News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Totally Listenable  ( 15,136 )

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Totally Listenable
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2016, 09:05:57 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on January 22, 2016, 07:33:54 AM
Comedy Bang Bang is the best comedy podcast going. It's weird but it's essentially some of our best comics making up characters and stuff for an hour to 90 minutes a couple times a week.

Comedy Bang Bang is great. It's ridiculous and absurd.

Other than that I listen to WTF and Sound Opinions maybe a Terry Gross interview if it's someone I'm interested in. I can't decide if I like Judge John Hodgman or not.

Song Exploder is really good. They interview musicians about how they created a specific song piece by piece.

Quote from: Eli on January 21, 2016, 04:36:32 PM
Is there a podcast on how to find time to listen to podcasts? This is at least 80% non-sarcasm.

It takes me about a half hour to get to work, so I usually listen to the fist half of a podcast on the way to work, and finish it on the way home.

Quote from: Yeti on January 21, 2016, 09:11:19 PM
What do Android users prefer for listening to podcasts? Obviously for Apple, there is iTunes, but it seems to be scattered for Android

I use Stitcher for Android, but they don't have older episodes of some shows like Sound Opinions, so I just downloaded the NPR app so I can get to shows that are a few weeks old if I'm behind.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2016, 10:13:33 AM »
I've never listened to a Podcast in my life and I can't believe CT spends 3 hours commuting every day.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2016, 10:49:45 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 22, 2016, 10:13:33 AM
I've never listened to a Podcast in my life and I can't believe CT spends 3 hours commuting every day.

If you include travel time to and from the train station, waiting for the inbound train, and then travel time from the train station to work and back (and waiting for the outbound train), my commute was at minimum 2.5 hours, and that was while taking an express.  If I was on a milk run in both directions, it'd be three hours easy. 
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2016, 10:51:55 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on January 22, 2016, 10:49:45 AM

If you include travel time to and from the train station, waiting for the inbound train, and then travel time from the train station to work and back (and waiting for the outbound train), my commute was at minimum 2.5 hours, and that was while taking an express.  If I was on a milk run in both directions, it'd be three hours easy. 

People be crazy.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2016, 11:02:36 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 22, 2016, 10:51:55 AM

People be crazy.

That beats driving three hours a day and people do that too.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2016, 11:08:37 AM »
It might not be everybody's cup of tea, but the BBC radio website is accessible from anywhere and has loads and loads of comedy.  Some of it's pish but there are some consistently excellent shows:

I'm Sorry, I Haven't a Clue
The News Quiz
The Now Show
John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme
The Consultants
The Unbelievable Truth
Newsjack
Jeremy Hardy Speaks to the Nation

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/programmes/genres/comedy/player/episodes.  There's a BBC radio app, too, which you can't download if you're outside the UK: but the apk file is readily available online for Android users.  I have no idea what's available for Apple users because I'm not a teenage girl.

John Finnemore's show this week is properly clever comedy if you want a place to start.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2016, 11:11:47 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 22, 2016, 11:02:36 AM

People be crazy.

On the east coast, yeah--a 90 minute-2 hour drive commute is normal.  I don't know of too many people who regularly drive for more than an hour around here though.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2016, 11:27:20 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on January 22, 2016, 11:11:47 AM

People be crazy.

On the east coast, yeah--a 90 minute-2 hour drive commute is normal.  I don't know of too many people who regularly drive for more than an hour around here though.

When I lived in Boston, my commute was 45 minutes on a good day, 75-90 minutes with decent traffic. 

Probably why I only lasted 10 months there.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2016, 11:32:52 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 22, 2016, 11:27:20 AM

People be crazy.

When I lived in Boston, my commute was 45 minutes on a good day, 75-90 minutes with decent traffic. 

I've never lived more than half an hour away from my place of work, and mostly, I've lived much closer than that.  These days I live ten minutes' bike ride away from my office, and still work from home the whole time anyway.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2016, 12:11:06 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on January 22, 2016, 11:08:37 AM
It might not be everybody's cup of tea, but the BBC radio website is accessible from anywhere and has loads and loads of comedy.  Some of it's pish but there are some consistently excellent shows:

The News Quiz
The Now Show
The Consultants
The Unbelievable Truth
Newsjack

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/programmes/genres/comedy/player/episodes.  There's a BBC radio app, too, which you can't download if you're outside the UK: but the apk file is readily available online for Android users.  I have no idea what's available for Apple users because I'm not a teenage girl.

John Finnemore's show this week is properly clever comedy if you want a place to start.

Like a bunch of patriots are gonna listen to your fancy wine-sipping Eurocasts. You wish.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2016, 04:26:03 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on January 22, 2016, 12:11:06 PM
Quote from: Tonker on January 22, 2016, 11:08:37 AM

The News Quiz
The Now Show
The Consultants
The Unbelievable Truth
Newsjack

Like a bunch of patriots are gonna listen to your fancy wine-sipping Eurocasts. You wish.

Seriously. If I wanted to do that, I'd just turn on PBS and not look at the screen.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2016, 05:17:53 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on January 22, 2016, 11:32:52 AM
Quote from: PenFoe on January 22, 2016, 11:27:20 AM

People be crazy.

I've never lived more than half an hour away from my place of work, and mostly, I've lived much closer than that.  These days I live ten minutes' bike ride away from my office, and still work from home the whole time anyway.

I also am a 10 minute drive away from work. It's been years since I had a longer commute. When I used to take the train, I listened to Howard Stern and his ilk on Sirius.
M'lady.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2016, 07:20:25 PM »
I probably listen to more podcasts than watch TV at this point.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2016, 08:59:29 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on January 22, 2016, 07:33:54 AM
I'd highly advise anyone with an interest in counterculture and Charles Manson to listen to the You Must Remember This series on him and his followers. I just finished and it's been lodged in my brain since I started listening - just thinking about the collateral from his arrival in LA makes my head spin. It's a story that seems too fucked up to be real.

Yea. I listened to 5 episodes today. This is my Winter 2015/16 Serial (which is underwhelming that she's doing such a high profile case)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2016, 10:25:51 AM »
Quote from: thehawk on January 21, 2016, 05:03:09 PM

The Hockeenight Podcast I am one of the 2 in 48 people who like this podcast

If you don't want to commit to the whole thing, I can just call you and laugh at my own jokes for a few minutes.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16