News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Javier Baez 2014 ROY-MVP-World Series MVP Thread  ( 129,867 )

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Javier Baez 2014 ROY-MVP-World Series MVP Thread
« Reply #990 on: April 12, 2018, 10:38:18 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 12, 2018, 10:05:52 AM
Quote from: Bort on April 12, 2018, 09:47:33 AM
Quote from: SKO on April 12, 2018, 08:19:35 AM
I really do understand why neutral observers look at how Javy's peaks and valleys even out and think Cubs fans overreact to a guy who is sort of just a decent player by the numbers, but also fuck those people because Javy is so very, very fun.

He is The Most Fun, and if you can watch him and give a shit about the numbers, you should only get your baseball from box scores.

some people really have become so obsessed with never being caught being an irrational, emotional fan to the point that they forget that the entire point of this is entertainment and that yes, there's a lot of value in a guy who maybe isn't a superstar just being a good player who you can never take your eyes off of because he just might do something crazy or stupid or both.

Is this a subtweet?

Anyway, I cringe to think of the time I considered Javy and Jorge to be the 2 expendable blue chip youngsters (March 2015).  The dude's not only fun but   he's not even doing it for show--it's all in the pursuit of kicking your  ass on the field.  The guy fucking wins games with this shit.  Sammy was "fun" but also a shithead.  This guy just toys with opponents. That he does it with such elan does make it more enjoyable but FUCK he's a helluva player.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #991 on: April 12, 2018, 10:44:59 AM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on April 12, 2018, 10:38:18 AM
I really do understand why neutral observers look at how Javy's peaks and valleys even out and think Cubs fans overreact to a guy who is sort of just a decent player by the numbers, but also fuck those people because Javy is so very, very fun.

He is The Most Fun, and if you can watch him and give a shit about the numbers, you should only get your baseball from box scores.

some people really have become so obsessed with never being caught being an irrational, emotional fan to the point that they forget that the entire point of this is entertainment and that yes, there's a lot of value in a guy who maybe isn't a superstar just being a good player who you can never take your eyes off of because he just might do something crazy or stupid or both.

Is this a subtweet?

Anyway, I cringe to think of the time I considered Javy and Jorge to be the 2 expendable blue chip youngsters (March 2015).  The dude's not only fun but   he's not even doing it for show--it's all in the pursuit of kicking your  ass on the field.  The guy fucking wins games with this shit.  Sammy was "fun" but also a shithead.  This guy just toys with opponents. That he does it with such elan does make it more enjoyable but FUCK he's a helluva player.

No it's not a subtweet. I obviously have issues with the "YOU CAN NEVER GET ANGRY AT A BALLGAME" part of Cub twitter including you, but that's a whole different animal from the "wow these fans dare like a 2 WAR player a disproportionate amount because he has some kind of intangible *excitement* factor? How dare they! the numbers will tell you the quiet and unremarkable competence of Neil Walker is far better!!!"

Frankly I don't even think Cubs fans overrate Javy. I don't know anyone who isn't aware of his flaws or how they keep him from being a superstar, we just really love the dude? That should be OK. To some people it's not.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #992 on: April 12, 2018, 11:00:43 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 12, 2018, 10:44:59 AM

Is this a subtweet?

No it's not a subtweet. I obviously have issues with the "YOU CAN NEVER GET ANGRY AT A BALLGAME" part of Cub twitter including you, but that's a whole different animal from the "wow these fans dare like a 2 WAR player a disproportionate amount because he has some kind of intangible *excitement* factor? How dare they! the numbers will tell you the quiet and unremarkable competence of Neil Walker is far better!!!"

Frankly I don't even think Cubs fans overrate Javy. I don't know anyone who isn't aware of his flaws or how they keep him from being a superstar, we just really love the dude? That should be OK. To some people it's not.

This line will strike, as hilarious, anyone here who has sat with me at Wrigley Field over the years--but particularly in the following years: 1997, the second-half of 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2010 and 2011.  You keep swinging at those windmills, buddy--that is a hilariously misappropriated characterization.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #993 on: April 12, 2018, 11:14:05 AM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on April 12, 2018, 11:00:43 AM

Is this a subtweet?

This line will strike, as hilarious, anyone here who has sat with me at Wrigley Field over the years--but particularly in the following years: 1997, the second-half of 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2010 and 2011.  You keep swinging at those windmills, buddy--that is a hilariously misappropriated characterization.

I mean, yes, I do find it deeply ironic that a man who has wanted Mark DeRosa summarily executed for a single double play consistently berates me for my overreactions, yes. I get it, though. The fatalism bothers people who aren't fatalists, your anger is somehow more appropriate than mine, blah blah. I don't care. People are going to fan how they wanna fan. I don't care if fork boldly predicts HOF careers for everyone and I'd vastly prefer that outcome, obviously. I'm just gonna panic and be a dipshit because I'm a panicky dipshit and how many fucking times are we going to go over this before I just block you and be done with it
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #994 on: April 12, 2018, 11:20:28 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 12, 2018, 11:14:05 AM

Is this a subtweet?

I mean, yes, I do find it deeply ironic that a man who has wanted Mark DeRosa summarily executed for a single double play consistently berates me for my overreactions, yes. I get it, though. The fatalism bothers people who aren't fatalists, your anger is somehow more appropriate than mine, blah blah. I don't care. People are going to fan how they wanna fan. I don't care if fork boldly predicts HOF careers for everyone and I'd vastly prefer that outcome, obviously. I'm just gonna panic and be a dipshit because I'm a panicky dipshit and how many fucking times are we going to go over this before I just block you and be done with it

It's probably better for both of us.

I did take your advice and stop following you for a while in 2016, until they won the pennant I believe (which I believe was your stipulation...I was just following your advice).  I just thought the team finally fucking winning it all would lessen the urgency for all of us.  I know it's done wonders for my temperment--but anyway, nice chat.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #995 on: April 12, 2018, 11:24:49 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 12, 2018, 11:14:05 AM

Is this a subtweet?

Also, lest we forget, it was the double play (in '07) and the missed double play (in '08).  Get your HUEYRAGE straight. 

In any event I'd rather shit on a glib asshole who didn't deliver what I've always wanted to see as a fan than a group of guys who have.  Silly, old, too-cool-for-school rational me I guess.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #996 on: April 12, 2018, 11:27:11 AM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on April 12, 2018, 11:20:28 AM

I did take your advice and stop following you for a while in 2016, until they won the pennant I believe (which I believe was your stipulation...I was just following your advice).  I just thought the team finally fucking winning it all would lessen the urgency for all of us.  I know it's done wonders for my temperment--but anyway, nice chat.

I mean, it has. I might bitch for a bit on twitter during games they are losing but then I go on about my day. You do not find me here pissing and moaning long after games are over (though I am reserving the right to perpetually wish death upon Jason Heyward throughout this summer), I was surprisingly calm during the NLCS, I even watched the World Series after the Cubs were eliminated (when in previous years if the Cubs had lost in October I angrily avoided basically all baseball until the next season began).

I'm never going to not be irritated when my team is losing a baseball game. I am aware that is an overreaction to an irrelevant data point that some people don't have, and that's great. I am aware it might annoy people and they should probably just unfollow me if they cannot refrain from being irritated by it. RV has done so before, Fearless Leader unfollowed me in like 2015 and I doubt he's ever regretted it. I myself do not follow Chuck on twitter because I do not seek out bad opinions sure to piss me off and tempt me to engage. You will note I have never even once read one of your tweets and insisted you somehow react to something differently than however the fuck you want to react.

Seriously, I was trying to talk about Javy Baez here and this is yet again the only active desipio thread and it's just you and me yelling at each other again anot talking about Javier Baez. Are you not exhausted by this

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #997 on: April 12, 2018, 11:37:02 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 12, 2018, 11:27:11 AM

I mean, it has. I might bitch for a bit on twitter during games they are losing but then I go on about my day. You do not find me here pissing and moaning long after games are over (though I am reserving the right to perpetually wish death upon Jason Heyward throughout this summer), I was surprisingly calm during the NLCS, I even watched the World Series after the Cubs were eliminated (when in previous years if the Cubs had lost in October I angrily avoided basically all baseball until the next season began).

I'm never going to not be irritated when my team is losing a baseball game. I am aware that is an overreaction to an irrelevant data point that some people don't have, and that's great. I am aware it might annoy people and they should probably just unfollow me if they cannot refrain from being irritated by it. RV has done so before, Fearless Leader unfollowed me in like 2015 and I doubt he's ever regretted it. I myself do not follow Chuck on twitter because I do not seek out bad opinions sure to piss me off and tempt me to engage. You will note I have never even once read one of your tweets and insisted you somehow react to something differently than however the fuck you want to react.

Seriously, I was trying to talk about Javy Baez here and this is yet again the only active desipio thread and it's just you and me yelling at each other again anot talking about Javier Baez. Are you not exhausted by this

Exhausted?  I'm just getting started.

Seriously, though--Javy fucking rules.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #998 on: April 12, 2018, 12:42:51 PM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on April 12, 2018, 11:37:02 AM

Exhausted?  I'm just getting started.

Seriously, though--Javy fucking rules.

It probably means nothing given how many IBBs he's gotten for batting 8th but Javy has a 23% K Rate and a 14 (!) % walk rate right now, which, if nothing else, is just not a sentence I ever expected to be able to write about Javier Baez.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #999 on: April 12, 2018, 12:48:02 PM »

Look who's tempting someone to engage.

I guess this response means you win.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1000 on: April 12, 2018, 01:08:56 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on April 12, 2018, 12:48:02 PM

If you're involved no one wins.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1001 on: April 12, 2018, 01:21:12 PM »
This is the worst Laverne and Shirley script ever.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1002 on: April 12, 2018, 02:14:53 PM »
Quote from: SKO on April 12, 2018, 01:08:56 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on April 12, 2018, 12:48:02 PM

If you're involved no one wins.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1003 on: April 12, 2018, 03:37:06 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on April 12, 2018, 01:21:12 PM
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1004 on: April 12, 2018, 04:25:17 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on April 12, 2018, 01:21:12 PM

What are these "twitters" and "tweets" of which they speak?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)