bort on January 02, 2013, 02:34:05 PM

Preston Brooks'd.

I just think they erred in making it a racial issue. There's a whole host of people out there of all creeds, colors, and persuasions who'd look good tendin' my fields.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 03:52:29 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 02, 2013, 02:49:50 PM

Preston Brooks'd.

I just think they erred in making it a racial issue. There's a whole host of people out there of all creeds, colors, and persuasions who'd look good tendin' my fields.

I for one, find the Irish to be a cheap and easily replaceable form of labor.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 06:15:34 PM »
Quote from: Bort on January 02, 2013, 03:52:29 PM

Preston Brooks'd.

For fuck's sake why would I want to give up the dole?
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 09:20:02 PM »
All butthurt aside, is this movie any good?
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 09:52:00 PM »
Quote from: flannj on January 02, 2013, 06:15:34 PM

Preston Brooks'd.

What if I pay you in whiskey? Cuts out the middleman.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 10:52:51 PM »
Quote from: Bort on January 02, 2013, 09:52:00 PM
Quote from: flannj on January 02, 2013, 06:15:34 PM
If you want to see a movie about violent revenge for slavery, rent "Amistad".   Ultimately the pre-Civil War Supreme Court held that the captives on the ship Amistad were not legally slaves because of the area where they were captured and therefore had a right to violent self defense.  When we think about the concept of owning a human being, and that person as chattel or property, we are morallly repulsed.  Yet for the majority of Americans in the first 65% of the Nineteenth Century the issue was a technical legal issue, not a moral issue.   Even Lincoln, who believed that slavery was morally wrong,  premised his actions on interpretation of the Constitution, not morality,

Preston Brooks'd.

What if I pay you in whiskey? Cuts out the middleman.

Make it whiskey and communion wafers... I could be convinced.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 09:06:09 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on January 02, 2013, 09:20:02 PM

I am sorry that I saw this movie.  However, there are those who think that it is the best movie of the year.  I have no way of explaining those people.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 11:03:03 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on January 03, 2013, 09:06:09 AM

I am sorry that I saw this movie.  However, there are those who think that it is the best movie of the year.  I have no way of explaining those people.

Are you sorry you saw it because it sucked or because you're butthurt about other stuff? I understand the objections (racism, violence) and I decided not to see the new Batman when it came out because I just wasn't in the mood for it after the theater shooting. Then I watched Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire like it was my job. So, I'm asking: Is this movie poorly-made, written, directed etc? Or is it just too much of a reminder of awful current events?
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 01:03:11 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on January 03, 2013, 11:03:03 AM
Quote from: CBStew on January 03, 2013, 09:06:09 AM

I am sorry that I saw this movie.  However, there are those who think that it is the best movie of the year.  I have no way of explaining those people.

Are you sorry you saw it because it sucked or because you're butthurt about other stuff? I understand the objections (racism, violence) and I decided not to see the new Batman when it came out because I just wasn't in the mood for it after the theater shooting. Then I watched Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire like it was my job. So, I'm asking: Is this movie poorly-made, written, directed etc? Or is it just too much of a reminder of awful current events?

I think that there was no writing whatsoever. ALERT SPOILER FOLLOWS:

Here is the story.  A couple of slave traders are herding a chain gang of slaves, they are stopped by a dentist who wants to know if any of the slaves can identify some guys who worked on a plantation, because he is really a bounty hunter and will be paid for killing them.  Django volunteers his help so the dentist kills the slave traders and he makes Django his partner and they kill all kinds of people.  The "plot" is that Django wants to liberate his wife from slavery and they end up at a plantation called "Candyland" which seems to have more overseers than slaves and there is a big shoot-out and explosions and the movie ends.  (On the way Django gets his exposed genitals fondled by the guy who plays Raylan's foil in "Justified".   Well, actually he grabs them so that he can cut them off, and I am not sure why this scene is in the movie except that it probably turns on the S/M crowd who are not satisfied with seeing a couple of hundred people repeatedly shot, stabbed and exploded.)