News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Curt Schilling's Bloody Sock can fucking do one.  ( 1,092 )

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Curt Schilling's Bloody Sock can fucking do one.
« on: July 19, 2013, 07:40:13 AM »
Bernhard Carl "Bert" Trautmann, German goalkeeper who fought for three years on the Eastern Front as a paratrooper - earning, amongst other things, an Iron Cross - and ended up as a POW in Lancashire, England.  He refused repatriation at the end of the war and signed on to play for Manchester City F.C., eventually being named Footballer of the Year in 1956.  Perhaps most famous for playing the last twenty minutes of the 1956 FA Cup Final with a BROKEN FUCKING NECK:

"In the 75th minute, Trautmann, diving at an incoming ball, was knocked out in a collision with Birmingham's Peter Murphy in which he was hit in the neck by Murphy's right knee. No substitutes were permitted, so Trautmann, dazed and unsteady on his feet, carried on. For the remaining 15 minutes he defended his net, making a crucial interception to deny Murphy once more. Manchester City held on for the victory, and Trautmann was the hero of the final because of his spectacular saves in the last minutes of the match"

"His neck continued to cause him pain, and Prince Philip commented on its crooked state as he gave Trautmann his winner's medal. Trautmann attended that evening's post-match banquet despite being unable to move his head, and went to bed expecting the injury to heal with rest. As the pain did not recede, the following day he went to St George's Hospital, where he was told he merely had a crick in his neck which would go away. Three days later, he got a second opinion from a doctor at Manchester Royal Infirmary. An X-ray revealed he had dislocated five vertebrae in his neck, the second of which was cracked in two."

They don't make 'em like that any more, ladies and gentlemen.  Auf wiedersehen, Bert.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Curt Schilling's Bloody Sock can fucking do one.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 09:34:08 AM »
I'm just amazed that the vocalist for Bauhaus played for Birmingham.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 10:01:14 AM »
So Curt Schilling is still alive? Thanks for nothin', Tonk.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 11:29:10 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on July 19, 2013, 10:01:14 AM
So Curt Schilling is still alive? Thanks for nothin', Tonk.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck