News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Not Dead Yet  ( 5,813 )

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Not Dead Yet
« on: May 21, 2013, 06:21:07 PM »
Since the prior "Where are they now" thread got Ratto'd and the "Single Greatest Thread" sure as shit isn't the place for updates on ex-Cubs, I figure we needed a new repository.

And, what better inspiration for this than Neal freaking Cotts (que BK?)

Quote from: BananaWorld
Rangers purchased the contract of LHP Neal Cotts from Triple-A Round Rock.
Cotts hasn't appeared in the majors since 2009 but has earned a call-up with some brilliant work at Triple-A, where he's posted a 0.78 ERA and absurd 42/5 K/BB ratio over 23 innings. He'll be used in middle relief.

Cotts' last appearance in the majors was 5/25/09 for the Cubs, so, if he were to pitch today that's 1,458 days between professional appearances.

For reference, Ted Williams was in WW2 for 3 years and had 1,297 days between appearances.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Not Dead Yet
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 10:07:49 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on May 21, 2013, 06:21:07 PM
Since the prior "Where are they now" thread got Ratto'd and the "Single Greatest Thread" sure as shit isn't the place for updates on ex-Cubs, I figure we needed a new repository.

Cotts hasn't appeared in the majors since 2009 but has earned a call-up with some brilliant work at Triple-A, where he's posted a 0.78 ERA and absurd 42/5 K/BB ratio over 23 innings. He'll be used in middle relief.

Cotts' last appearance in the majors was 5/25/09 for the Cubs, so, if he were to pitch today that's 1,458 days between professional   Major League appearances.

For reference, Ted Williams was in WW2 for 3 years and had 1,297 days between appearances.

Teddy Ballgame also noticed in his first plate appearance that home plate was askew, and after jawing with the umpire about it and playing on, they measured it postgame and found it was an 1/8" off.

Also, anyone notice that the guy who used to wear 22 for the Cubs has pitched only 4 more innings for Louisville than the current no. 22 has pitched for the Cubs this season? Prior has been on the DL since the end of April. In fewer than 90 days, we'll have the 7-year anniversary of Mark Prior's last postseason appearance.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 10:23:53 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on May 22, 2013, 10:07:49 AM

Cotts' last appearance in the majors was 5/25/09 for the Cubs, so, if he were to pitch today that's 1,458 days between professional   Major League appearances.

Teddy Ballgame also noticed in his first plate appearance that home plate was askew, and after jawing with the umpire about it and playing on, they measured it postgame and found it was an 1/8" off.

Also, anyone notice that the guy who used to wear 22 for the Cubs has pitched only 4 more innings for Louisville than the current no. 22 has pitched for the Cubs this season? Prior has been on the DL since the end of April. In fewer than 90 days, we'll have the 7-year anniversary of Mark Prior's last postseason appearance.

Oh, fuck. Are we skipping September altogether this year? Nobody told me. Shit.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 10:35:04 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on May 22, 2013, 10:23:53 AM

Also, anyone notice that the guy who used to wear 22 for the Cubs has pitched only 4 more innings for Louisville than the current no. 22 has pitched for the Cubs this season? Prior has been on the DL since the end of April. In fewer than 90 days, we'll have the 7-year anniversary of Mark Prior's last postseason Major League appearance.

Ah, it was the simulated game postseason, in which Prior squared off against Kerry Wood in the visitor's bullpen at the Great American Ballpark in August 2006.

Karma sucks.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 10:44:29 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on May 22, 2013, 10:35:04 AM
Quote from: Internet Apex on May 22, 2013, 10:23:53 AM

Cotts' last appearance in the majors was 5/25/09 for the Cubs, so, if he were to pitch today that's 1,458 days between professional  Major League appearances.

Also, anyone notice that the guy who used to wear 22 for the Cubs has pitched only 4 more innings for Louisville than the current no. 22 has pitched for the Cubs this season? Prior has been on the DL since the end of April. In fewer than 90 days, we'll have the 7-year anniversary of Mark Prior's last postseason Major League appearance.

Ah, it was the simulated game postseason, in which Prior squared off against Kerry Wood in the visitor's bullpen at the Great American Ballpark in August 2006.

Karma sucks.

Full credit on that picture to http://fireloupiniella.wordpress.com/

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 12:47:28 PM »

Cotts' last appearance in the majors was 5/25/09 for the Cubs, so, if he were to pitch today that's 1,458 days between professional appearances.

Not to be outdone by Neal Cotts, Jerome Williams has (quietly) been racking up quality appearances for the Angels for a couple of months now.

After not appearing in the majors from May 15, 2007 - August 17, 2011 (1553 days in your FACE, Neal Cotts) Williams (who actually played a fairly full season last year in the bigs) is currently sporting a 2.87 ERA and 1.11 WHIP through 62.2 IPs this year (not including today's in-progress game against the Orioles.)

Shockingly, despite seemingly being around for years and then out of baseball for all that time, he's still only 31 years old.

Nice move, Jim.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 12:50:22 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on June 12, 2013, 12:47:28 PM

Not to be outdone by Neal Cotts, Jerome Williams has (quietly) been racking up quality appearances for the Angels for a couple of months now.

After not appearing in the majors from May 15, 2007 - August 17, 2011 (1553 days in your FACE, Neal Cotts) Williams (who actually played a fairly full season last year in the bigs) is currently sporting a 2.87 ERA and 1.11 WHIP through 62.2 IPs this year (not including today's in-progress game against the Orioles.)

Shockingly, despite seemingly being around for years and then out of baseball for all that time, he's still only 31 years old.

Nice move, Jim.

Also, this happened.  Poor Jerome.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 12:52:32 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on June 12, 2013, 12:50:22 PM

Nice move, Jim.

Also, this happened.  Poor Jerome.

Must have been a short stint in the bullpen considering that he's starting today, 6 days after that post.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 01:07:18 PM »
DPD to acknowledge that Jason Marquis is tied for 2nd in the NL with 8 wins.

Also to point out that we've seen this before.

Career splits:
Pre All-Star Break: 78-57
Post All-Star Break: 42-54

I'm sure if you're someone to dive deeper in to stats, you'd find that this current pace is certainly not sustainable and probably note his 50/43 K:BB ratio and other more advanced metrics.

But you'd probably also be someone to neglect his new workout regime of...stick plunging?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 01:09:20 PM »
Did you cite W/L record as a stat that matters? Lay-zee.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 01:15:53 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on June 12, 2013, 01:09:20 PM

It was the only way I could shoehorn in a post about Jason Marquis.

And I think we can all agree that what we've been missing here is a Jason Marquis post.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 01:21:55 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on June 12, 2013, 01:15:53 PM

And I think we can all agree that what we've been missing here is a Jason Marquis post.

Your story checks out. Carry on.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 03:46:34 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on June 12, 2013, 01:15:53 PM

So why did you use a picture of Jason Biggs?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 05:20:54 PM »

That sentence is straight out of the Muskbox.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 10:46:26 AM »

Neal Cotts...DEALING.

22.2 IP, 13 H, 1 ER, 8 BB, 26 Ks.  0.40 ERA, 0.93 WHIP.

Somewhere in his Mom's basement, Kerm weeps.