News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Fargo  ( 33,479 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Fargo
« on: April 15, 2014, 11:04:56 PM »
If you remember the movie the best one word description was "quirky".  The TV show goes beyond quirky to "bizarre".   I would like to say that there was a coherent strain to the writing.  I can't.  It is as though a committee was appointed to write it and the only rules were to place it in Minnesota, have a female cop, a ruthless villain, and a lot of gore.  Sometimes it is funny, other times it is turn your head away violent.  Martin Freeman was the connecting thread in the first show.  He plays it strictly for laughs.  Billy Bob Thornton is the ruthless killer.  No laughs.  Colin Hanks got top billing.  He was in it for only the last two minutes of the hour and a half.  Keith Carradine plays the lady cop's father.  A bunch of people play stereotypical victims.  I will watch it next week because it is well plotted and is well produced.  But if the next episode is like the first it will probably lose me.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Fargo
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 11:47:03 PM »
No, Stew.

Quote from: CBStew on April 15, 2014, 11:04:56 PM
If you remember the movie the best one word description was "quirky".

When was the last time you watched the film? I think it might be a lot darker than you remember.

Sometimes it is funny, other times it is turn your head away violent.

More or less nailing the tone of the film.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 11:39:07 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on April 15, 2014, 11:47:03 PM
No, Stew.

When was the last time you watched the film? I think it might be a lot darker than you remember.

A woman gets bashed on the head with a ball peen hammer.  Before she falls to the floor she crosses her eyes.  I gasped and laughed simultaneously.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 11:56:14 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on April 16, 2014, 11:39:07 AM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on April 15, 2014, 11:47:03 PM
No, Stew.

A woman gets bashed on the head with a ball peen hammer.  Before she falls to the floor she crosses her eyes.  I gasped and laughed simultaneously.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 10:12:25 AM »
So, I've never seen the film. I know, right!? I play my character so perfectly. Anyway, fear not, it's on the DVR awaiting a viewing shortly.

However, I did watch the first episode of the boobtoob series and I freaking loved it. It killed me how they use polite underhanded insults ALL THE TIME, EH?

I can't tell you if I've ever laughed at a middle aged woman getting bludgeoned to death via ball peen hammer to the skull, but I can tell you that's the first time I've laughed hysterically at someone doing it while saying "Ah, geez" every time they swung.

Great pilot, I'm all in.

ETA: Saw the film yesterday, loved it. So, there.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 11:11:53 PM »
"Sir! Your unguent!"

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 09:43:45 PM »
I am loving the shit out of this show (pun intended).

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 10:17:13 AM »
I saw the pilot last night. I'm interested but I too have an aversion to all the gore. I know I watch a lot of violent shit and this shouldn't bother me but it kind of does. I'm not sure why.

Well written and produced. Good show. We'll see how it goes in Episode 2.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 11:59:33 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on April 25, 2014, 10:17:13 AM
I saw the pilot last night. I'm interested but I too have an aversion to all the gore. I know I watch a lot of violent shit and this shouldn't bother me but it kind of does. I'm not sure why.

I will say I really enjoyed the second episode and at the risk of being an RV, you should go watch it now.

But I also have to say, I'm a little confused with the comments on the gore.  Not to say that the pilot wasn't gory but as most of the people I know who watch this show are also devoted fans of Justified, I'm kind of curious as to why the gore in this show bothers you enough to be a potential turn off, as opposed to the equally gory (in my opinion) and relatively uncommented upon (at least here) fate of poor Mr. Picker.

Has Justified simply earned enough goodwill at this point for you to overlook that, or is it more about the characters that the violence is being visited upon?  Obviously you might feel differently about a brutally violent end for a ruthless gangster than for an innocent (albeit annoying) housewife and an extremely likable small town Sheriff.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 01:35:55 PM »
Quote from: CT III on April 25, 2014, 11:59:33 AM

I will say I really enjoyed the second episode and at the risk of being an RV, you should go watch it now.

But I also have to say, I'm a little confused with the comments on the gore.  Not to say that the pilot wasn't gory but as most of the people I know who watch this show are also devoted fans of Justified, I'm kind of curious as to why the gore in this show bothers you enough to be a potential turn off, as opposed to the equally gory (in my opinion) and relatively uncommented upon (at least here) fate of poor Mr. Picker.

Has Justified simply earned enough goodwill at this point for you to overlook that, or is it more about the characters that the violence is being visited upon?  Obviously you might feel differently about a brutally violent end for a ruthless gangster than for an innocent (albeit annoying) housewife and an extremely likable small town Sheriff.

I guess that if you live/work in Minnesota, you travel with a drill that will cut a 2 foot diameter hole in the ice of a frozen lake so that you can take someone out of the trunk of your car and slide him in.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 02:21:59 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on April 25, 2014, 01:35:55 PM

I guess that if you live/work in Minnesota, you travel with a drill that will cut a 2 foot diameter hole in the ice of a frozen lake so that you can take someone out of the trunk of your car and slide him in.

Well, it's probably intended for fishermen but I guess once you drill the hole you can do whatever you want with it.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 02:56:24 PM »
Quote from: CT III on April 25, 2014, 02:21:59 PM

Well, it's probably intended for fishermen but I guess once you drill the hole you can do whatever you want with it.

Indeed.

And those guys seem capable enough to plan ahead, expecting that they might just wind up with a body or two in need of ditching down an ice hole.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 05:26:25 PM »
Quote from: CT III on April 25, 2014, 02:21:59 PM

Maybe they run late night infomercials on TV highlighting the various uses?

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 08:33:33 PM »

I'm almost positive it's THI.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 12:24:40 PM »
DPD

Ok. I saw it! It was excellent. I'm in.