News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Javier Baez 2014 ROY-MVP-World Series MVP Thread  ( 129,582 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Javier Baez 2014 ROY-MVP-World Series MVP Thread
« Reply #960 on: August 25, 2017, 10:08:56 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 25, 2017, 09:07:42 AM
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on August 25, 2017, 09:01:16 AM
He'll be getting some MVP votes, no?  I'm not exactly certain when Russell went out but it certainly feels the Cubs taking a hold of the division sort of coincided with Baez playing every day at short.  And more than a coincidence is the fact that Baez has won several games with his bat and his defense has simply been otherworldly during this time.  Crazy to think that as recently as June, 2016 he and Soler were considered the 2 most expendable prospects.

People were trying to trade Javy in May because Happ "made him expendable"

If anybody out of the young guys is expendable, it's Russell. He's become not-as-good-Baez.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #961 on: August 25, 2017, 10:19:11 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on August 25, 2017, 10:08:56 AM
He'll be getting some MVP votes, no?  I'm not exactly certain when Russell went out but it certainly feels the Cubs taking a hold of the division sort of coincided with Baez playing every day at short.  And more than a coincidence is the fact that Baez has won several games with his bat and his defense has simply been otherworldly during this time.  Crazy to think that as recently as June, 2016 he and Soler were considered the 2 most expendable prospects.

If anybody out of the young guys is expendable, it's Russell. He's become not-as-good-Baez.

I'd hold off on this.  I mean it's truer than it was a year ago--I'd have laughed at anyone who suggested it then-- but it's still early.  The nice thing is the Cubs don't need to decide anytime soon. 
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #962 on: August 25, 2017, 10:31:02 AM »

That's the Tot Hake. But I see that as possible more because of Russell's off field antics than his on.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #963 on: August 25, 2017, 10:33:59 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 25, 2017, 10:31:02 AM

That's the Tot Hake. But I see that as possible more because of Russell's off field antics than his on.

This is the same team that traded for Chapman.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #964 on: August 25, 2017, 10:40:09 AM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on August 25, 2017, 10:19:11 AM
He'll be getting some MVP votes, no?  I'm not exactly certain when Russell went out but it certainly feels the Cubs taking a hold of the division sort of coincided with Baez playing every day at short.  And more than a coincidence is the fact that Baez has won several games with his bat and his defense has simply been otherworldly during this time.  Crazy to think that as recently as June, 2016 he and Soler were considered the 2 most expendable prospects.

I'd hold off on this.  I mean it's truer than it was a year ago--I'd have laughed at anyone who suggested it then-- but it's still early.  The nice thing is the Cubs don't need to decide anytime soon.  

They don't need to decide this at all. One of them plays short, one of them plays second. Both are team controlled through 2021. Happ is never gonna be a full time second baseman and Zobrist is already dead. In case anyone forgot Gleyber got traded. There's no more position logjam in the middle infield. Why are we always trying to trade people who aren't going to get traded?

Also Addison's off field "antics" don't mean shit. MLB clearly found nothing to punish him for and his wife clearly isn't filing charges. We'll be left with an uncomfortable feeling rooting for a potential piece of shit for the next 5 years, but no team is going to give a controllable asset like Addison Russell away because of a nebulous off field incident that will never amount to any actual punishment from the law or the league.

Finally, Addison has dealt with a shoulder injury that has fucked with his throws all year and he's missed a considerable amount of time and he still ranks second among all MLB shortstops in defensive runs saved. He's not moving off that position no matter how flashy Javy is, especially since Javy's booted a few and statistically has always been an average shortstop who makes some flashy plays. Javy should remain the super utility guy who plays 2nd/3rd, because he's a legitimately elite defender at those positions.

TL, DR: stop trading away pieces of the core, you idiots. It's not going to happen.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #965 on: August 25, 2017, 10:47:55 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 25, 2017, 10:40:09 AM
He'll be getting some MVP votes, no?  I'm not exactly certain when Russell went out but it certainly feels the Cubs taking a hold of the division sort of coincided with Baez playing every day at short.  And more than a coincidence is the fact that Baez has won several games with his bat and his defense has simply been otherworldly during this time.  Crazy to think that as recently as June, 2016 he and Soler were considered the 2 most expendable prospects.

I'd hold off on this.  I mean it's truer than it was a year ago--I'd have laughed at anyone who suggested it then-- but it's still early.  The nice thing is the Cubs don't need to decide anytime soon.  

They don't need to decide this at all. One of them plays short, one of them plays second. Both are team controlled through 2021. Happ is never gonna be a full time second baseman and Zobrist is already dead. In case anyone forgot Gleyber got traded. There's no more position logjam in the middle infield. Why are we always trying to trade people who aren't going to get traded?

Also Addison's off field "antics" don't mean shit. MLB clearly found nothing to punish him for and his wife clearly isn't filing charges. We'll be left with an uncomfortable feeling rooting for a potential piece of shit for the next 5 years, but no team is going to give a controllable asset like Addison Russell away because of a nebulous off field incident that will never amount to any actual punishment from the law or the league.

Finally, Addison has dealt with a shoulder injury that has fucked with his throws all year and he's missed a considerable amount of time and he still ranks second among all MLB shortstops in defensive runs saved. He's not moving off that position no matter how flashy Javy is, especially since Javy's booted a few and statistically has always been an average shortstop who makes some flashy plays. Javy should remain the super utility guy who plays 2nd/3rd, because he's a legitimately elite defender at those positions.

TL, DR: stop trading away pieces of the core, you idiots. It's not going to happen.

Lighten up Francis.  2021 is not anytime soon.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #966 on: August 25, 2017, 10:50:04 AM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on August 25, 2017, 10:47:55 AM

TIME TO POST!

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #967 on: August 25, 2017, 11:14:11 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on August 25, 2017, 10:33:59 AM

And dumped Castro.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #968 on: August 25, 2017, 11:14:24 AM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on August 25, 2017, 10:47:55 AM

Oh I was more adding on to you what you were saying rather than attacking you. I will never understand Chucks' weird boner for trying to trade away guys who do not need to be traded. Other than Almora, who I think is more valuable to the Cubs as a really good lefty-hitting fourth outfielder than he would be as trade bait, I really don't see any young player currently on the active MLB roster who is ever going to be moved. I don't know why Chuck always acts like they have to move someone at some point.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #969 on: August 25, 2017, 11:15:37 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 25, 2017, 11:14:11 AM

And dumped Castro.

Oh for sure, the Cubs dumped Castro because of sexual assault allegations from several years before he was traded, not because they were trying to win a World Series, Zobrist was available, and Castro was coming off of his second disastrous season in three years.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #970 on: August 25, 2017, 11:31:44 AM »

I didn't know MLB's investigation was closed.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #971 on: August 25, 2017, 11:34:01 AM »

And dumped Castro.

Because he was deemed expendable as a player.  

Do you really want to argue that Castro was otherwise deemed a more highly-rated player than Baez and Russell in the 2015/2016 offseason and the Cubs decided to pull the trigger on dealing him 4 years after his purported off-field indiscretion?  To be fair, you have taken the stand on stupider arguments so I guess I wouldn't be shocked.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #972 on: August 25, 2017, 11:35:03 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 25, 2017, 11:15:37 AM

And dumped Castro.

Oh for sure, the Cubs dumped Castro because of sexual assault allegations from several years before he was traded, not because they were trying to win a World Series, Zobrist was available, and Castro was coming off of his second disastrous season in three years.

And Warren wasn't supposed to suck.
TIME TO POST!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #973 on: August 25, 2017, 12:05:09 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on August 25, 2017, 11:31:44 AM

I didn't know MLB's investigation was closed.

I thought I had seen that they had announced that it was closed because they found nothing and his wife didn't want to cooperate anyway. Either way I expect if they were gonna do anything they'd have done it by now, if it is still open it is only because they are waiting for the most opportune time to close it without drawing attention to the issue.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #974 on: August 25, 2017, 12:14:52 PM »
I should make it clear here that I am not saying "Addison did nothing wrong" or that MLB/cops finding no evidence of wrong-doing means nothing happened. I'm sure he did some shitbag thing and I feel uncomfortable rooting for him because he's potentially a shitbag. I'm just cynical enough that I don't expect anything to happen because with no charges ever filed and the wife not cooperating there's basically nothing for MLB to base a suspension on. In Chapman's case I believe charges were filed then dropped later.