News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Dennis Wilson?  ( 9,335 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Dennis Wilson?
« on: January 21, 2016, 08:48:35 AM »
Listening to a podcast called You Must Remember This. The host did a 12 part series on the Manson Family Murders and called it Charles Manson's Hollywood.

It's fascinating like not much I've listened to. I'm almost finished with the series but the fringe characters in the story have really grabbed my attention. For example, Manson's gross cult of what I assume were nasssssty girls affected so many people in pretty terrible ways - not many worse than Dennis Wilson. Dennis seemed like a pretty screwed up dude from the start but once he got mixed up with Manson, who thought he could use Wilson to get himself a recording contract.

Anyway, after Wilson disassociated himself from Manson and then found out what he had done it obviously ruined him more than he already was.

Curious to hear some of your thoughts on Dennis Wilson in general. Been thinking about giving Pacific Ocean Blue a listen considering the state he must have been in when he wrote it. I find it absolutely fascinating.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Dennis Wilson?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 09:58:58 AM »
Is Dennis Wilson the one who drowned in the early 80's?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 11:54:17 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on January 21, 2016, 09:58:58 AM

Yes.

Dennis was criminally underutilized by the Beach Boys in their prime. His voice wasn't as strong as Brian or Carl's, but it had a pleasant rasp to it.

Pacific Ocean Blue is one of the all time great cocaine albums. It feels like it was recorded by a man living at a marina who hasn't worn a shirt in at least three months and only leaves his boat to score more nose sugar or to get another case of Mexican beer.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 03:16:02 PM »
Quote from: Bort on January 21, 2016, 11:54:17 AM

Yes.

Dennis was criminally underutilized by the Beach Boys in their prime. His voice wasn't as strong as Brian or Carl's, but it had a pleasant rasp to it.

Pacific Ocean Blue is one of the all time great cocaine albums. It feels like it was recorded by a man living at a marina who hasn't worn a shirt in at least three months and only leaves his boat to score more nose sugar or to get another case of Mexican beer.

Yeah sounds about right. The podcast uses Album Tag Song as an intro and it's haunting. He was clearly a total fucking mess at this point in his life.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 06:21:00 PM »

Yes.

"Forever" is in my top 10 all-time Beach Boys songs.

But yeah, Dennis was as screwed up as Brian. But people didn't try saving him because he wasn't anybody's meal ticket.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 12:08:08 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on January 21, 2016, 06:21:00 PM

Yes.

But yeah, Dennis was as screwed up as Brian. But people didn't try saving him because he wasn't anybody's meal ticket.

"Forever" is a massively underrated Beach Boys song. So good.

Actually, I'd say the entire period between from after Smile imploded through the period in the mid-70s when Mike Love finally asserted full control is seriously underrated. Some weird, questionable, and outright terrible things in there, but they were still trying hard to actually be relevant and move forward with interesting music (even without Brian's input) for a while before Love turned them into a nostalgia museum piece.

You had Dennis and Carl both stepping up and finding their voices as songwriters, Al finally indulging his abiding love of Dylanesque folk, Bruce making the most treacly, vapid love songs in history, Mike being seriously weird about eagles and meditation, Brian releasing snippets of Smile brilliance, Blondie Chaplin joining and doing yeoman's work for a few albums, an album of blue eyed soul/funk, and an album (Love You) that started as a seriously cigarette and cocaine damaged solo Brian Wilson album later turned into a full band album, that is somehow the inadvertent blueprint for weird 80s outsider alternative musicians like They Might Be Giants and Daniel Johnston, etc. etc.

What I'm saying is that people that think they stopped being worth hearing after Good Vibrations are wronger than a roomful of Chucks with unlimited Internet access.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 09:03:28 AM »
Quote from: Bort on January 22, 2016, 12:08:08 AM

Yes.

Actually, I'd say the entire period between from after Smile imploded through the period in the mid-70s when Mike Love finally asserted full control is seriously underrated. Some weird, questionable, and outright terrible things in there, but they were still trying hard to actually be relevant and move forward with interesting music (even without Brian's input) for a while before Love turned them into a nostalgia museum piece.

You had Dennis and Carl both stepping up and finding their voices as songwriters, Al finally indulging his abiding love of Dylanesque folk, Bruce making the most treacly, vapid love songs in history, Mike being seriously weird about eagles and meditation, Brian releasing snippets of Smile brilliance, Blondie Chaplin joining and doing yeoman's work for a few albums, an album of blue eyed soul/funk, and an album (Love You) that started as a seriously cigarette and cocaine damaged solo Brian Wilson album later turned into a full band album, that is somehow the inadvertent blueprint for weird 80s outsider alternative musicians like They Might Be Giants and Daniel Johnston, etc. etc.

What I'm saying is that people that think they stopped being worth hearing after Good Vibrations are wronger than a roomful of Chucks with unlimited Internet access.

You should do a Podcast.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 04:24:14 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on January 22, 2016, 09:03:28 AM

Yes.

You should do a Podcast.

I'm recording one tonight.

But it's on an 80s animated movie, not the 70s Beach Boys. I have a brand to think of.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 09:20:46 PM »
Quote from: Bort on January 22, 2016, 04:24:14 PM

Yes.

You should do a Podcast.

But it's on an 80s animated movie, not the 70s Beach Boys. I have a brand to think of.

Cool World?

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 06:16:15 AM »
Quote from: CT III on January 22, 2016, 09:20:46 PM

Yes.

You should do a Podcast.

Cool World?

He said 80s, CT.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 08:06:16 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on January 23, 2016, 06:16:15 AM

Yes.

You should do a Podcast.

Cool World?

He said 80s, CT.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 10:56:45 AM »
Quote from: Bort on January 23, 2016, 08:06:16 AM

Yes.

You should do a Podcast.

Cool World?

He said 80s, CT.

Eh, the movies released in the early part of any decade are usually far more reflective of the previous one.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 11:01:23 AM »
Quote from: CT III on January 23, 2016, 10:56:45 AM

Yes.

You should do a Podcast.

Cool World?

He said 80s, CT.

Eh, the movies released in the early part of any decade are usually far more reflective of the previous one.

We have a hard, fast rule that our movies have to have been released between January 1, 1980 and December 31, 1989. There have been 5-6 movies I had to abandon because of it already.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2016, 11:40:58 AM »

Yes.

You should do a Podcast.

Cool World?

He said 80s, CT.

The man has a brand to think of!

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2016, 11:53:21 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on January 23, 2016, 11:40:58 AM

Yes.

You should do a Podcast.

Cool World?

He said 80s, CT.

The man has a brand to think of!

The very fact that he's actually recording something would indicate that he's totally abandoned his brand.