News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2014-2015: Apex's Mark Price Shirsey Returns!  ( 33,416 )

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: InternetApex on June 24, 2014, 10:47:00 AM
Quote from: Eli on June 24, 2014, 10:30:44 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on June 24, 2014, 09:49:25 AM
Quote from: ChuckD on June 24, 2014, 09:47:50 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on June 24, 2014, 09:32:40 AM
Quote from: BH on June 24, 2014, 09:12:12 AM
It's going to be an amazing summer for Bulls fans - lots of rumors about getting Lebron, Love and/or Carmelo, only to be used as leverage and end up with Ben Gordon.

*Opts out of Heat fandom*

Fixed.

Well that's why I had my agent put that option year in there. It's a sound business move. Only fans of say, Rudy Geigh, opt into a deal like that.

But in all semi-sincerity, what are you going to do if/when LeBron goes elsewhere?

I would root for LeBron's new team. But I would do so much more quietly than I have these past four years. As you guys know I was out on the NBA for several years following the demise of my old Knicks. I was a LeBron "fan" but didn't go full dong chug until he went to Miami and invigorated my interest in the league. Since then I've spent countless hours watching every team on League Pass, pouring over articles about the game, reading books about NBA history (Bill Simmons, Jack McCallum, David Halberstam etc.) and engaging in eleventy bajillion flame wars on the internet. I don't think it matters who LeBron plays for, I'm a fan of his game, not the Heat. I wasn't a fan of the New York Knicks. I was fan of Patrick Ewing. I wasn't a fan of the Celtics. I was a fan of Larry Bird. That's how it is for me. It makes me a target for ridicule and that's fine. The internet is fun. But I'm going to continue rooting for LeBron because I get a lot of joy out of that. I've made some excellent internet friends in the process and learned a ton about the sport. That all works for me.

Believe or not, I will also follow the Heat as I've grown to really like Erik Spoelstra and I hope that he could establish himself as a top flight coach independent of the game's best player. It's possible that after LeBron retires, I would just become a fan of Spoelstra. I glommed onto Jeff Van Gundy and Yao Ming's Rockets just for an ill-fated cup of coffee so I might do that again until the next player arrives who catches my undivided attention.

If you think that's weird, that's fine. You're probably really weird too in your own gross way.

Curious, what do you like so much about Spoelstra?

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
It's going to be an amazing summer for Bulls fans - lots of rumors about getting Lebron, Love and/or Carmelo, only to be used as leverage and end up with Ben Gordon.

Fixed.

Well that's why I had my agent put that option year in there. It's a sound business move. Only fans of say, Rudy Geigh, opt into a deal like that.

But in all semi-sincerity, what are you going to do if/when LeBron goes elsewhere?

I would root for LeBron's new team. But I would do so much more quietly than I have these past four years. As you guys know I was out on the NBA for several years following the demise of my old Knicks. I was a LeBron "fan" but didn't go full dong chug until he went to Miami and invigorated my interest in the league. Since then I've spent countless hours watching every team on League Pass, pouring over articles about the game, reading books about NBA history (Bill Simmons, Jack McCallum, David Halberstam etc.) and engaging in eleventy bajillion flame wars on the internet. I don't think it matters who LeBron plays for, I'm a fan of his game, not the Heat. I wasn't a fan of the New York Knicks. I was fan of Patrick Ewing. I wasn't a fan of the Celtics. I was a fan of Larry Bird. That's how it is for me. It makes me a target for ridicule and that's fine. The internet is fun. But I'm going to continue rooting for LeBron because I get a lot of joy out of that. I've made some excellent internet friends in the process and learned a ton about the sport. That all works for me.

Believe or not, I will also follow the Heat as I've grown to really like Erik Spoelstra and I hope that he could establish himself as a top flight coach independent of the game's best player. It's possible that after LeBron retires, I would just become a fan of Spoelstra. I glommed onto Jeff Van Gundy and Yao Ming's Rockets just for an ill-fated cup of coffee so I might do that again until the next player arrives who catches my undivided attention.

If you think that's weird, that's fine. You're probably really weird too in your own gross way.

In all seriousness, I have a friend that's a Kobe fan and would have followed him if he jumped to every team.

In all seriousness again, it's still fun as shit to ridicule said fans. YA GOTTA PICK A TEAM AND STICK WITH THEM LIKE I DID CAUSE YA GOTTA FEEL THE ANGUISH THAT WE FEEL WHEN THEY SUCK

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Tony on June 24, 2014, 10:34:52 AM

Fixed.

What if he comes here? We all hate Lebron... Apex hates the Bulls.... do we band together or just watch hockey?

I don't hate Lebron

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Slaky on June 24, 2014, 11:09:49 AM

Fixed.

What if he comes here? We all hate Lebron... Apex hates the Bulls.... do we band together or just watch hockey?

I don't hate Lebron

I really like Lebron. Outside of one poorly thought out tv special he seems like a stand up guy, a family man, a guy with a great sense of humor about himself, and he's also one of the best basketballers ever.

Michael Jordan seems like he was a sociopath who was a terrible teammate and a worse friend. I'd just root for whichever players played well for my favorite team.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on June 24, 2014, 11:15:03 AM

Fixed.

I don't hate Lebron

I really like Lebron. Outside of one poorly thought out tv special he seems like a stand up guy, a family man, a guy with a great sense of humor about himself, and he's also one of the best basketballers ever.

Michael Jordan seems like he was a sociopath who was a terrible teammate and a worse friend. I'd just root for whichever players played well for my favorite team.

This makes me sad. I no longer like Michael Jordan.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: BH on June 24, 2014, 11:04:48 AM

Fixed.

Curious, what do you like so much about Spoelstra?

I like that he started out working as a staffer in the Miami film room studying tape for Riley and Stan Van Gundy, who realized right away that he was a gifted problem-solver and promoted him to the bench right away. After Riley banished SVG, Spoelstra was kept on and handpicked as the successor. A guy with that kind of resume wouldn't get much leverage on an NBA team but with Riley backing him up, the players had to listen. And they did listen, because what he was saying actually helped them. Wade supported him from the very beginning and when a superstar player does that, everybody else follow suit. Riley did the same with Jeff and Stan Van Gundy and both have been successful coaches and commentators ever since.

I really admire the way he re-designed Miami's offense to fully exploit all of LeBron's talent. When you watch old games of LBJ in Cleveland and especially his first year in Miami you see a lot of standing around on the perimeter, dribbling out the shot clock and one-dimensional stuff. Spoelstra changed the offense to become LeBron's personal toy box and he maximized the talent of the best player in the world and won two titles. Phil did the same with Jordan and Kobe. Pop did it with Duncan. It's fascinating.

I also think that he was under ridiculous pressure all four years and when he won, he received zero credit. When they lost to Dallas he was excoriated - and rightly so in that case. The circus act that Miami became would have been very difficult for someone with lesser character to survive. He flinched a lot but never broke. And by God he yanked Doc Rivers pants down (2012 ECF) and tore Pop a new asshole (2013 NBAF). Anybody that argues that can take a look at the tape and try to be objective just for a moment.

I think he's the tits. So does LeBron by the way.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: BH on June 24, 2014, 11:18:25 AM

Fixed.

I don't hate Lebron

Yeah that's kind of the exact opposite of my point. I'm just saying Jordan is held up as some kind of paragon of "playing the game the right way/acting the right way" and used as the unattainable platonic ideal that LeBron can never hope to reach and all of this is reason why we shouldn't like LeBron, when really it seems like none of that shit matters, and if it did, you'd think LeBron would be the better player since by almost all accounts he's a much nicer person and better teammate.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on June 24, 2014, 11:30:32 AM
Quote from: BH on June 24, 2014, 11:18:25 AM

Fixed.

I don't hate Lebron

Yeah that's kind of the exact opposite of my point. I'm just saying Jordan is held up as some kind of paragon of "playing the game the right way/acting the right way" and used as the unattainable platonic ideal that LeBron can never hope to reach and all of this is reason why we shouldn't like LeBron, when really it seems like none of that shit matters, and if it did, you'd think LeBron would be the better player since by almost all accounts he's a much nicer person and better teammate.

Jordan punched his teammates in the face in practice. Practice. We're talking about practice. And he bitched about them all to high heaven until Pippen came into his own and Phil got them rolling. That's who he was.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
I don't hate Lebron

Pretty much this. I'd be thrilled if he was on the Bulls and any Bulls fan who says otherwise will change their mind 5 minutes into the first game.

He does put off sort of an A-Rod vibe that makes him easy to poke fun at, but that doesn't mean I dislike him. It's all entertainment anyway.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on June 24, 2014, 11:42:34 AM
I don't hate Lebron

Pretty much this. I'd be thrilled if he was on the Bulls and any Bulls fan who says otherwise will change their mind 5 minutes into the first game.

He does put off sort of an A-Rod vibe that makes him easy to poke fun at, but that doesn't mean I dislike him. It's all entertainment anyway.

What A-Rod vibe? A-Rod is a bit of a weirdo but I don't know what you mean.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: InternetApex on June 24, 2014, 11:57:18 AM
Quote from: Eli on June 24, 2014, 11:42:34 AM
I don't hate Lebron

What A-Rod vibe? A-Rod is a bit of a weirdo but I don't know what you mean.

I think I meant more that he gets treated similar to A-Rod. Historically talented, but he's made a few missteps and people seem to dislike his every move.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club

Fixed.

I don't hate Lebron

I don't really hate Lebron either, but that doesn't fit with the story.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Tony on June 24, 2014, 12:31:05 PM

Fixed.

I don't hate Lebron

LeBron here would be like Rodman here. Fine. Help them win. Great. But you'll never really be one of "us."

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 24, 2014, 12:49:35 PM

Fixed.

I don't hate Lebron

LeBron here would be like Rodman here. Fine. Help them win. Great. But you'll never really be one of "us."

#HotSportsTakes

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 24, 2014, 12:49:35 PM

Fixed.

I don't hate Lebron

You're probably joking, but I want to believe you are serious. What a post.