News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Frank Castillo  ( 2,114 )

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Frank Castillo
« on: July 29, 2013, 03:22:02 PM »
Didn't have a catchy headline other than something about drowning franks in ketchup that was awful awful.

44 years old.

He pitched the first Cubs game I ever saw with my wife.  And lost.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-former-cubs-pitcher-castillo-drowns-20130729,0,3684753.story

Bonk

• Hank White Fan Club
Re: Frank Castillo
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 06:32:21 PM »
As bad as he was with the Cubs, who knew he had a killer sinker?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 06:36:14 PM »
Quote from: Bonk on July 29, 2013, 06:32:21 PM
As bad as he was with the Cubs, who knew he had a killer sinker?

Alternate: Frank Castillo's Stuff Has Got A Lot of Sink.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 07:50:44 PM »
Epsink is terrible.

while reading about Castillo, I found out George Scott, one of the great badass AL helmet-wearing first basemen of the 70s, also left us.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 05:56:07 AM »
Frank Castillo...

...was the surprise "#3 Starter" as a rookie in '92, the year Maddux won the Cy Young and then LEFT US (Mike Morgan being #2)...
...was a horrible hitter--even for a pitcher--but won a car from Brian McRae when he homered in BP in 1997...shortly before being dealt to Colorado.
...had a smoking hot wife, IIRC.

I was in attendance in 1995 when his no-hit bid was spoiled with 2 outs in the 9th by Bernard Gilkey of St. Louis, making Castillo the third Cub pitcher after Chuck Rainey ('83...Eddie Milner...Johnny Bench's last game at Wrigley) and Jose Guzman ('93...Otix Nixon) to go 8 2/3 no-hit at Wrigley and get it spoiled.

And unlike Chuck, it wasn't sensitivity that would've kept me from offering up something clever as a title, it's that there was nothing clever that I could otherwise associate with Frank Castillo.  The things above are the first things that spring to mind, and none of those would've been worth the effort to envelop into a title.

I'll only add that this makes 3 starters on the mid-90's Cub who have left us, the others being Kevin Foster and G(J?)eremi Gonzalez.  You better watch your ass, Jim Bullinger.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 08:24:26 AM »
Is Huey confessing?  Ken Bottenfield better stay clear of the Granville stop.

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 08:56:47 AM »
Who could forget Frank's performance with the Grizz?

I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 08:58:28 AM »
Good point by PANK: Frank Castillo's wife was definitely a thing I was into back when he was a Cub/Not Fish Food.

She was smoking hot.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 09:13:26 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 30, 2013, 05:56:07 AM
And unlike Chuck, it wasn't sensitivity that would've kept me from offering up something clever as a title, it's that there was nothing clever that I could otherwise associate with Frank Castillo.
Ummm..... Sensitivity?

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 09:44:36 AM »
Frank Castillo...

...was the surprise "#3 Starter" as a rookie in '92, the year Maddux won the Cy Young and then LEFT US (Mike Morgan being #2)...
...was a horrible hitter--even for a pitcher--but won a car from Brian McRae when he homered in BP in 1997...shortly before being dealt to Colorado.
...had a smoking hot wife, IIRC.

I was in attendance in 1995 when his no-hit bid was spoiled with 2 outs in the 9th by Bernard Gilkey of St. Louis, making Castillo the third Cub pitcher after Chuck Rainey ('83...Eddie Milner...Johnny Bench's last game at Wrigley) and Jose Guzman ('93...Otix Nixon) to go 8 2/3 no-hit at Wrigley and get it spoiled.

And unlike Chuck, it wasn't sensitivity that would've kept me from offering up something clever as a title, it's that there was nothing clever that I could otherwise associate with Frank Castillo.  The things above are the first things that spring to mind, and none of those would've been worth the effort to envelop into a title.

I'll only add that this makes 3 starters on the mid-90's Cub who have left us, the others being Kevin Foster and G(J?)eremi Gonzalez.  You better watch your ass, Jim Bullinger.

I came home tripping on mushrooms to find my pissed-off father watching Frank's no-hit bid. I guess he and my mom had a fight or something or maybe he could tell I was as high as a Georgia pine. Anyway, my dad was such a dick that night and I hated Frank Castillo so much that I went downstairs and hoped his no-hitter would get broken up. When it did, I felt an odd sense of relief. I did not want him to die though. This sucks.

EDIT: Looking back at his stats I think it's possible that I didn't start hating Castillo until 1996 when he led the league in losses with 16. And maybe I wasn't even rooting against his no-hitter but have often since thought about that night and him with enough disdain to believe that I didn't want it to happen.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 07:43:40 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 30, 2013, 09:13:26 AM
And unlike Chuck, it wasn't sensitivity that would've kept me from offering up something clever as a title, it's that there was nothing clever that I could otherwise associate with Frank Castillo.
Ummm..... Sensitivity?

Yeah I mis-read.  Call it a default FYC setting.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 08:17:53 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 30, 2013, 07:43:40 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 30, 2013, 09:13:26 AM
Ummm..... Sensitivity?

Yeah I mis-read.  Call it a default FYC setting.

The important thing is that not having a good title didn't stop Chuck from starting the thread.

Fuck you, Chuck!
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.