News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Totally Listenable  ( 15,134 )

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Totally Listenable
« on: January 21, 2016, 03:52:02 PM »
Between walking and the train, I've got about 2.5-3 hours of commuting every day.  During that time I like to listen to podcasts, and I while see names get dropped in various threads periodically, I figured we can use this one to aggregate.

Here's what I listen to regularly:

The Flophouse - Bad movie podcast
We Hate Movies - Also a bad movie podcast
How Did This Get Made - There are a lot of bad movie podcasts

The Adventure Zone - 3 brothers and their dad play Dungeons and Dragons with hilarious results

Hardcore History - Listened to the WWI series on Slak's recommendation, it was great. I'm now about halfway through the Spanish American War episode and it's very good as well.

The Star Wars Minute - Two guys and various guests watch the Star Wars movies minute by minute and record a podcast episode analyzing each minute. They did the entire original trilogy already so there's a big back catalog.  They're now about 45 minutes into Phantom Menace. The episodes are shorter (usually 20-30 minutes) than most but are released daily.

The James Bonding Podcast - Two guys named Matt watch and review all the James Bond movies.

A Match Made in Space - Bort can tell you about this one.

I Was There Too - Just started this one, but one of the Matts from James Bonding interviews actors who had very small parts in very big movies.

I'll definitely be checking out  You Must Remember This based on Slaky's post.  Anybody else got anything they like and listen to?

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Totally Listenable
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 04:32:27 PM »
I've been listening to Big Finish's Doctor Who audio dramas. They are surprisingly well done.
M'lady.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 04:36:32 PM »
Is there a podcast on how to find time to listen to podcasts? This is at least 80% non-sarcasm.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 05:02:45 PM »
Quote from: Eli on January 21, 2016, 04:36:32 PM
Is there a podcast on how to find time to listen to podcasts? This is at least 80% non-sarcasm.

Seriously.  All I listen to is This American Life and Criminal and I have at least 5 of each saved up taking up space on my phone.

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 05:03:09 PM »
Ever since I dropped the Walkman for a smartphone podcasts have been my commute time killer also.  Current list of active podcasts (aside from James Bonding and Match Made in Space) include:

The Nerdist :  While Chris Hardwick can become a bit much at times, his interviews are pretty interesting.

WTF with Mark Maron  I tend to listen when I like the person he is interviewing

The Hockeenight Podcast I am one of the 2 in 48 people who like this podcast

The Steve Dangle Podcast  Sure its Maple Leaf centric but its fun

Girl on Guy with Aisha Tyler Again when the interview subject is right

The Smoking Tire and Hooniverse both car related, a bit bro-tastic but generally interesting and often funny
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 09:11:19 PM »
What do Android users prefer for listening to podcasts? Obviously for Apple, there is iTunes, but it seems to be scattered for Android

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 09:12:40 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on January 21, 2016, 05:02:45 PM

Seriously.  All I listen to is This American Life and Criminal and I have at least 5 of each saved up taking up space on my phone.

Honestly, I don't listen to music very often. So when I'm on the train, walking to work, walking the dog or at the gym I'm usually listening to podcasts.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 10:20:38 PM »

Having a train commute is one of the best opportunities to do this.  I've read 1 book in the 17 months since I stopped taking the Metra to work everyday and it makes me sad.  At this juncture in my life it seems damn near impossible to read (and listen to podcasts, I suppose)--one of the very few things I miss about taking the train to work every day.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 10:50:47 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on January 21, 2016, 10:20:38 PM

Having a train commute is one of the best opportunities to do this.  I've read 1 book in the 17 months since I stopped taking the Metra to work everyday and it makes me sad.  At this juncture in my life it seems damn near impossible to read (and listen to podcasts, I suppose)--one of the very few things I miss about taking the train to work every day.

You don't miss me?
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 11:14:04 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on January 21, 2016, 09:11:19 PM
What do Android users prefer for listening to podcasts? Obviously for Apple, there is iTunes, but it seems to be scattered for Android

I use Podcast Addict.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 11:53:13 PM »
Quote from: CT III on January 21, 2016, 09:12:40 PM

Honestly, I don't listen to music very often. So when I'm on the train, walking to work, walking the dog or at the gym I'm usually listening to podcasts.

I listen to them when I'm doing things around the house that require little actual thought, like cooking or dishes.

Lately I've been mainlining My Brother, My Brother, and Me, the advice podcast done by the guys from the Adventure Zone (minus their dad).
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 01:28:53 AM »
What do Android users prefer for listening to podcasts? Obviously for Apple, there is iTunes Overcast, but it seems to be scattered for Android

iTunes doesn't even play podcasts on iOS, IDITO. It's the Apple Podcasts app which objectively sucks.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 07:33:54 AM »
I'd highly advise anyone with an interest in counterculture and Charles Manson to listen to the You Must Remember This series on him and his followers. I just finished and it's been lodged in my brain since I started listening - just thinking about the collateral from his arrival in LA makes my head spin. It's a story that seems too fucked up to be real.

I may dive into some back episodes to see if they're as captivating as this series - though I doubt they will be.

Comedy Bang Bang is the best comedy podcast going. It's weird but it's essentially some of our best comics making up characters and stuff for an hour to 90 minutes a couple times a week.

Steve Dangle is a gross, man-boy who should be locked up.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 07:44:49 AM »
Quote from: flannj on January 21, 2016, 10:50:47 PM
Quote from: PANK! on January 21, 2016, 10:20:38 PM

You don't miss me?

Only on those rare, godforsaken mornings when I had to catch a pre-6 AM inbound train.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2016, 08:44:02 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on January 22, 2016, 01:28:53 AM
What do Android users prefer for listening to podcasts? Obviously for Apple, there is iTunes Overcast, but it seems to be scattered for Android

iTunes doesn't even play podcasts on iOS, IDITO. It's the Apple Podcasts app which objectively sucks.

The one experience I've had searching for a podcast on my wife's phone was a positive one, so the app must be good