News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Americans  ( 13,393 )

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
The Americans
« on: February 20, 2013, 09:13:35 AM »
Anyone else watching this show about Commie KGB bastards living in 1980s America in deep cover? It's excellent.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Americans
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 09:29:09 AM »
Agree. The old technology and methods of communication is interesting to watch.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 09:44:30 AM »
Quote from: BH on February 20, 2013, 09:29:09 AM

It is interesting to me because it echoes the paranoid suspicions that we had in a much earlier period, the '40s  through the '60s.  By the '80s I don't think that we felt that the KGB agents among us were murderous moles. 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 09:45:30 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on February 20, 2013, 09:44:30 AM

It is interesting to me because it echoes the paranoid suspicions that we had in a much earlier period, the '40s  through the '60s.  By the '80s I don't think that we felt that the KGB agents among us were murderous moles. 

Paranoid suspicions or actual facts?

I'll let Roy Cohn decide.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 10:51:51 AM »
Keri Russell is secksy.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 11:52:04 AM »

Boo.  Hiss.  Boo.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 12:03:21 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on February 20, 2013, 11:52:04 AM

Boo.  Hiss.  Boo.

Stew seems awfully determined to declare that the age of Communist spies in America is over. I wonder why?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 02:43:09 PM »
Quote from: SKO on February 20, 2013, 12:03:21 PM

Boo.  Hiss.  Boo.

Stew seems awfully determined to declare that the age of Communist spies in America is over. I wonder why?

Hissssss.

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 02:54:54 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on February 20, 2013, 02:43:09 PM

Boo.  Hiss.  Boo.

Hissssss.

SECRET PUMPKIN!!!
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 06:22:06 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on February 20, 2013, 02:54:54 PM
Quote from: CBStew on February 20, 2013, 02:43:09 PM

Boo.  Hiss.  Boo.

Hissssss.

SECRET PUMPKIN!!!
That whole scenerio was so stupid I couldn't take it seriously

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 09:53:05 AM »
Haven't watched last night's episode yet but hot damn the Reagan shooting episode was a good one. They're painting a great picture of how and why the Cold War dragged on so long - both sides had some solid intelligence on the other but was almost hilariously inept at analyzing that intelligence. It's laughable that one would think Haig was executing a coup but when you come from a place where they don't even tell you a leader is dead, I can see why you'd read things completely wrong.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 10:04:17 AM »
Quote from: R-V on February 28, 2013, 09:53:05 AM
Haven't watched last night's episode yet but hot damn the Reagan shooting episode was a good one. They're painting a great picture of how and why the Cold War dragged on so long - both sides had some solid intelligence on the other but was almost hilariously inept at analyzing that intelligence. It's laughable that one would think Haig was executing a coup but when you come from a place where they don't even tell you a leader is dead, I can see why you'd read things completely wrong.

I was reminded that when Haig announced that he was in charge of the government I was completely befuddled.  Did they change the Constitution without telling anyone?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 04:20:37 PM »
Quote from: R-V on February 28, 2013, 09:53:05 AM

This show is a lot more entertaining if you believe that ISIS is somehow involved.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 09:23:29 AM »
A very interesting plot twist.  I can believe that a spy cell would intimidate their own if they suspect that the spies are turning.  But if the spies retaliate don't they demonstrate that they can no longer be trusted?  What now? Do they try to  run?  Do they become double agents?  Do they become even more outlaw than they already are?  (I can't imagine why they threw in the (almost) kidnapping of the kids.)

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 07:55:24 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on March 07, 2013, 09:23:29 AM
A very interesting plot twist.  I can believe that a spy cell would intimidate their own if they suspect that the spies are turning.  But if the spies retaliate don't they demonstrate that they can no longer be trusted?  What now? Do they try to  run?  Do they become double agents?  Do they become even more outlaw than they already are?  (I can't imagine why they threw in the (almost) kidnapping of the kids.)

I think they just wanted to show kids the dangers of hitchhiking. The guy they found to play the creepy hitchhiker couldn't have played it more brilliantly. He was, in fact, quite creepy.

It will be interesting going forward, the mistrust between the 2 main characters. And what will happen to them after she beat the crap out of the older lady they report to. At some point, I'm guessing the FBI neighbor finds out about them and they start working as double agents.