News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Ball Four  ( 1,989 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Ball Four
« on: September 09, 2015, 12:55:58 PM »
Haven't read this one in years, time for a re-read.

Especially after Chuck Chucking Baez's at bat against Chapman, it reminded me of Jim Bouton's stories about scouting meetings, especially Gary Bell's scouting report for every hitter being, "Smoke 'em inside", and a report on one hitter saying that Koufax got him out on letter-high fastballs, and Bouton's remark "which is fine if you can throw letter high fastballs like Koufax."

If you've never read it, shame on you.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Ball Four
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 03:03:23 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on September 09, 2015, 12:55:58 PM
Haven't read this one in years, time for a re-read.

Especially after Chuck Chucking Baez's at bat against Chapman, it reminded me of Jim Bouton's stories about scouting meetings, especially Gary Bell's scouting report for every hitter being, "Smoke 'em inside", and a report on one hitter saying that Koufax got him out on letter-high fastballs, and Bouton's remark "which is fine if you can throw letter high fastballs like Koufax."

If you've never read it, shame on you.

Dad gave me his (signed) copy when I was 10, I've also been re-reading it lately. As a kid I found it funny, but the older I get and the more of the dirty jokes I understand I laugh so hard I cry at some points.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Ball Four
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 04:38:23 AM »
I also have a signed copy, although I didn't realise it was signed when I bought it.  I've read it four or five times in fifteen years and I even caught my old man, who knows nothing and cares less about any sport, let alone baseball, picking it up and chuckling his way through it.  I look forward, one of these days, to sharing it with HTonk: truly, one of my very, very favourite books.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.