News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Birdman  ( 12,020 )

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Birdman
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2015, 02:33:58 PM »
Mrs. Butthead is due to pop out our first in a couple weeks. This whole thread is terrifying. I feel like we're reverse empty nesters. We've been together sans kid for close to 20 years, so this might be a bit of an adjustment.

I thought Boyhood was amazing. It was exciting and boring and happy and depressing all at the same time.

I haven't seen Birdman.

I don't know what thread I'm in.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2015, 05:45:02 PM »
Quote from: Tony on February 25, 2015, 02:33:58 PM
Mrs. Butthead is due to pop out our first in a couple weeks. This whole thread is terrifying. I feel like we're reverse empty nesters. We've been together sans kid for close to 20 years, so this might be a bit of an adjustment.

I thought Boyhood was amazing. It was exciting and boring and happy and depressing all at the same time.

I haven't seen Birdman.

I don't know what thread I'm in.

Kudos to you and Amanda, Tony.  Get as much sleep as you can--you'll miss it once the baby comes.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2015, 02:20:53 AM »
That's fantastic news, Tony, I'm made up for you, dude.

Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2015, 08:31:48 AM »
Great news. Congrats, Tony.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2015, 08:57:47 AM »
May Baby Butthead be born happy, healthy, and ready to enjoy a lifetime of Cubs success.

Congratulations to both of you.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2015, 10:16:57 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on February 27, 2015, 02:20:53 AM
That's fantastic news, Tony, I'm made up for you, dude.

I have no idea what you're trying to say, so I assume this.

I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2015, 11:10:01 AM »
I'm sure Apex is really loving this thread now.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2015, 01:05:32 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on February 24, 2015, 03:43:52 PM
Quote from: Bort on February 24, 2015, 02:48:05 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on February 24, 2015, 02:47:12 PM
Quote from: Tonker on February 24, 2015, 02:35:47 PM
Quote from: Eli on February 24, 2015, 02:24:09 PM
Quote from: Tonker on February 24, 2015, 02:09:23 PM
Yeah, several.  It was pretty hairy, one way and another, but honestly, even if he'd been a picture of health, I'd quite possibly still have found it overwhelming and deeply unpleasant.  My whole fucking life got turned completely upside-down and I didn't like it one bit.

I thought the first two weeks were awesome, since she was sleeping like 22 hours a day. Weeks 2-6 were pretty tough in a what-the-hell-have-I-done sort of way and are mostly a blur.

I've heard from very few dads who *love* having an infant, so I think this is a fairly universal thing. For whatever reason, new-dad struggles are something that isn't talked about a lot, so it came as a bit of a shock to me. I remember thinking that I was a bad person because I was certainly not "treasuring" every moment (as I was told to do by every old person at the grocery store). It still feels that way a bit, but less so even after a few months.

You're absolutely right.  People looked at me strange when I talked about how bloody difficult I was finding it, which just made me all the more determined not to make a secret of it.  I'm not ashamed of how I felt.  I think it was entirely underfuckingstandable, considering what had just happened to my previously self-centred existence.

First 4 months sucked. Then they start to play and it's fun.

Until they turn 15, fuck up their biology test, don't ask for help, and have a shitty-for-what-he-can-really-do first semester of high school.

I blame Twitter.

He's off for a long time. 6 days.

Still--probably felt like an eternity for the kid'd.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2015, 01:56:11 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on February 23, 2015, 02:21:39 PM
I saw Birdman on Saturday. It's great cinema. Very nicely shot. The acting was terrific. The whole thing is set within one theater so it's like a play, you know, the shots keep going and follow the actors and shit. Yay? It's sort of an adaptation of Michael Keaton's real life.

I think for people who are in show business this is probably the greatest statement about acting and writing and theater and whatever that anyone ever dreamed up. I spoke to a friend who is an actor and he fucking adored this film.

I was mostly bored. I'm sorry. I see the value here but I wasn't hooked.

I've spent a fair bit of time in theatres and backstage, one way and another, and Birdman did pretty much nail it.  It mostly just reminded me of most of the things I dislike about being in theatres and backstage, though.  The performances, as Peck says, from Keaton, Norton and Stone are excellent.  I didn't hate it, although it was a bit (unnecessarily) weird.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2015, 08:43:29 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on March 02, 2015, 01:05:32 PM
Yeah, several.  It was pretty hairy, one way and another, but honestly, even if he'd been a picture of health, I'd quite possibly still have found it overwhelming and deeply unpleasant.  My whole fucking life got turned completely upside-down and I didn't like it one bit.

