News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Starlin Castro Farewell Tour?  ( 16,262 )

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
The Starlin Castro Farewell Tour?
« on: August 11, 2015, 09:09:37 AM »
So how does it end for our former beloved phenom shortstop?

Len Kasper mentioned, this morning on the SCORE, the words "platoon" and "shortstop" in the same sentence and I would just like to go on the record that I find that to be a horrible idea.  Addison's the man--no equivocation.  Shortstop's too important to platoon if you can avoid it. At this point, I couldn't give two fucks about how Starlin feels about playing second base but if he's starting any games down the stretch, I'd prefer he play there vs. lefties to see what he can do.  If he can't perform better than J. Herrera than I'm really confused about this kid. Either way, at the current rate second base looks like it'll be Baez and La Stella in September anyway, with Coghlan settling in to what will hopefully be a productive pinch-hitting role down the stretch and beyond, so then what?

I guess besides sitting on the bench wearing Herrera's hand-me-down Gum Bucket, Castro can come up 15 or 20 times to pinch-hit.  Maybe he'll win a game or two, and they decide to keep him on the roster and he does it again a few times in the playoffs.  Of course, if this were to play out he'd have probably worked himself back into where he could definitely be trusted to spell Addison (as opposed to platooning with him) the 4 or so more times that Russell will probably need a day off down the stretch.

Short of that, I'm not sure what to expect for here on out.  Does he clear waivers?  Do the Cubs still trade him if he does? Definitely interesting, when you consider his arc, how he started...speaking for myself, no matter how it ends, I'm pretty sure I won't have hard feelings towards him, despite the frustration.  Dude was the only thing that mattered in the Dark Ages and I always feel an appreciation for guys who were there in the beginning of an ascent but not at the ascension (*cough* Sam Vincent, Charles Oakley *cough* Robert Lang Craig Adams *cough*).

Discuss, jerks.

Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Starlin Castro Farewell Tour?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 09:21:22 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on August 11, 2015, 09:09:37 AM

Len Kasper mentioned, this morning on the SCORE the words "platoon" and "shortstop" in the same sentence and I would just like to go on the record that I find that to be a horrible idea.  Addison's the man--no equivocation.  Shortstop's too important to platoon if you can avoid it. At this point, I couldn't give two fucks about how Starlin feels about playing second base but if he's starting any games down the stretch, I'd prefer he play there vs. lefties to see what he can do.  If he can't perform better than J. Herrera than I'm really confused about this kid. Either way, at the current rate second base looks like it'll be Baez and La Stella in September anyway, with Coghlan settling in to what will hopefully be a productive pinch-hitting role down the stretch and beyond, so then what?

I guess besides sitting on the bench wearing Herrera's hand-me-down Gum Bucket, Castro can come up 15 or 20 times to pinch-hit,  maybe wins a game or two, and they decide to keep him on the roster and he does it again a few times in the playoffs (if if this were to play out he'd have probably worked himself back into where he could definitely be trusted to spell Addison (as opposed to platooning with him) the 4 or so more times that Russell will probably need a day off down the stretch).

Short of that, I'm not sure what to expect for here on out.  Does he clear waivers?  Do the Cubs still trade him if he does? Definitely interesting, when you consider his arc, how he started...speaking for myself, no matter how it ends, I'm pretty sure I won't have hard feelings towards him, despite the frustration.  Dude was the only thing that mattered in the Dark Ages and I always feel an appreciation for guys who were there in the beginning of an ascent but not at the ascension (*cough* Sam Vincent, Charles Oakley *cough* Robert Lang Craig Adams *cough*).

Discuss, jerks.

Periods, Mike.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 09:22:48 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on August 11, 2015, 09:21:22 AM

Len Kasper mentioned, this morning on the SCORE the words "platoon" and "shortstop" in the same sentence and I would just like to go on the record that I find that to be a horrible idea.  Addison's the man--no equivocation.  Shortstop's too important to platoon if you can avoid it. At this point, I couldn't give two fucks about how Starlin feels about playing second base but if he's starting any games down the stretch, I'd prefer he play there vs. lefties to see what he can do.  If he can't perform better than J. Herrera than I'm really confused about this kid. Either way, at the current rate second base looks like it'll be Baez and La Stella in September anyway, with Coghlan settling in to what will hopefully be a productive pinch-hitting role down the stretch and beyond, so then what?

I guess besides sitting on the bench wearing Herrera's hand-me-down Gum Bucket, Castro can come up 15 or 20 times to pinch-hit,  maybe wins a game or two, and they decide to keep him on the roster and he does it again a few times in the playoffs (if if this were to play out he'd have probably worked himself back into where he could definitely be trusted to spell Addison (as opposed to platooning with him) the 4 or so more times that Russell will probably need a day off down the stretch).

Short of that, I'm not sure what to expect for here on out.  Does he clear waivers?  Do the Cubs still trade him if he does? Definitely interesting, when you consider his arc, how he started...speaking for myself, no matter how it ends, I'm pretty sure I won't have hard feelings towards him, despite the frustration.  Dude was the only thing that mattered in the Dark Ages and I always feel an appreciation for guys who were there in the beginning of an ascent but not at the ascension (*cough* Sam Vincent, Charles Oakley *cough* Robert Lang Craig Adams *cough*)

Discuss, jerks.

Periods, Mike.

Epochs.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 09:27:23 AM »
I fixed it so maybe now we can talk about Castro instead of PANK.  Go.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 09:32:24 AM »
I can't see the logic in platooning Addison and Castro at all. Sure, Addison's numbers vs lefties aren't great (.472) OPS but he's a rookie and 72 plate appearances is hardly enough of a sample to assume he needs to be platooned. Plus Starlin has a .583 OPS vs lefties this year. That's not really worth pulling Addison for.

