News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Totally Listenable  ( 15,135 )

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Totally Listenable
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2016, 02:33:22 PM »
Verdict is still pending, but I'm part-way through episode 1 (that's all that's been released thusfar) but I'm kind of interested:
http://thewestwingweekly.com/
Joshua Malina and some guy named Hrishikesh Hirway are going through each episode of the West Wing.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2016, 11:03:40 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on March 23, 2016, 02:33:22 PM
Verdict is still pending, but I'm part-way through episode 1 (that's all that's been released thusfar) but I'm kind of interested:
http://thewestwingweekly.com/
Joshua Malina and some guy named Hrishikesh Hirway are going through each episode of the West Wing.

He hosts the Song Exploder podcast, which is cool if you like hearing artists talk about their methods and inspiration.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2016, 08:31:52 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on January 22, 2016, 07:33:54 AM
I'd highly advise anyone with an interest in counterculture and Charles Manson to listen to the You Must Remember This series on him and his followers. I just finished and it's been lodged in my brain since I started listening - just thinking about the collateral from his arrival in LA makes my head spin. It's a story that seems too fucked up to be real.

I may dive into some back episodes to see if they're as captivating as this series - though I doubt they will be.

Comedy Bang Bang is the best comedy podcast going. It's weird but it's essentially some of our best comics making up characters and stuff for an hour to 90 minutes a couple times a week.

Steve Dangle is a gross, man-boy who should be locked up.

On the topic of You Must Remember This, she came out with a series on the Hollywood Blacklist of the 50s. I'm 4 episodes in and it's pretty interesting.

Malcom Gladwell has a podcast called Revisionist History that I'd recommend. The tagline is "Sometimes the past deserves a second chance". He relooks at things in history that he claims have been unjustly overlooked. Of SPORTZ note, he talked about Free Throw shooting, Wilt Chamberlain's 100-point game, and Rick Barry in one recent episode.

The Road To Now is a series of conversations or interviews examining the historical roots that have led to today's society. It features the bassist from the Avett Brothers and some southern professor as hosts. It's a good, cerebral look in to how we have had our world shaped.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2016, 09:07:12 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on July 11, 2016, 08:31:52 AM

Malcom Gladwell has a podcast called Revisionist History that I'd recommend. The tagline is "Sometimes the past deserves a second chance". He relooks at things in history that he claims have been unjustly overlooked. Of SPORTZ note, he talked about Free Throw shooting, Wilt Chamberlain's 100-point game, and Rick Barry in one recent episode.

This was shared on a recent This American Life podcast.  It's pretty typical Gladwell but man, Rick Berry is the kind of asshole that I hope to one day be.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2016, 07:57:25 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on January 21, 2016, 11:14:04 PM
Quote from: Yeti on January 21, 2016, 09:11:19 PM
What do Android users prefer for listening to podcasts? Obviously for Apple, there is iTunes, but it seems to be scattered for Android

I use Podcast Addict.

Google Play added podcasts, which simplified my life nicely

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2016, 12:50:19 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on July 14, 2016, 07:57:25 AM
What do Android users prefer for listening to podcasts? Obviously for Apple, there is iTunes, but it seems to be scattered for Android

I use Podcast Addict.

And while we're kind of on the topic, for iOS users, Overcast is great if you're still searching for a podcast app.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2016, 01:50:59 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on July 14, 2016, 12:50:19 PM
Quote from: Yeti on July 14, 2016, 07:57:25 AM

I use Podcast Addict.

And while we're kind of on the topic, for iOS users, Overcast is great if you're still searching for a podcast app.

RSS Radio too.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2016, 10:53:26 AM »
For those who may be left-leaning in their politics: Chapo Trap House.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2016, 09:58:21 AM »
Quote from: CT III on August 01, 2016, 10:53:26 AM
For those who may be left-leaning in their politics: Chapo Trap House.

Seconded, just discovered this one as well. Any podcast that devotes a significant chunk of time to Baseball Crank discussion is good in my book.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2016, 02:36:26 PM »
Dear L-rd, this thread has devolved into podcasts? ("This Week in Virology" is simply too unfocused to really hold my attention, which is a bummer.)

But anyway, the reason I chose to dig this one up is that I was just sharply reminded that I pretty much owe Pat Hues and, yes, the Coom Dawg for keeping me relatively sane during the months of this season.*

I'm grateful.

* WHPK has also been shut down for some time as the result of some insane bedbug negotiations. Oh, and the cheap-ass fuckwits at WBEZ have learned nothing; the (charming) Vinyl Cafe and (usually inoffensive) Ideas from the CBC have been ditched in favor of rerunning a river of yet more pseudohipster shit to try to raise Malatia from the dead.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2016, 08:48:18 AM »
If you can find them anywhere, and like CBC stuff, I'd heartily recommend the Dead Dog Cafe. They are really clever and enjoyable shows.
M'lady.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2016, 12:34:31 PM »
Just started listening to Crimetown, which is pretty self-explanatory - each season will explore some of the more colorful criminals related to a specific city.  1st season is Providence and I'm liking it so far.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2017, 10:11:33 PM »
ABC TV in Chicago decided that this was unlistenable, so they suspended (fired?) the sportscaster, Giangreco, who said it:

"Prominent Chicago sportscaster suspended for calling America a 'country full of simpletons' and Trump a 'cartoon lunatic' "

Strange.  I could listen to that all day.

If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2017, 07:21:47 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on February 24, 2017, 10:11:33 PM
ABC TV in Chicago decided that this was unlistenable, so they suspended (fired?) the sportscaster, Giangreco, who said it:

"Prominent Chicago sportscaster suspended for calling America a 'country full of simpletons' and Trump a 'cartoon lunatic' "

He's got more time to make out with Janet Davies.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2017, 11:47:52 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on February 26, 2017, 07:21:47 PM
Quote from: CBStew on February 24, 2017, 10:11:33 PM

He's got more time to make out with Janet Davies.

*Shudders*
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen