News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The "Jason Heyward Drinks Delicious Cardinal Tears" Sploogetime Thread  ( 39,964 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The "Jason Heyward Drinks Delicious Cardinal Tears" Sploogetime Thread
« Reply #135 on: June 29, 2016, 10:15:05 AM »
Quote from: CT III on June 29, 2016, 10:01:50 AM
Quote from: Eli on June 29, 2016, 09:45:55 AM
Quote from: SKO on June 29, 2016, 08:25:52 AM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on June 29, 2016, 08:20:33 AM
Quote from: SKO on June 29, 2016, 08:04:30 AM
Kris Bryant had 5 extra base hits Monday night, and Jason Heyward has 5 in his last 19 games (none in his last seven)

To be fair, nobody expected Heyward to match Bryant's offensive output.

Heyward has been offensively putrid all season, but at some point he's got to correct himself, right? There's nothing in his career to indicate he'll remain this horrible.

And as long as the Cubs are banged up, there aren't really a whole lot of other options in the 2 spot. Even Zobrist hasn't been doing a whole lot of hitting lately, last night's HR notwithstanding.

You would think that, but his career numbers indicated he would usually correct himself by now. June is one of his best months, and yet he's been even worse in the second half of this month than he's been all year. I'm starting to think that "sore wrist" was more than they let on and it's sapped him of all of his power.

I don't think he'll be this bad forever. But I think he might be this bad for the rest of the year because whatever is bugging him (minor injury, trouble adjusting, mechanical problem) is going to be tough to fix before the offseason.

My thought has been it's a nagging injury that's not so terrible he can't play, and with the rest of the OFers dropping like flies he's gutting it out.  Ideally if they maintain the large lead in the division maybe he'd be able to do a DL stint when Soler and Fowler get back, since they've got insurance (HA!) in the form of Coghlan.

I think there's been some speculation about his wrist, which is obviously a huge problem for any hitter.

My main point is it wouldn't surprise me a bit if he muddles through a mundane 2.5-win season in 2016 and goes back to being a 6-win player next year.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #136 on: June 29, 2016, 10:17:41 AM »
Quote from: Eli on June 29, 2016, 10:15:05 AM
Quote from: CT III on June 29, 2016, 10:01:50 AM
Quote from: Eli on June 29, 2016, 09:45:55 AM
Quote from: SKO on June 29, 2016, 08:25:52 AM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on June 29, 2016, 08:20:33 AM
Quote from: SKO on June 29, 2016, 08:04:30 AM
Kris Bryant had 5 extra base hits Monday night, and Jason Heyward has 5 in his last 19 games (none in his last seven)

To be fair, nobody expected Heyward to match Bryant's offensive output.

Heyward has been offensively putrid all season, but at some point he's got to correct himself, right? There's nothing in his career to indicate he'll remain this horrible.

And as long as the Cubs are banged up, there aren't really a whole lot of other options in the 2 spot. Even Zobrist hasn't been doing a whole lot of hitting lately, last night's HR notwithstanding.

You would think that, but his career numbers indicated he would usually correct himself by now. June is one of his best months, and yet he's been even worse in the second half of this month than he's been all year. I'm starting to think that "sore wrist" was more than they let on and it's sapped him of all of his power.

I don't think he'll be this bad forever. But I think he might be this bad for the rest of the year because whatever is bugging him (minor injury, trouble adjusting, mechanical problem) is going to be tough to fix before the offseason.

My thought has been it's a nagging injury that's not so terrible he can't play, and with the rest of the OFers dropping like flies he's gutting it out.  Ideally if they maintain the large lead in the division maybe he'd be able to do a DL stint when Soler and Fowler get back, since they've got insurance (HA!) in the form of Coghlan.

I think there's been some speculation about his wrist, which is obviously a huge problem for any hitter.

My main point is it wouldn't surprise me a bit if he muddles through a mundane 2.5-win season in 2016 and goes back to being a 6-win player next year.

But I want 6 wins NOW

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #137 on: June 29, 2016, 10:27:29 AM »
I just want the worst hitter on the team to not be batting in the spot in the lineup where the advanced metrics say your best hitter should be batting. If he's hurt then he should know the Cubs aren't lacking in faith in him by moving him down, they're just appreciate that he's gutting it out but doing what's best for the team.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #140 on: July 07, 2016, 04:27:20 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 07, 2016, 12:03:11 PM
Quote from: PANK! on July 07, 2016, 11:49:21 AM
Well this didn't do much to pick up my spirits.

Fuck

So he just sucks now? I would think Theo would have seen these issues if they were there before signing him.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #141 on: July 07, 2016, 04:42:56 PM »
Quote from: Tony on July 07, 2016, 04:27:20 PM
Quote from: SKO on July 07, 2016, 12:03:11 PM
Quote from: PANK! on July 07, 2016, 11:49:21 AM
Well this didn't do much to pick up my spirits.

Fuck

So he just sucks now? I would think Theo would have seen these issues if they were there before signing him.

1. Invent an injury
2. Fix during "rehab" assignment then activate for playoffs
3. ...
4. Profit!
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #143 on: July 20, 2016, 08:01:37 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on July 10, 2016, 07:28:40 PM
hitting 6th seems to agree with him.

Not so much since the break. Also getting tired of the half of Cubs twitter that wants to give him a merit badge every time he hits a foul ball or a lineout pretty hard. It's July 20th. I don't want to hear about how his swing "sure seems to be coming around finally" when he's got one hit in his last six games.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #144 on: July 20, 2016, 08:24:42 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 20, 2016, 08:01:37 AM

Not so much since the break. Also getting tired of the half of Cubs twitter that wants to give him a merit badge every time he hits a foul ball or a lineout pretty hard. It's July 20th. I don't want to hear about how his swing "sure seems to be coming around finally" when he's got one hit in his last six games.

I would just like to say that the ONE TIME we could've used his patented, Juan-Pierre-Approved 4-3 rollout with a runner on second and nobody out in the 6th inning he instead fucking struck out and yeah I'm not in any mood to endear myself to the guy right now.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #145 on: July 20, 2016, 08:28:13 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 20, 2016, 08:24:42 AM

I would just like to say that the ONE TIME we could've used his patented, Juan-Pierre-Approved 4-3 rollout with a runner on second and nobody out in the 6th inning he instead fucking struck out and yeah I'm not in any mood to endear myself to the guy right now.

I mean I get people not wanting to shit all over him when he seems like a good guy and he's obviously not going anywhere so there's nothing to do but wait for him to hit, I just am tired of hearing "he's made some hard outs those will turn into hits soon" over and over and nothing ever comes of it. Just stop waiting for the breakout, it'll happen or it won't but I'm long past the point of thinking some well struck foul balls mean anything other than that his swing is still off. The man got a 200 million dollar deal, he doesn't need you to boost him with the Power of Positive Thinking.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #146 on: July 21, 2016, 01:42:51 PM »
Just hit like Cardinal Jason. That's all I ask. You don't have to be 2010 Rookie Jason or 2012 27 Homers Jason or anything like that. Just hit like Cardinal Jason and everything will be fine.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #147 on: July 21, 2016, 01:52:00 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 20, 2016, 08:28:13 AM
Quote from: PANK! on July 20, 2016, 08:24:42 AM

I mean I get people not wanting to shit all over him when he seems like a good guy and he's obviously not going anywhere so there's nothing to do but wait for him to hit, I just am tired of hearing "he's made some hard outs those will turn into hits soon" over and over and nothing ever comes of it. Just stop waiting for the breakout, it'll happen or it won't but I'm long past the point of thinking some well struck foul balls mean anything other than that his swing is still off. The man got a 200 million dollar deal, he doesn't need you to boost him with the Power of Positive Thinking.

His LD% is 22.3% (career high), but his soft contact is at it's second highest in his career (28.7%) and his hard contact is at it's lowest (24.1%). His swing is wonky...it makes me mad.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #148 on: July 23, 2016, 06:44:36 PM »
/thread

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club