News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Lunch... Jeetyet?  ( 21,967 )

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Lunch... Jeetyet?
« on: June 03, 2013, 12:12:03 PM »
I did.

Saucy Porka

For the Loop working stiffs, 400 S. Financial (2 doors south of SkrineChops).
They describe themselves as Asian Latin Fusion.
I had the Pork Carnitas Bao Tacos.

Breakfast and Lunch menus all of which looks outstanding.

I will be going back.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Lunch... Jeetyet?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 02:52:48 PM »
Quote from: flannj on June 03, 2013, 12:12:03 PM
I did.

Saucy Porka

I will be going back.

Validated.  Today had the short rib bao taco (excellent, if a little fatty) and the chroizo egg rolls (really suprisingly good).
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 12:51:37 PM »
Quote from: thehawk on June 03, 2013, 02:52:48 PM
I did.

Saucy Porka

I will be going back.

Validated.  Today had the short rib bao taco (excellent, if a little fatty) and the chroizo egg rolls (really suprisingly good).

Seconded on both the short rib baco and chorizo egg rolls.

Plus, Flannj was nice enough to stop by and say hello while I was waiting for my lunch to be ready.

One quick note: The list of menu item names that would be better than Ho Chi Minh would not be a short one. At least they're not a schnitzel place.

EDIT: Went back, had the vegetable egg roll and ginger-soy tofu baco. Pretty damn tasty, even without meat.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 01:11:43 PM »
Quote from: Fork on June 06, 2013, 12:51:37 PM
Quote from: thehawk on June 03, 2013, 02:52:48 PM
I did.

Saucy Porka

I will be going back.

Validated.  Today had the short rib bao taco (excellent, if a little fatty) and the chroizo egg rolls (really suprisingly good).

Seconded on both the short rib baco and chorizo egg rolls.

Plus, Flannj was nice enough to stop by and say hello while I was waiting for my lunch to be ready.

One quick note: The list of menu item names that would be better than Ho Chi Minh would not be a short one. At least they're not a schnitzel place.

EDIT: Went back, had the vegetable egg roll and ginger-soy tofu baco. Pretty damn tasty, even without meat.

Next time try the Asian Style Paella.
Best thing I've had there so far.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 02:42:58 PM »
Haute Sausage just opened on Franklin & Van Buren. I had the Okra Alligator, and I can recommend it highly.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 03:37:27 PM »
Quote from: Fork on October 28, 2013, 02:42:58 PM
Haute Sausage just opened on Franklin & Van Buren. I had the Okra Alligator, and I can recommend it highly.

The only reason for anybody to eat okra is if they can't get hold of filé.  If their Boerewors is the real thing, though, it'll be worth trying.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 04:38:17 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on October 28, 2013, 03:37:27 PM

The only reason for anybody to eat okra is if they can't get hold of filé.  If their Boerewors is the real thing, though, it'll be worth trying.

Filé is ground sassafras leaves, it has nothing to do with okra. I happen to use both in gumbo.
TIME TO POST!

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 04:46:13 PM »
Quote from: Fork on October 28, 2013, 04:38:17 PM

Filé is ground sassafras leaves, it has nothing to do with okra. I happen to use both in gumbo.

What the fuck is this Australian Welsh Belgian doing badmouthing okra?
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 02:53:06 AM »

I know what filé is, mate.  And what I said makes perfect sense - if you can't get filé for your gumbo then, and only then, may you use okra.  Otherwise, nobody has any business eating it.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 09:06:49 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on October 29, 2013, 02:53:06 AM

I know what filé is, mate.  And what I said makes perfect sense - if you can't get filé for your gumbo then, and only then, may you use okra.  Otherwise, nobody has any business eating it.

Sorry, man. I didn't know it was a staple in Ram's Ball Pie.
TIME TO POST!

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 11:09:52 AM »
DPD.

Also on Van Buren, just east of Franklin, the Washburne Culinary school just opened a cafe a couple weeks ago. Quality eats for not a lot of scratch.
TIME TO POST!

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 11:45:31 AM »

I understand okra's an acquired taste, but I don't go slapping around beans on toast or spotted dick or whatever it is your native cuisine is.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 11:53:03 AM »
Quote from: Bort on October 29, 2013, 11:45:31 AM

I understand okra's an acquired taste, but I don't go slapping around beans on toast or spotted dick or whatever it is your native cuisine is.

I haven't seen Bort this worked up since somebody bad-mouthed Hootie and the Blowfish on Twitter.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2013, 11:59:47 AM »
Quote from: CT III on October 29, 2013, 11:53:03 AM
Quote from: Bort on October 29, 2013, 11:45:31 AM

I haven't seen Bort this worked up since somebody bad-mouthed Hootie and the Blowfish on Twitter.

Oddly enough, I'm not a huge okra fan (outside of gumbo, where it fucking belongs). I think this falls under the "nobody picks on my brother but me," or something.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 02:56:13 PM »
Quote from: Fork on October 29, 2013, 11:09:52 AM
DPD.

Also on Van Buren, just east of Franklin, the Washburne Culinary school just opened a cafe a couple weeks ago. Quality eats for not a lot of scratch.

It's on Jackson just east of Franklin