News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Joe Maddon: The Man Behind the Glasses  ( 64,885 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Joe Maddon: The Man Behind the Glasses
« Reply #330 on: September 11, 2017, 10:05:35 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 10, 2017, 03:07:00 PM
Thank fucking christ Heyward is starting they might actually have scored more than one goddamn run.  Somedays I miss the gutless fucking assholes thread

What particular type of Zen is this that you're practicing?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #331 on: September 11, 2017, 10:08:29 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on September 11, 2017, 10:05:35 AM
Thank fucking christ Heyward is starting they might actually have scored more than one goddamn run.  Somedays I miss the gutless fucking assholes thread

There was an opt-out clause in my zen contract if they got swept and were in danger of blowing the division to either the Brewers or a mediocre as shit Cardinals team. Anyway, Joe sitting Schwarber for 3 straight games against RHP while starting Zobrist and Heyward and claiming its due to "matchups" would have been enough to give me an aneurysm even if I was the fucking Dalai Lama.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #332 on: September 11, 2017, 11:03:28 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 11, 2017, 10:08:29 AM

There was an opt-out clause in my zen contract if they got swept and were in danger of blowing the division to either the Brewers or a mediocre as shit Cardinals team. Anyway, Joe sitting Schwarber for 3 straight games against RHP while starting Zobrist and Heyward and claiming its due to "matchups" would have been enough to give me an aneurysm even if I was the fucking Dalai Lama.

Well, given that the matchups were "vs. major league pitchers" sitting Schwarber makes sense.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #333 on: September 11, 2017, 11:09:32 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 11, 2017, 11:03:28 AM

Well, given that the matchups were "vs. major league pitchers" sitting Schwarber makes sense.

Except even during his mini-slump this month Kyle has a .777 OPS, whereas Heyward has an OPS under .650 over the last two months. Not even his vaunted "defense" (which hasn't been as good this year as last year, per Fangraphs) can make up a gap like that. Schwarber should be starting, Heyward shouldn't.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #334 on: September 11, 2017, 11:11:34 AM »
Again, factoring in defense, baserunning, etc. there's literally nothing that makes Heyward a better player than Schwarber at this point. Heyward's been worth 0.8 fWAR this year, Kyle's been worth 1.0, and if you're comparing them in the second half it's not even close.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #335 on: September 11, 2017, 12:31:24 PM »

Christ you're one obtuse motherfucker.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #336 on: September 11, 2017, 01:02:53 PM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on September 11, 2017, 12:31:24 PM

Honestly Schwarber hasn't had a bad season. He had a bad month. He hit .246/.378/.459 in his first 16 games, and he's hit .238/.335/.539 in his last 63. In between those two he had a 35 game stretch where he hit .121/.243/.290. He's not taken the next step like we hoped into being Babe Ruth yet, but outside of one putrid stretch in late April/May he's been basically the same dude he was as a rookie.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #337 on: September 11, 2017, 01:13:40 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 11, 2017, 01:02:53 PM

Honestly Schwarber hasn't had a bad season. He had a bad month. He hit .246/.378/.459 in his first 16 games, and he's hit .238/.335/.539 in his last 63. In between those two he had a 35 game stretch where he hit .121/.243/.290. He's not taken the next step like we hoped into being Babe Ruth yet, but outside of one putrid stretch in late April/May he's been basically the same dude he was as a rookie.

Pitchers still fear him, which makes him formidable enough to have in the lineup.

That all said, I have 100 percent confidence in Joe Maddon that if he told me that I needed to drink a gallon of paint thinner because it would improve my life and/or the Cubs chances to win a ballgame, I'd only question him on which brand to drink. I don't think his "benching" of Schwarber is arbitrary; I wonder if the reason for it is one he doesn't care to share for competitive reasons. Either way, last year would have been the last season of Ricky Renteria's contract. I don't think he gets the Cubs to the playoffs during his tenure.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #338 on: September 11, 2017, 01:16:41 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on September 11, 2017, 01:13:40 PM

Pitchers still fear him, which makes him formidable enough to have in the lineup.

That all said, I have 100 percent confidence in Joe Maddon that if he told me that I needed to drink a gallon of paint thinner because it would improve my life and/or the Cubs chances to win a ballgame, I'd only question him on which brand to drink. I don't think his "benching" of Schwarber is arbitrary; I wonder if the reason for it is one he doesn't care to share for competitive reasons. Either way, last year would have been the last season of Ricky Renteria's contract. I don't think he gets the Cubs to the playoffs during his tenure.

I don't want Joe Maddon fired. I think he's probably the best manager out there for this team. That said, I recently got a raise at work and a promotion and yet they also still give me feedback on things they'd like me to do better at each performance review. There's nuance here. Running Heyward out there every day is bad. There is no level of defense in right field that justifies hitting like Jonathan Herrera. Joe should stop being a stubborn ass and forget whatever fucking lesson he's trying to teach and put out the lineup that has the best chance of winning a baseball game. That lineup has Kyle Schwarber in it and not Jason Heyward.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #339 on: September 11, 2017, 01:41:29 PM »
Thank fucking christ Heyward is starting they might actually have scored more than one goddamn run.  Somedays I miss the gutless fucking assholes thread

This is somewhat right. But he's also gone back off a cliff. His last 16 games are .196/.274/.482. That's worse than his start but for the HRs. It also is targeted appearances. I think he only has 4 PAs vs. lefties in that range. Not sure how many of the first 16 starts were against lefties.

Joe isn't playing him for a reason. Could be because he's hurt, could be because he's bad. I'm with TJ in that  I don't think Schwarber sitting because Joe is just playing a hunch.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #340 on: September 11, 2017, 01:46:40 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 11, 2017, 01:41:29 PM
Thank fucking christ Heyward is starting they might actually have scored more than one goddamn run.  Somedays I miss the gutless fucking assholes thread

This is somewhat right. But he's also gone back off a cliff. His last 16 games are .196/.274/.482. That's worse than his start but for the HRs. It also is targeted appearances. I think he only has 4 PAs vs. lefties in that range. Not sure how many of the first 16 starts were against lefties.

Joe isn't playing him for a reason. Could be because he's hurt, could be because he's bad. I'm with TJ in that  I don't think Schwarber sitting because Joe is just playing a hunch.

Aye, there's the rub. Those damn homers. Too bad those aren't extremely fucking valuable

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #341 on: September 11, 2017, 01:56:27 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 11, 2017, 01:46:40 PM

Aye, there's the rub. Those damn homers. Too bad those aren't extremely fucking valuable

I guess you're right. Joe's an idiot.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #342 on: September 11, 2017, 02:05:17 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 11, 2017, 01:56:27 PM
Quote from: SKO on September 11, 2017, 01:46:40 PM

I guess you're right. Joe's an idiot.

Smart people can sometimes overthink their way into doing something stubborn and stupid, like convincing themselves that outfield defense is so valuable that it merits playing a guy with 5 XBH since August 1st.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #343 on: September 11, 2017, 02:47:12 PM »
Either way, last year would have been the last season of Ricky Renteria's contract. I don't think he gets the Cubs to the playoffs during his tenure.

The Cubs won the division by 17.5 games last year. You really think Maddon is worth the equivalent of basically two Mike Trouts?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #344 on: September 11, 2017, 02:52:24 PM »
Quote from: Eli on September 11, 2017, 02:47:12 PM
Either way, last year would have been the last season of Ricky Renteria's contract. I don't think he gets the Cubs to the playoffs during his tenure.

The Cubs won the division by 17.5 games last year. You really think Maddon is worth the equivalent of basically two Mike Trouts?

Won the 2nd WC spot in 2015 by 13 as well.