I thought the first two weeks were awesome, since she was sleeping like 22 hours a day. Weeks 2-6 were pretty tough in a what-the-hell-have-I-done sort of way and are mostly a blur.

I've heard from very few dads who *love* having an infant, so I think this is a fairly universal thing. For whatever reason, new-dad struggles are something that isn't talked about a lot, so it came as a bit of a shock to me. I remember thinking that I was a bad person because I was certainly not "treasuring" every moment (as I was told to do by every old person at the grocery store). It still feels that way a bit, but less so even after a few months.

You're absolutely right.  People looked at me strange when I talked about how bloody difficult I was finding it, which just made me all the more determined not to make a secret of it.  I'm not ashamed of how I felt.  I think it was entirely underfuckingstandable, considering what had just happened to my previously self-centred existence.

Until they turn 15, fuck up their biology test, don't ask for help, and have a shitty-for-what-he-can-really-do first semester of high school.

I blame Twitter.

I didn't change his password.  I meant to.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2015, 11:19:39 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on March 17, 2015, 08:43:29 AM

I blame Twitter.

Tolerate So much Bullshit

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2015, 01:37:31 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on March 17, 2015, 08:43:29 AM

I blame Twitter.

He would have gotten "AwfulonsoSorryano12" on his first try anyway.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2015, 09:56:37 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on February 23, 2015, 12:05:36 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on February 23, 2015, 10:28:25 AM
Quote from: flannj on February 23, 2015, 10:25:30 AM
Quote from: SKO on February 23, 2015, 09:49:31 AM
Quote from: CBStew on February 23, 2015, 09:36:55 AM
Quote from: SKO on February 23, 2015, 09:31:09 AM
So did anyone even fucking see this thing?

Is it any good? I have heard only from people who think it's just some visionary masterpiece and people so incensed at it for being pretentious garbage they walked out of the theater.

"Pretentious garbage"?  That is my kind of movie!  My TV has been trying to get me to watch it.  Maybe I will.

Stew didn't even see this? WHO SAW THIS MOVIE

I did and I liked it, Keaton and Norton were excellent.
But I liked The Grand Budapest Hotel and Boyhood even more.
The Theory of Everything was my favorite of all the best picture nominees.
(haven't seen Whiplash yet)

Saw Boyhood Friday evening. It's fine.  Nothing special in terms of story.  Amazing that they were able to keep the project together over 12 years. The last act seems partially culled from Before Sunrise.

Much as, in some ways, I'd love to watch it, I've been deliberately avoiding "Boyhood".  The prospect of watching a film about a kid growing up and leaving home scares the fucking willies out of me.

After four awesome Christmas days with a full house...

Just put the oldest on a train to go back downtown.
Palmed a hundred to the middle one for "gas" as he drives back to his apartment.
The baby daughter just left with friends until Thursday.

This isn't getting any easier.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2016, 04:29:47 PM »
Quote from: flannj on December 27, 2015, 09:56:37 PM

Is it any good? I have heard only from people who think it's just some visionary masterpiece and people so incensed at it for being pretentious garbage they walked out of the theater.

"Pretentious garbage"?  That is my kind of movie!  My TV has been trying to get me to watch it.  Maybe I will.

Saw Boyhood Friday evening. It's fine.  Nothing special in terms of story.  Amazing that they were able to keep the project together over 12 years. The last act seems partially culled from Before Sunrise.

Much as, in some ways, I'd love to watch it, I've been deliberately avoiding "Boyhood".  The prospect of watching a film about a kid growing up and leaving home scares the fucking willies out of me.

Palmed a hundred to the middle one for "gas" as he drives back to his apartment.

Old buddy, it's not that I'm not interested, or that I don't sympathise: on the contrary, my heart bleeds for you... I just don't want to even think about it.  Ignoring problems is how you make them go away, right?

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2016, 04:35:19 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on January 04, 2016, 04:29:47 PM
Quote from: flannj on December 27, 2015, 09:56:37 PM

Old buddy, it's not that I'm not interested, or that I don't sympathise: on the contrary, my heart bleeds for you... I just don't want to even think about it.  Ignoring problems is how you make them go away, right?

Thank goodness my son is going to be a toddler forever.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck