News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Feeding the Monster  ( 2,307 )

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Feeding the Monster
« on: October 07, 2015, 11:44:18 AM »
Pretty decent read if you want some interesting nuggets about The Rise of Theo Epstein, such as his baseball operations department building their own defensive metrics because they didn't trust any of the information that was already available. A lot of time is spent on Red Sox history, and the sale of the team to the John Henry group, that I could have done without. My biggest takeaways:

- Larry Lucchino is an egomaniacal asshole and I can see why Theo temporarily quit in 2005 and eventually left for good to come to the Cubs. Say what you will about Ricketts and Kenney but you never see them mouthing off to the papers about baseball operations the way Lucchino did - the guy basically single-handedly torpedoed the deal Theo had in place to acquire A-Rod from the Rangers.

- Kevin Millar and Curt Schilling are enormous tools. You already knew that but the book confirms it.

- I'm really looking forward to Mooney's (it's gotta be him right?) inevitable behind the scenes book about the construction/development of this Cubs team.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Feeding the Monster
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 12:50:15 PM »
From your Amazon link (Publishers Weekly):

There is enough inside stuff here to send the average Red Sox fan into baseball ecstasy—and put the rest of the baseball world into a coma.

Sounds great. What's the timeline of the book - does it stop with Theo's departure, or earlier, or later?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Feeding the Monster
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 01:25:05 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 07, 2015, 12:50:15 PM
From your Amazon link (Publishers Weekly):

There is enough inside stuff here to send the average Red Sox fan into baseball ecstasy—and put the rest of the baseball world into a coma.

Sounds great. What's the timeline of the book - does it stop with Theo's departure, or earlier, or later?

It starts with the sale of the team to the John Henry ownership group in 2001/2002 and ends when Theo comes back to the team prior to the 2006 season.