I hope Castro can deliver some big pinch hits, I guess, but I mostly hope Javy comes up and rakes and we can all just move on. I'm pretty sure going somewhere else is best for Starlin anyway.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 09:37:05 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 11, 2015, 09:32:24 AM
I can't see the logic in platooning Addison and Castro at all. Sure, Addison's numbers vs lefties aren't great (.472) OPS but he's a rookie and 72 plate appearances is hardly enough of a sample to assume he needs to be platooned. Plus Starlin has a .583 OPS vs lefties this year. That's not really worth pulling Addison for.

I hope Castro can deliver some big pinch hits, I guess, but I mostly hope Javy comes up and rakes and we can all just move on. I'm pretty sure going somewhere else is best for Starlin anyway.

I thought a Castro/Utley waiver deal might be a good idea, because for some reason I thought his contract was up this year.

But he has 3 more years at 15/per. Woof.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 09:37:16 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on August 11, 2015, 09:27:23 AM
I fixed it so maybe now we can talk about Castro instead of PANK.  Go.

Nice work.

I feel terrible about what's happening to my favorite player. It's really the only downer I can see during this season so far. One thing I've always heard about Joe Maddon is that he finds a role for players and by and large they accept it. Castro may be feeling like his three good seasons outweigh his current shitburger of a 2015 and that he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

My true hope is that while he's in purgatory, Starlin finds his way back to the swing and approach that made him such a useful Major League player. And when and if his number is called down the stretch, be it for sub duties or replacing an injured starter longterm, he gets back to respectability.

But even that will only make him more tradeable come winter. So I'm stuck looking back at my favorite player's tenure with my favorite team with very little to show for it. Even Cutler got us to the precipice before jack fucking his knee in the most Jay Cutler moment that could ever possibly be.

Starlin gave us a pretty cool commercial replaying a walk-off single past a drawn-in infield in a game I attended. I've paused that commercial and pointed to my bright blue jersey in the seats a couple times now to my lady's consternation.

So there's that.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 09:38:35 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on August 11, 2015, 09:37:05 AM
Quote from: SKO on August 11, 2015, 09:32:24 AM

I thought a Castro/Utley waiver deal might be a good idea, because for some reason I thought his contract was up this year.

But he has 3 more years at 15/per. Woof.

The Phillies ate a lot of cash to get better prospects from the Rangers. They don't appear to be lacking financial resources. They might eat a good chunk of that to get an actual prospect from the Cubs, maybe. But I'm not really sure I want Utley. In fact I'm pretty sure I don't.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 09:39:27 AM »
Does he clear waivers?  

Yes.

Do the Cubs still trade him if he does?

They'd love to. It's increasingly likely they are going to eat the bulk of his contract in any deal.

Here's a mind game: Trade Castro for Shields straight up. Here's the salaries.

2015      2016    2017      2018      2019   2020
Castro   $6.86     $7.86     $9.86    $10.86    $11.86    $1.00
Shields $10.00    $21.00    $21.00    $21.00    $2.00    

You could get Shields for $26.7mm more than Castro costs.  SD gets salary relief of that same $26.7mm and they get a 25 year old guy who used to be pretty good.

Or, do you save your power for Price in the offseason knowing you'd probably have to eat more of Castro's deal?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 09:44:07 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 11, 2015, 09:39:27 AM
Does he clear waivers?  

Yes.

They'd love to. It's increasingly likely they are going to eat the bulk of his contract in any deal.

You could get Shields for $26.7mm more than Castro costs.  SD gets salary relief of that same $26.7mm and they get a 25 year old guy who used to be pretty good.

Or, do you save your power for Price in the offseason knowing you'd probably have to eat more of Castro's deal?

I would much rather eat Castro's salary and have him on the bench or hope he rebuilds his value in whatever opportunities he gets next year rather than take on 35-37 year old James Shields.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 09:44:47 AM »
Does he clear waivers?  

Yes.

I think I'd rather just flat-out DFA Castro than take on Shields' entire contract.

ETA: SKO beat me to it, apparently.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 09:47:24 AM »

I'll admit it...I chuckled.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 09:48:35 AM »
Quote from: Eli on August 11, 2015, 09:44:47 AM
Does he clear waivers?  

Yes.

I think I'd rather just flat-out DFA Castro than take on Shields' entire contract.

I'm in agreement.  But essentially $9mm/year for three years of Shields isn't a bad thing.  Frankly, I'd do both (Shields and Price) with Ricketts' money.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 09:49:52 AM »
Seriously though, Castro is making less than 7 million next year. That should in no way inhibit the Cubs from making whatever FA moves they want to make, so if the only options are DFA'ing him, or taking on an even worse contract just to get rid of him, why do it? He's worth a 7 million dollar gamble that he'll bounce back somewhat next year.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 09:51:11 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 11, 2015, 09:48:35 AM
Quote from: Eli on August 11, 2015, 09:44:47 AM
Does he clear waivers?  

Yes.

I'm in agreement.  But essentially $9mm/year for three years of Shields isn't a bad thing.  Frankly, I'd do both (Shields and Price) with Ricketts' money.

If we think the Cubs are going to get David Price or whomever, then Shields would be taking Hendricks spot in the rotation. I am not the world's biggest believer in Kyle Hendricks but I am more than willing to be that he will either be A) Better than Shields over the next three years or B)Be similarly valuable while being a hell of a lot cheaper.

Taking on James Shields makes no sense under any circumstance.