News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: STAR WARS EPISODE 7: THE SPOILERS AWAKEN  ( 20,786 )

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: STAR WARS EPISODE 7: THE SPOILERS AWAKEN
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2015, 02:58:18 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on December 28, 2015, 01:44:20 PM
Quote from: Tony on December 28, 2015, 01:33:55 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on December 28, 2015, 10:04:55 AM
Didn't Enjoy:  
2. Phasma

Phasma should have been the stormtrooper to challenge Finn with the electric staff thing. That would have saved a useless character.

Didn't that guy die? They want to bring Phasma back in 8.

That's Tony's point. Bring her back for what? She's already as close to Jar Jar as this iteration has. I guess they could be forgiven if she has a worthwhile story arc stemming from her complete and utter uselessness in Ep. VII. Like she scrambles out of the trash compactor and away on a ship that takes her to a hideout in the far reaches of the galaxy - or so she thinks. After the capture of Kylo Ren by the resistance, she could be entrusted to bring him safely home to his mother (sans a hand natch). Oh, the adventures they'll have! What do you think?
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2015, 03:25:52 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on December 28, 2015, 02:58:18 PM
Didn't Enjoy:  
2. Phasma

Phasma should have been the stormtrooper to challenge Finn with the electric staff thing. That would have saved a useless character.

That's Tony's point. Bring her back for what? She's already as close to Jar Jar as this iteration has. I guess they could be forgiven if she has a worthwhile story arc stemming from her complete and utter uselessness in Ep. VII. Like she scrambles out of the trash compactor and away on a ship that takes her to a hideout in the far reaches of the galaxy - or so she thinks. After the capture of Kylo Ren by the resistance, she could be entrusted to bring him safely home to his mother (sans a hand natch). Oh, the adventures they'll have! What do you think?

Arc? Not everyone needs an arc. Poe didn't have an arc. Leia didn't have an arc. Chewie didn't have and arc.

Boba Fett didn't have an arc. He stood around and looked cool. Phasma is the newest version of Fett.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2015, 04:01:07 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on December 28, 2015, 03:25:52 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on December 28, 2015, 02:58:18 PM
Didn't Enjoy:  
2. Phasma

Arc? Not everyone needs an arc. Poe didn't have an arc. Leia didn't have an arc. Chewie didn't have and arc.

Boba Fett didn't have an arc. He stood around and looked cool. Phasma is the newest version of Fett.

Boba Fett didn't have an arc, but he was cool because he was mysterious. Phasma could have been a cool mysterious character, but not after she turned the shields off when they politely asked her to. Apex is right, that was the dumbest part of the movie. She put up no fight at all. There's no way to be cool after that. At least if she had fought Finn with the electric wand of death she would have done something cool. And she didn't have to die if they want to bring her back.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2015, 04:07:02 PM »
Phasma was the most disappointing part of the movie, I agree. I won't say there's "no way she can be cool again" because you give me Gwendoline Christie in badass looking armor doing badass looking shit in Episode VIII and I'll be more than willing to ignore the inconsistency with her being a pushover at the end of this one. I'm not that hard to please.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2015, 08:18:06 AM »
Quote from: SKO on December 29, 2015, 04:07:02 PM
Phasma was the most disappointing part of the movie, I agree. I won't say there's "no way she can be cool again" because you give me Gwendoline Christie in badass looking armor doing badass looking shit in Episode VIII and I'll be more than willing to ignore the inconsistency with her being a pushover at the end of this one. I'm not that hard to please.

That's the hope. But they'll have to take some real chances with the script in order fix this. Otherwise, they might as well kill her off in the first 45 minutes and admit they blew it. They took so precious few chances with the Ep. 7 script that I'm skeptical about what we'll get going forward. I know Rian Johnson or whatever is supposed to be some fucking wizard and we should all be so excited but this is Disney. They're aren't going to fling it across their body into traffic with this franchise's reputation on the line. This isn't some queer comic book series, man. This is the Super Bowl.

And that's really too bad because the prequels were so horrible that we'll settle for meh and actually boost it up like they SAVED OUR CHILDHOODS ZMOG!! And, fuck it, I admit it, I did it. I had a blast at that movie. I was thrilled to hear little kids in the theater as excited as I was to see it.

