News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Joe Maddon: The Man Behind the Glasses  ( 64,769 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Joe Maddon: The Man Behind the Glasses
« Reply #360 on: September 22, 2017, 08:17:25 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on September 22, 2017, 08:16:04 AM
Quote from: SKO on September 21, 2017, 10:24:00 PM
What the hell is he smoking tonight

Pretty sure he would have let Jake go another inning had he not been coming off an injury. That would have given Strop, Edwards and Davis all clean innings.

None of that remotely excuses the insane double switches but OK
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #361 on: September 22, 2017, 08:51:54 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 22, 2017, 08:17:25 AM

Pretty sure he would have let Jake go another inning had he not been coming off an injury. That would have given Strop, Edwards and Davis all clean innings.

If Jake could have gone 6 full innings there would have only been double switches to avoid the pitcher ever having his spot come up in the order. It's September, and Joe has a million guys on the bench. It's time to get weird.

Besides, if you're talking about the double switches being insane and not the rec-league 5 men in the infield being insane...
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #362 on: September 22, 2017, 10:29:10 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on September 22, 2017, 08:51:54 AM

If Jake could have gone 6 full innings there would have only been double switches to avoid the pitcher ever having his spot come up in the order. It's September, and Joe has a million guys on the bench. It's time to get weird.

Besides, if you're talking about the double switches being insane and not the rec-league 5 men in the infield being insane...

This is entirely my point, though.  Circumstances prevented Jake from going 6 so last night would have been a perfect to stretch Edwards out for a second inning.  It'd have been, considering what was at stake, a near-knockout punch in a playoff-like spot and the fact that Maddon went through the trouble of double-switching Almora into the game (before later taking Almora out of the game for a pinch-hitter after Baez tied it in the 9th...another mystifying move which I failed to mention earlier), seemed to indicate that Edwards was going to go 2.

I like Joe just fine and recognize that all managers make questionable moves, but just a reminder that in a tight, extra inning game that his 2 best outfielders were not even out there at the end.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #363 on: September 22, 2017, 10:32:59 AM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on September 22, 2017, 10:29:10 AM

This is entirely my point, though.  Circumstances prevented Jake from going 6 so last night would have been a perfect to stretch Edwards out for a second inning.  It'd have been, considering what was at stake, a near-knockout punch in a playoff-like spot and the fact that Maddon went through the trouble of double-switching Almora into the game (before later taking Almora out of the game for a pinch-hitter after Baez tied it in the 9th...another mystifying move which I failed to mention earlier), seemed to indicate that Edwards was going to go 2.

I like Joe just fine and recognize that all managers make questionable moves, but just a reminder that in a tight, extra inning game that his 2 best outfielders were not even out there at the end.

Pros of expanded rosters: they allow for rest and flexibility in extra inning games/blowouts
Con of expanded rosters: they give Maddon the freedom to get cute (aka make dumb moves)

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #364 on: September 22, 2017, 10:47:19 AM »

I think it's fine to accept that the things Joe does very well are the things we don't see and the things he doesn't do well are the things we do. There is no doubt there's a strong correlation between his determination to rest his players, not abuse his pitchers, etc. and the fact that his Cubs team have always been world-beaters in the second half. The never say die attitude and the constant comebacks late in games, in playoff series, etc. all of that should be attributed at least partly to Joe's leadership.

That said I think his bullpen management is sometimes too conventional, weirdly enough. His lineups are often illogical, and he gets oddly attached to certain role players like Jon Jay, and he makes lots of moves just to make moves. Even then I think that most studies have shown that batting orders and even bullpen usage are worth no more than a handful of wins each year in aggregate, so the criticism fans levy towards those decisions is often out of proportion with how important (not very) those things tend to be over 162 games.

TL, DR: I wouldn't want any other manager than Joe but he's also always going to do inexplicably irritating things, too.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #365 on: September 22, 2017, 10:57:39 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 22, 2017, 10:47:19 AM

I think it's fine to accept that the things Joe does very well are the things we don't see and the things he doesn't do well are the things we do. There is no doubt there's a strong correlation between his determination to rest his players, not abuse his pitchers, etc. and the fact that his Cubs team have always been world-beaters in the second half. The never say die attitude and the constant comebacks late in games, in playoff series, etc. all of that should be attributed at least partly to Joe's leadership.

