News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Beer  ( 214,034 )

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Beer
« Reply #1020 on: August 29, 2017, 03:14:22 PM »
Quote from: CT III on August 29, 2017, 02:53:18 PM
Quote from: Oleg on August 29, 2017, 01:39:03 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on August 29, 2017, 12:29:59 PM
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on August 29, 2017, 07:20:33 AM
Quote from: Tonker on August 29, 2017, 01:03:02 AM
Quote from: Wheezer on August 28, 2017, 02:36:21 PM
Quote from: Canadouche on July 03, 2017, 10:42:36 PM
For the people out there who prefer cider, Stella Artois just might be the very best.

*blink*

Yeah.  I wrote a post some time ago pooh-poohing this but it got lost and I couldn't be arsed to go back and write it again.  I understand that this is entirely a matter of taste and as such, completely subjective... but anyone who thinks that Stella Artois cider is the very best really needs to try more ciders.  It's fine.  Good, even.  But the very best?  Nope.

I thought cider was for the gheys and such.

It was for a while until the Gluten-Frees got a hold of it and took it mainstream. 
Cider is acceptable again in many circles. 

Not mine, but others.

I love a good, dry cider every once in a while and I don't give a shit what you fuckers call me because of it.

Sweet ciders are for those who miss the halcyon days Bartles and James.

Well fuck you very much too.

A couple years back I was working on a cider project for New Belgium and did an informal focus group/taste testing of what's currently out there to look for white space.

Most of it was pretty terrible, but there were a couple sweets that were crowd pleasers. The dryer ones generally performed better.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1021 on: August 29, 2017, 03:22:06 PM »
For the people out there who prefer cider, Stella Artois just might be the very best.

*blink*

Yeah.  I wrote a post some time ago pooh-poohing this but it got lost and I couldn't be arsed to go back and write it again.  I understand that this is entirely a matter of taste and as such, completely subjective... but anyone who thinks that Stella Artois cider is the very best really needs to try more ciders.  It's fine.  Good, even.  But the very best?  Nope.

It was for a while until the Gluten-Frees got a hold of it and took it mainstream. 

Not mine, but others.

I love a good, dry cider every once in a while and I don't give a shit what you fuckers call me because of it.

For your support.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1022 on: August 31, 2017, 04:09:18 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on August 29, 2017, 03:14:22 PM

*blink*

Not mine, but others.

A couple years back I was working on a cider project for New Belgium and did an informal focus group/taste testing of what's currently out there to look for white space.

Most of it was pretty terrible, but there were a couple sweets that were crowd pleasers. The dryer ones generally performed better.

The Seattle semi-sweet was much more dry than I expected. I'm not paying $12 for a four-pack, but I think that was the best of the bunch.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1023 on: July 25, 2018, 04:07:18 PM »
I find the Dogfish Head Sea Quech Ale to be a remarkably good example of the sour style, even though it's mislabeled as a session beer at 4.9% ABV.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1024 on: August 28, 2018, 08:31:16 AM »
On the other hand, the Lagunitas Dark Swan is rather meh, as well as being overpriced. Great, 8.7% ABV, whatever.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1025 on: August 28, 2018, 01:31:43 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on July 25, 2018, 04:07:18 PM
I find the Dogfish Head Sea Quech Ale to be a remarkably good example of the sour style, even though it's mislabeled as a session beer at 4.9% ABV.

4.9% is definitely top end, but I'd still consider that a session beer.  Is there an official scale for these things?
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1026 on: August 28, 2018, 07:41:19 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on August 28, 2018, 01:31:43 PM

4.9% is definitely top end, but I'd still consider that a session beer.  Is there an official scale for these things?

There isn't, but you'll never see anything over 5% ABV labeled as such. 

There was a time that they were sub 4.0%, but it's pretty hard to find anything in this country that low outside of Colorado and Utah gas station and supermarket 3.2%.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1027 on: August 29, 2018, 01:47:22 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on August 28, 2018, 07:41:19 PM

There was a time that they were sub 4.0%, but it's pretty hard to find anything in this country that low outside of Colorado and Utah gas station and supermarket 3.2%.

So-called 3.2 beers are ABW, not ABV. Honker's used to be 4.2 ABV, which is in the session category, although they've upped it to 4.3. Hell, PBR is 4.7 ABV, and I defy anyone to call it a session beer, modulo the meaning of "session."

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1028 on: August 29, 2018, 05:07:40 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on August 29, 2018, 01:47:22 AM

So-called 3.2 beers are ABW, not ABV. Honker's used to be 4.2 ABV, which is in the session category, although they've upped it to 4.3. Hell, PBR is 4.7 ABV, and I defy anyone to call it a session beer, modulo the meaning of "session."

Sleeman in Canada brews a strong version of PBR (5.9%), and you can even get it in 24 oz cans.  I brought four of those bad boys home with me, because I like bad beer in large quantities, it seems.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1029 on: August 31, 2018, 10:03:43 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on August 29, 2018, 05:07:40 AM
Quote from: Wheezer on August 29, 2018, 01:47:22 AM

Sleeman in Canada brews a strong version of PBR (5.9%), and you can even get it in 24 oz cans.  I brought four of those bad boys home with me, because I like bad beer in large quantities, it seems.

At least you didn't get Natty Ice. A friend of mine's brother and sister-in-law came to visit recently (until they checked into a hotel, as they were sharing a room with six foster kittens and their mother), and she somehow chose Hamm's. Turned out that the SIL knew the whole song.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1030 on: November 13, 2018, 12:16:02 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on August 31, 2017, 04:09:18 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on August 29, 2017, 03:14:22 PM
For the people out there who prefer cider, Stella Artois just might be the very best.p

*blink*

Not mine, but others.

The Seattle semi-sweet was much more dry than I expected. I'm not paying $12 for a four-pack, but I think that was the best of the bunch.

I am disappointed with the 2 Towns Brightcider. I should have known better, as they also have brain-dead flavored ciders. Virtue brand going forward.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1031 on: November 30, 2018, 04:24:33 PM »
Anyway, on the the PBR front, I was totally unaware of its near demise until just recently.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1032 on: December 03, 2018, 03:58:53 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on November 30, 2018, 04:24:33 PM
Anyway, on the the PBR front, I was totally unaware of its near demise until just recently.

It was about 2-3 solid weeks of potential demise before it was miraculously saved.
I'm not saying it was a PR stunt, but I'm a little cynical.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1033 on: June 16, 2019, 10:03:12 PM »
Now, the Penrose Session Sour, at 4% ABV, is accurately labeled. In its tiny 12 oz. cans.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1034 on: June 27, 2019, 02:26:49 AM »
The Finch Tacocat kettle sour, at 5% ABV, is worth every penny.