They could prove me wrong, of course, and I'll be as happy as two raccoons in a ten-pound sack of crap.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2015, 08:52:15 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on December 30, 2015, 08:18:06 AM

That's the hope. But they'll have to take some real chances with the script in order fix this. Otherwise, they might as well kill her off in the first 45 minutes and admit they blew it. They took so precious few chances with the Ep. 7 script that I'm skeptical about what we'll get going forward. I know Rian Johnson or whatever is supposed to be some fucking wizard and we should all be so excited but this is Disney. They're aren't going to fling it across their body into traffic with this franchise's reputation on the line. This isn't some queer comic book series, man. This is the Super Bowl.

And that's really too bad because the prequels were so horrible that we'll settle for meh and actually boost it up like they SAVED OUR CHILDHOODS ZMOG!! And, fuck it, I admit it, I did it. I had a blast at that movie. I was thrilled to hear little kids in the theater as excited as I was to see it.

They could prove me wrong, of course, and I'll be as happy as two raccoons in a ten-pound sack of crap.

All I have heard about the Episode VIII script is that it is "weird and brilliant". So we'll see.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2015, 10:01:58 AM »
Quote from: SKO on December 30, 2015, 08:52:15 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on December 30, 2015, 08:18:06 AM

All I have heard about the Episode VIII script is that it is "weird and brilliant". So we'll see.

I'd settle for one or the other but if it's both, my boner may never, ever subside.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2015, 05:54:19 PM »
I am probably the only one nerdy enough to read the Visual Dictionary for the movie along with the novels and comics that are bridging the gap between VI and VII,  so I thought I'd share what I've learned:

-After Endor the Empire split up pretty fast.  Palpatine had no succession plan, especially with Vader dead, too, so the Empire split into warlordism and got routed by the New Republic pretty quickly, culminating in the Battle of Jakku about a year after ROTJ (hence the star destroyer Rey scavenges). After they lost that battle they signed a peace treaty about 5 years after ROTJ. The New Republic rules probably about 60% of the galaxy, with the First Order (which slowly rose to take over what was left of the Empire) ruling about 25% and the rest being neutral.

-The First Order=Space Nazis and the peace treaty=Treaty of Versailles. New Republic=League of Nations. As the First Order started building new star destroyers and stuff in violation of the treaty, Leia tried to mobilize the Republic to do something but people were weary of war and underestimated the threat.

-Leia started the Resistance to operate within First Order space and be an insurgency. Some members of the Republic provide them funding and weapons but the Republic officially doesn't support them.

Any who,  cleared up a lot of my confusion, figured some of you may benefit from my nerdery

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2016, 06:21:46 PM »
Wait, there was that much handwringing over Phasma?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2016, 09:32:20 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on January 02, 2016, 06:21:46 PM

Boba Fett syndrome. She looked awesome and they got an awesome actress to play her so people very understandably expected her to be a badass with more than four lines.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2016, 09:50:10 AM »
Quote from: SKO on January 03, 2016, 09:32:20 AM

Boba Fett syndrome. She looked awesome and they got an awesome actress to play her so people very understandably expected her to be a badass with more than four lines.

In as much as I give a shit, I think SKO has about nailed it, here.  Now I'm going back to beer, sportz and boobs.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2016, 09:56:03 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on January 03, 2016, 09:50:10 AM

In as much as I give a shit, I think SKO has about nailed it, here.  Now I'm going back to beer, sportz and boobs.

Yep. Brilliant original idea.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2016, 10:39:33 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on January 03, 2016, 09:56:03 AM
Quote from: Tonker on January 03, 2016, 09:50:10 AM

Yep. Brilliant original idea.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure people have thought about beer, sportz and boobs before me.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2016, 07:17:08 PM »
Not sure how many viewings it will take me to not be heartbroken at the sight of Chewbacca sitting in Han's seat and flying the Falcon alone but so far three is not enough

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2016, 08:42:49 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 03, 2016, 07:17:08 PM
Not sure how many viewings it will take me to not be heartbroken at the sight of Chewbacca sitting in Han's seat and flying the Falcon alone but so far three is not enough

Agreed. Reading what you wrote, it just dawned upon me that Chewie must've cared considerably for Ben -- the Wookie would've been there when the Young Solo was born, and Chewbacca would've seen him reared up until the point that they sent Ben off to be trained by Luke. Ben would've been part of Chewie's family. And yet, without hesitation, Chewie tried to blast him off a freaking bridge.
M'lady.