News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Javier Baez 2014 ROY-MVP-World Series MVP Thread  ( 129,597 )

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Javier Baez 2014 ROY-MVP-World Series MVP Thread
« Reply #1040 on: August 07, 2018, 02:26:50 PM »
Sorry, Mets, he's ours, all ours.  But can we interest you in a slightly used Elite Shortstop Addison Russell for one of those crummy pitchers of yours?  Just a matter of time until you've got another Matt Harvey on your hands...you don't want that, do you?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1041 on: August 07, 2018, 02:46:30 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on August 07, 2018, 02:26:50 PM
Sorry, Mets, he's ours, all ours.  But can we interest you in a slightly used Elite Shortstop Addison Russell for one of those crummy pitchers of yours?  Just a matter of time until you've got another Matt Harvey on your hands...you don't want that, do you?

The best thing about this is that I can totally see the Mets metting their way into coughing up a top-of-the-rotation pitcher for a team's second-best shortstop.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1042 on: September 06, 2018, 09:03:32 AM »
DPD for more El Mago baserunning awesomeness in last night's game.
TIME TO POST!

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1043 on: September 06, 2018, 09:20:17 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on September 06, 2018, 09:03:32 AM

At this point, his reputation has so comprehensively given the defensive willies to all but the very calmest heads that he can more or less do what he likes.  He's letting himself down a little bit here and there at the moment - I suspect it's been a long season - but I'm already looking forward to him creating even more bedlam on the bases at the beginning of next year when he's fresh again.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1044 on: September 06, 2018, 12:38:06 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on September 06, 2018, 09:20:17 AM

At this point, his reputation has so comprehensively given the defensive willies to all but the very calmest heads that he can more or less do what he likes.  He's letting himself down a little bit here and there at the moment - I suspect it's been a long season - but I'm already looking forward to him creating even more bedlam on the bases at the beginning of next year when he's fresh again.

Or when the postseason begins.

And I agree with your take--the first 4 months of the season the guy was impossible to throw out on the bases.  I know he was 18-for-19 in stolen bases attempts at one point but it also seemed whenever he dared to take an extra base he always made it--it got to the point when, if I was listening to the radio for example and heard him take off, I just assumed Pat Hughes would call him safe and this was always the case ("Of course he's safe," I'd  mutter to myself, "You can't throw Javy Baez out on the bases").  It seems around the time he was 18-for19 in SB attempts, he had also only been thrown out on the bases in a non-SB attempt one time.  I'm sure this can be easily verified/disputed but I feel that through mid-July the dude had only been thrown on the basepaths two times all year.  Since then, it's finally caught up to him.  I know he's been gunned down a few times since while trying to take an extra bases and has also been thrown out on a few stolen base attempts but still--on balance, the guy is nearly impossible to gun down on the basepaths.  What a skill-that-I-had-never-before-considered-to-be-such-a-tangible-skill.  The guy just wreaks havoc on defenses, as he showed this series.  Zo Cain is an arguable Gold Glove Centerfielder and Baez forced him into 2 errors this week--one fielding, one throwing, both simply due to Javy being Javy.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1045 on: September 06, 2018, 01:04:24 PM »
Quote from: World's #1 Astros Fan on September 06, 2018, 12:38:06 PM

And I agree with your take--the first 4 months of the season the guy was impossible to throw out on the bases.  I know he was 18-for-19 in stolen bases attempts at one point but it also seemed whenever he dared to take an extra base he always made it--it got to the point when, if I was listening to the radio for example and heard him take off, I just assumed Pat Hughes would call him safe and this was always the case ("Of course he's safe," I'd  mutter to myself, "You can't throw Javy Baez out on the bases").  It seems around the time he was 18-for19 in SB attempts, he had also only been thrown out on the bases in a non-SB attempt one time.  I'm sure this can be easily verified/disputed but I feel that through mid-July the dude had only been thrown on the basepaths two times all year.  Since then, it's finally caught up to him.  I know he's been gunned down a few times since while trying to take an extra bases and has also been thrown out on a few stolen base attempts but still--on balance, the guy is nearly impossible to gun down on the basepaths.  What a skill-that-I-had-never-before-considered-to-be-such-a-tangible-skill.  The guy just wreaks havoc on defenses, as he showed this series.  Zo Cain is an arguable Gold Glove Centerfielder and Baez forced him into 2 errors this week--one fielding, one throwing, both simply due to Javy being Javy.
Let's see.  Who does Javy remind me of?  Perhaps Rickey Henderson, who stole 1406 bases and hit 297 home runs. 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1046 on: September 06, 2018, 01:53:09 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on September 06, 2018, 01:04:24 PM

Let's see.  Who does Javy remind me of?  Perhaps Rickey Henderson, who stole 1406 bases and hit 297 home runs.

Jackie Robinson? He created a lot of havoc.
TIME TO POST!

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1047 on: September 06, 2018, 06:40:07 PM »
I wish I could dig up the article, but I read something not too long ago about how opposing teams at the time thought Roberto Clemente to be a very selfish player due to the havoc he wreaked on the base paths, because it's apparently very selfish for a brown baseball player to win baseball games by disrupting the shit out of the opposition. But reading that article reminded me a lot of Javy - so, in my mind, that's the guy I compare him to, mentally -- Clemente.
M'lady.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1048 on: September 07, 2018, 03:59:34 AM »

Paragraphs are your friends, Huey. And I'll bet Oleg can scoot right around them bases.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1049 on: September 07, 2018, 06:26:45 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on September 07, 2018, 03:59:34 AM

Paragraphs are your friends, Huey. And I'll bet Oleg can scoot right around them bases.

As a fan of medieval texts, I enjoy seeing the scribe that transferred this text managed to write the 18-for-19 line a second time in this particular manuscript.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck