News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Jon Lester Jacking It Lefty Splooge Thread  ( 34,956 )

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Jon Lester Jacking It Lefty Splooge Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 10:44:15 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on June 03, 2015, 09:34:27 AM
Pre-emptive motivational joo-joo push for Our guy Jon tonight.

Intrepid Reader: Joo-Joo Gods

*Temptation Intensifies*

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2015, 12:57:15 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on June 03, 2015, 10:44:15 AM

*Temptation Intensifies*

Funny, you don't look Joo-Jooish.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2015, 06:50:51 PM »

*Temptation Intensifies*

Huey, you asshole
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2015, 08:08:40 PM »
Quote from: SKO on June 03, 2015, 06:50:51 PM

*Temptation Intensifies*

Huey, you asshole

Serves me right.  Damnit, Jon.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2015, 08:03:13 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on June 03, 2015, 08:08:40 PM
Quote from: SKO on June 03, 2015, 06:50:51 PM

*Temptation Intensifies*

Huey, you asshole

Serves me right.  Damnit, Jon.

Sorry.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2015, 09:29:12 PM »
Great. The stupid mick busted Lester forever. This is why we can't have nice things
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2015, 09:16:11 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 09, 2015, 09:29:12 PM
Great. The stupid mick busted Lester forever. This is why we can't have nice things

I love advanced stats almost as much as ketchup, but if I see one more person cite Lester's dazzling FIP or xFIP while telling me to CALM DOWN HE'LL BE FINE I will...do nothing, I guess. I'm sure he will be fine but you can't really chalk these starts up to horrible luck - he's given up plenty of hard hit balls.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2015, 09:18:42 AM »
Quote from: R-V on June 10, 2015, 09:16:11 AM

I love advanced stats almost as much as ketchup, but if I see one more person cite Lester's dazzling FIP or xFIP while telling me to CALM DOWN HE'LL BE FINE I will...do nothing, I guess. I'm sure he will be fine but you can't really chalk these starts up to horrible luck - he's given up plenty of hard hit balls.

It's annoying.

But if this team picks him up again (they won 3 out of 4 after he failed to put away the Miami Series) by winning tonight and coming home with a 5-4 road trip, and if Lester is nails in September, then we can forgive him for his current tub-shitting.  Definitely annoying, though.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2015, 09:20:22 AM »

Yeah I get the logic behind FIP and xFIP and why they are generally good predictors of long term success, but I feel like saying a guy isn't pitching bad unless he's walking guys and giving home runs up is misleading. If he's throwing meatballs he's throwing meatballs whether they leave the yard or not. I'm not worried because I don't think he's hurt and his velocity is fine and so I'm still sticking with the track record of success, but I agree that Lester's FIP and Chris Coghlan's BABIP have become the greatest examples of using advanced stats in a really fucking annoying and overly simplistic manner this year.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2015, 09:37:19 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 10, 2015, 09:20:22 AM

Yeah I get the logic behind FIP and xFIP and why they are generally good predictors of long term success, but I feel like saying a guy isn't pitching bad unless he's walking guys and giving home runs up is misleading. If he's throwing meatballs he's throwing meatballs whether they leave the yard or not. I'm not worried because I don't think he's hurt and his velocity is fine and so I'm still sticking with the track record of success, but I agree that Lester's FIP and Chris Coghlan's BABIP have become the greatest examples of using advanced stats in a really fucking annoying and overly simplistic manner this year.

That's just it. Those stats are nice when you're trying to find players maybe somewhat cheaper than they otherwise would be - but bad luck can last an entire year, or most of one. It doesn't do a thing for here and now.

He's had a rough patch. I'm pretty confident he'll turn it around but right now it's pretty annoying when your ace gets battered coming off a really nice series in Washington. The Cubs are in a spot where a prolonged winning streak would do wonders for their playoff hopes. Can't have your #1 going out and taking the team out of a game before they have had a chance to settle in.

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2015, 10:12:23 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on June 10, 2015, 09:37:19 AM
Quote from: SKO on June 10, 2015, 09:20:22 AM

That's just it. Those stats are nice when you're trying to find players maybe somewhat cheaper than they otherwise would be - but bad luck can last an entire year, or most of one. It doesn't do a thing for here and now.

He's had a rough patch. I'm pretty confident he'll turn it around but right now it's pretty annoying when your ace gets battered coming off a really nice series in Washington. The Cubs are in a spot where a prolonged winning streak would do wonders for their playoff hopes. Can't have your #1 going out and taking the team out of a game before they have had a chance to settle in.

Yesterday you can chalk up a bit to Detroit being a team that can hit anyone in baseball.

I'm still far more annoyed by the 3 runs he gave up in the 2nd against the bottom of the order of an awful Marlins team.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2015, 05:29:40 PM »
Max Scherzer just threw a no-hitter (after hitting Jose Tabata with two outs in the ninth to lose a perfect game).

Nice choice, Jim.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2015, 05:35:52 PM »
Quote from: Shooter on June 20, 2015, 05:29:40 PM
Max Scherzer just threw a no-hitter (after hitting Jose Tabata with two outs in the ninth to lose a perfect game).

Nice choice, Jim.

Tabata leaned into it, too, and the Nats' announcers (who I find annoying anyway) were quite butthurt about it.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2015, 02:10:03 PM »
Quote from: Shooter on June 20, 2015, 05:29:40 PM

Nice choice, Jim.

At what point does Lester's inability to hold runners, his 4+ ERA, and two years of David Ross cause us to question whether Theo's loyalty to former Red Sox clouds his judgment, given that Cy Scherzer could've been had?
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2015, 02:17:30 PM »
At the very least Lester should have to throw to Montero for the next couple starts, since he seems to need the fucking run support lately.