News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Joe Maddon: The Man Behind the Glasses  ( 64,862 )

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Joe Maddon: The Man Behind the Glasses
« Reply #495 on: October 19, 2017, 08:29:49 AM »
Quote from: J Rod on October 19, 2017, 08:20:41 AM
Quote from: Saul Goodman on October 19, 2017, 05:04:46 AM
Quote from: pisomojado8 on October 18, 2017, 10:52:36 PM
It was nice to let MLB let the Big XII crew take over umpiring this game for bit, then confused the LA Dodgers for Texa$$$

What

Jokes made from a POV not shared by the majority are hard to pull off.

Maybe a generalized PAC12 referee crew - widely recongnized as having terrible moments - reference would have landed better?

maybe they were really Bo Ryan on Rt 41?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #496 on: October 19, 2017, 10:07:44 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on October 19, 2017, 08:29:49 AM
Quote from: J Rod on October 19, 2017, 08:20:41 AM
Quote from: Saul Goodman on October 19, 2017, 05:04:46 AM
Quote from: pisomojado8 on October 18, 2017, 10:52:36 PM
It was nice to let MLB let the Big XII crew take over umpiring this game for bit, then confused the LA Dodgers for Texa$$$

What

Jokes made from a POV not shared by the majority are hard to pull off.

Maybe a generalized PAC12 referee crew - widely recongnized as having terrible moments - reference would have landed better?

maybe they were really Bo Ryan on Rt 41?

Now that's a POV we can all get behind.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #497 on: October 19, 2017, 12:26:07 PM »
The third base umpire, Cooper, overrules a strike call made by the homeplate umpire, and calls what should have been a third strike a foul ball.  Something that I have never seen before.  Then he refuses to look at the replay which clearly showed that the ball was not touched by the bat.  Although he was not obliged to look at the replay, since he already bent the rules by making the call, what's the harm in setting the record straight and taking a peek?  Fortunately, Wade Davis made the whole thing moot by striking Granderson out with the next pitch.  Nonetheless, I think that Cooper should have some kind of ass-kicking.

If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #498 on: May 23, 2018, 09:18:13 PM »
HOW in the fuck do you let Jason Heyward face Andrew Miller with Almora and Zobrist on the bench
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #499 on: May 23, 2018, 11:18:34 PM »
Quote from: SKO on May 23, 2018, 09:18:13 PM
HOW in the fuck do you let Jason Heyward face Andrew Miller with Almora and Zobrist on the bench

His loyalty to Heyward led him to compound this mistake by not flip-flopping Edwards into his spot afterward.  Almora was going to lead off the 8th against Miller anyway, and when Cleveland's leadoff hitter hit a flare that Happ let drop, it struck me as stupid that Almora wasn't already out there (Edwards pitched around that and another single but the point remains).   Managers friggin' love to flip-flop, even when they don't have to—and Joe really didn't have to there because he likely wasn't  planning on Edwards going 2 innings anyway, but Joe is chief among the needless flip-flop practitioners as it is; it's  almost as if he went out of his way *not* to flip-flop there. 

The same guy who demoted Starlin Castro and then managed him to great things won't do the same with Heyward, who it would seem would be easier to manage through this as he seems more mature than Castro.  If it's any consolation I think that day is approaching soon, but dang it's frustrating to have to watch it play out. 
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #500 on: May 24, 2018, 01:09:43 PM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on May 23, 2018, 11:18:34 PM

His loyalty to Heyward led him to compound this mistake by not flip-flopping Edwards into his spot afterward.  Almora was going to lead off the 8th against Miller anyway, and when Cleveland's leadoff hitter hit a flare that Happ let drop, it struck me as stupid that Almora wasn't already out there (Edwards pitched around that and another single but the point remains).   Managers friggin' love to flip-flop, even when they don't have to—and Joe really didn't have to there because he likely wasn't  planning on Edwards going 2 innings anyway, but Joe is chief among the needless flip-flop practitioners as it is; it's  almost as if he went out of his way *not* to flip-flop there. 

The same guy who demoted Starlin Castro and then managed him to great things won't do the same with Heyward, who it would seem would be easier to manage through this as he seems more mature than Castro.  If it's any consolation I think that day is approaching soon, but dang it's frustrating to have to watch it play out.

Last year he left Heyward in to face Tony Watson late in a game when Almora was available and they lost, then later that season he let Heyward face Felipe Vazquez (Felipe Romero at the time) in a 1 run game in the 9th. The faith he shows in Heyward is utterly baffling, and considering the division race is probably going to be closer this year than it was in either of the previous two years giving Heyward the chance to embarrass himself in hope that it pays off down the road vs trying to win the fucking game is more grating than ever.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #501 on: May 24, 2018, 02:13:35 PM »
Quote from: SKO on May 24, 2018, 01:09:43 PM

Last year he left Heyward in to face Tony Watson late in a game when Almora was available and they lost, then later that season he let Heyward face Felipe Vazquez (Felipe Romero at the time) in a 1 run game in the 9th. The faith he shows in Heyward is utterly baffling, and considering the division race is probably going to be closer this year than it was in either of the previous two years giving Heyward the chance to embarrass himself in hope that it pays off down the road vs trying to win the fucking game is more grating than ever.

I'm glad you guys are able to find common ground...no one mention Addison Russell.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #502 on: May 24, 2018, 02:17:09 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on May 24, 2018, 02:13:35 PM

I'm glad you guys are able to find common ground...no one mention Addison Russell.

The guy whose OPS is now lower than it was as a rookie?

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #503 on: May 24, 2018, 02:57:23 PM »
Quote from: SKO on May 24, 2018, 02:17:09 PM

In the fantasy world where the Cubs can get Machado without giving up Russell or Happ, and Maddon finally gives up on Heyward, Machado would basically replace Heyward in the everyday lineup. Machado at 3B and Bryant in RF.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #504 on: May 24, 2018, 04:19:36 PM »
Quote from: R-V on May 24, 2018, 02:57:23 PM

In the fantasy world where the Cubs can get Machado without giving up Russell or Happ, and Maddon finally gives up on Heyward, Machado would basically replace Heyward in the everyday lineup. Machado at 3B and Bryant in RF.

Baltimore doesn't make a deal without Russell. Who else would get thrown in would depend on who else is in the bidding...the D-Backs falling back to the pack means the Dodgers might be back in if they can throw enough prospects at the Os to get them to eat some of Machado's salary.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #505 on: May 24, 2018, 04:21:57 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on May 24, 2018, 04:19:36 PMBaltimore doesn't make a deal without Russell.

That settles it, Russell's out of the deal.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #506 on: May 24, 2018, 09:45:28 PM »
Quote from: R-V on May 24, 2018, 04:21:57 PM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on May 24, 2018, 04:19:36 PMBaltimore doesn't make a deal without Russell.

That settles it, Russell's out of the deal.

Cubs get:
Manny Machado

Orioles get:
Jason Heyward
David Ross
Manny Alexander
Chili Davis
Joe’s RV
Jerry Hairston
Mike Fontenot
Todd Ricketts

Please RT
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #507 on: May 25, 2018, 08:45:52 AM »

You're fucking special.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #508 on: May 25, 2018, 11:18:48 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on May 25, 2018, 08:45:52 AM

You're fucking special.

well the guy with a 90 OPS+ in 1675 major league plate appearances isn't

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #509 on: May 25, 2018, 03:19:18 PM »
dude fuckin loves bunts