That said I think his bullpen management is sometimes too conventional, weirdly enough. His lineups are often illogical, and he gets oddly attached to certain role players like Jon Jay, and he makes lots of moves just to make moves. Even then I think that most studies have shown that batting orders and even bullpen usage are worth no more than a handful of wins each year in aggregate, so the criticism fans levy towards those decisions is often out of proportion with how important (not very) those things tend to be over 162 games.

TL, DR: I wouldn't want any other manager than Joe but he's also always going to do inexplicably irritating things, too.

I agree, and I agree with Mike D.: you do not do a double switch if you are not gaining defense and you only want the relief pitcher to finish the inning and not start the next one.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #366 on: September 22, 2017, 10:59:35 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on September 22, 2017, 10:57:39 AM

I agree, and I agree with Mike D.: you do not do a double switch if you are not gaining defense and you only want the relief pitcher to finish the inning and not start the next one.

Yeah taking Heyward out of that game is pretty inexcusable.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #367 on: September 22, 2017, 11:40:53 AM »

We had season tickets to the A's games when LaRussa [over]managed.  It wasn't a game until Tony got every player off the bench and out of the bullpen.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #368 on: September 22, 2017, 01:08:41 PM »

Having read Verducci's book, I'm confident that, even when Joe is seemingly losing his goddamn mind, he's at least thought about what he's doing and has reasons which he could explain to you, even if you might disagree with them.

Apart from that BMIaez bunt with two strikes in the WS.  Nobody's ever going to convince me that Joe didn't have a tiny stroke right before that decision.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #369 on: September 22, 2017, 01:22:55 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on September 22, 2017, 01:08:41 PM

Having read Verducci's book, I'm confident that, even when Joe is seemingly losing his goddamn mind, he's at least thought about what he's doing and has reasons which he could explain to you, even if you might disagree with them.

Apart from that BMIaez bunt with two strikes in the WS.  Nobody's ever going to convince me that Joe didn't have a tiny stroke right before that decision.

I've read that book as well and the thing I pulled from it is that Joe often has incredibly well thought out game plans that he then abandons for no apparent reason. That book spends an entire chapter on how he planned to let Hendricks go 5 and then bring in Lester for a clean inning. He did the exact opposite of that, not trusting Hendricks to get 1 more out when he was cruising along in the 4th and had only "walked" Santana on what was clearly strike 3, then brought in Lester with runners on base.

I'm not asking whether Joe has reasoning or whether he thinks about these things. I think he's very much the victim of over-thinking more than anything.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #370 on: September 22, 2017, 01:43:42 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 22, 2017, 10:59:35 AM

Maybe he read your Heyward thread.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #371 on: September 22, 2017, 01:45:36 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on September 22, 2017, 01:43:42 PM

Yeah but I think I specifically call him a late inning defensive replacement!

Also Heyward's bat has looked fine lately. I don't get removing him from a game at all. If he was matchup proof when he had an OPS under .700 he's matchup proof now.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #372 on: September 22, 2017, 02:17:35 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 22, 2017, 01:45:36 PM

Also Heyward's bat has looked fine lately. I don't get removing him from a game at all. If he was matchup proof when he had an OPS under .700 he's matchup proof now.

When it's a comparatively robust .709!
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #373 on: September 22, 2017, 02:37:03 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on September 22, 2017, 02:17:35 PM
Quote from: SKO on September 22, 2017, 01:45:36 PM

When it's a comparatively robust .709!

Right, I mean I'm still of the belief that Heyward's contact numbers etc haven't really changed so even his .787 OPS in September is probably a mirage, too, but what I meant was if he was a goddamn fixture every day for 9 innings when he wasn't hitting at all, why suddenly deem him an interchangeable part once he actually is showing some signs of life with the bat.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #374 on: September 24, 2017, 02:16:44 PM »
What the fuck did Kyle Schwarber do to Joe Maddon? Fuck this Zobrist batting 5th with a .695 OPS while Kyle sits garbage. God dammit.