News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Steve Jobs  ( 1,899 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Steve Jobs
« on: October 19, 2015, 02:52:20 PM »
If the figure at the center of this film was a fictionalized version of a Silicon Valley visionary it might have been an excellent film. But since Steve Jobs actually existed, it's held to a different standard, and Steve Jobs According to Aaron Sorkin is very frustrating and irritating for anyone who's familiar with Steve's history. While it's true that the antagonism the movie is obsessed with could be found in Steve's interactions with employees, it completely skips the loyalty he inspired, the brilliance of design and ambition that took place within Apple, Jobs' acceptance of Lisa and the fact she had lived under his roof long before the reunion depicted in the film, and the changes in his personality and attitude that took place after marrying Laurene. (In the film he is portrayed as a dickhead bachelor completely ignorant of parenting as late as 1998 even though he spent the majority of that decade married with young kids.) The diabolical scheme to keep NeXT a failing entity to eventually make Apple buy NeXTStep never happened, Pixar (the sale of which to Disney made him a billionaire - the film is credit Apple alone for that) is never mentioned, and the much-emphasized arguments with Woz about recognizing the Apple ][ team never happened either - Woz had already left such active roles behind.

As a movie, it's fine, compelling, and troubling even despite the unbelievable reconciliation at the end. As a biopic, it does a worse job than Ashton Kutcher's "Jobs," which is saying something.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Steve Jobs
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 04:16:48 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 19, 2015, 02:52:20 PM
If the figure at the center of this film was a fictionalized version of a Silicon Valley visionary it might have been an excellent film. But since Steve Jobs actually existed, it's held to a different standard, and Steve Jobs According to Aaron Sorkin is very frustrating and irritating for anyone who's familiar with Steve's history. While it's true that the antagonism the movie is obsessed with could be found in Steve's interactions with employees, it completely skips the loyalty he inspired, the brilliance of design and ambition that took place within Apple, Jobs' acceptance of Lisa and the fact she had lived under his roof long before the reunion depicted in the film, and the changes in his personality and attitude that took place after marrying Laurene. (In the film he is portrayed as a dickhead bachelor completely ignorant of parenting as late as 1998 even though he spent the majority of that decade married with young kids.) The diabolical scheme to keep NeXT a failing entity to eventually make Apple buy NeXTStep never happened, Pixar (the sale of which to Disney made him a billionaire - the film is credit Apple alone for that) is never mentioned, and the much-emphasized arguments with Woz about recognizing the Apple ][ team never happened either - Woz had already left such active roles behind.

As a movie, it's fine, compelling, and troubling even despite the unbelievable reconciliation at the end. As a biopic, it does a worse job than Ashton Kutcher's "Jobs," which is saying something.

Did you know Steve Jobs?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 02:01:30 AM »
Quote from: R-V on October 19, 2015, 04:16:48 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 19, 2015, 02:52:20 PM

Did you know Steve Jobs?

No, but I read a lot of reactions from people who did, and I'm quite comfortable listening to them instead of Aaron Sorkin.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 03:23:20 AM »
That sound you can hear is me furiously not giving a flying fuck about Steve Jobs, and steering well clear of any information about his life, other than what I couldn't already avoid.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 07:08:29 AM »
In the past few years, I've read a lot of biographies on tech giants, including Jobs. I think he was a fascinating person, and, as I also enjoy pretty much everything Sorkin has written, I'll be watching this.
M'lady.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 08:34:08 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on October 20, 2015, 07:08:29 AM
In the past few years, I've read a lot of biographies on tech giants, including Jobs. I think he was a fascinating person, and, as I also enjoy pretty much everything Sorkin has written, I'll be watching this.

Even The Newsroom?

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 09:11:02 AM »
Quote from: CT III on October 20, 2015, 08:34:08 AM

Even The Newsroom?

Yes, God help me.
M'lady.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 09:13:28 AM »

Even The Newsroom?

Even the Newsroom?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 09:48:58 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on October 20, 2015, 09:11:02 AM

Even The Newsroom?

Yes, God help me.

God love the Strawman of news 18 months in the past

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 09:51:16 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on October 20, 2015, 09:48:58 AM
Quote from: Canadouche on October 20, 2015, 09:11:02 AM

Even The Newsroom?

Yes, God help me.

God love the Strawman of news 18 months in the past

Christ, how many times has that one scene with the guy from Dumb & Dumber ranting about how America is no longer great been shared on Facebook?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 12:26:34 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on October 20, 2015, 03:23:20 AM
That sound you can hear is me furiously not giving a flying fuck about Steve Jobs, and steering well clear of any information about his life, other than what I couldn't already avoid.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 05:49:47 PM »
Quote from: Bort on October 20, 2015, 12:26:34 PM
Quote from: Tonker on October 20, 2015, 03:23:20 AM
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen